96 land cruiser -power steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK The latest on the power steering problems with my 96 land crusier. Steering was locking up at low speed turns like in a parking lot. I had a long term slow power steering leak in the pump so I replaced the pump and hi pressure hose with new Toyota equipment. This did not fix problem, so the gearbox was replaced with rebuilt equipment. This did not fix the problem so the gear box was replaced with another rebuilt one. Still did not fix the problem. The new power steering pump and hose were replaced a second time with new Toyota parts. Steering now works great BUT the system is very noisey. It has a tick -tick -tick noise that quiets down when turning the wheel but resumes when the wheel is not being turned. Any ideas?

Matt
Corpus Christi, Texas
96 land cruiser
97 camry
01 4 runner

tell me more

About the noise you now have. And am I reading correctly that a new hose fixed the low speed hard steering?

I can't say it was the hose that fixed the problem. The hose, pump and gear box were all replaced twice. First time around the pump and hose were replaced at the same time and still had the problem. Next step was the gear box and still had the problem. Replaced gear box a second time and still had problem. Replaced pump and hose a second time and steering now workd but is very noisey.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom