96 Land Cruiser or 99 4Runner?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've read many posts on comparing the two vehicles, and actually own one of each at the moment. Here's a little info on what I have:

99 4Runner is completely stock, V6, Auto, 212k miles, with factory rear e-locker.

96 Land Cruiser is also completely stock with 185k miles - with no lockers.

Both of them are in very good condition, and I'm having a tough time choosing which one to keep, as I'm going to be building the one that I do keep. In the past, I have owned an 87 Samurai and an 02 Wrangler TJ. I'm a little biased towards solid axle vehicles due to their superior off road capability, however, I do like the 4-runner as it's easier on the wallet when it comes to gas as well as modding it. At most, here's what I would do to each:

99 4Runner: Sonoran Steel 1.2 Suspension or similar lift, Addicted off road tube bumper package (front, back, & sliders), Total Chaos Upper A-Arms (not sure if this is even a need), Front ARB Locker, & 33-35" tires.

96 Land Cruiser: OME lift, Slee front & rear bumpers with custom sliders, Front & Rear ARB Lockers, with 35" tires.

So far, I have taken both vehicles in stock form on the same trail (Rowher 4x4 trail in SoCal). I have only taken the stock running boards off both vehicles, and reduced the air pressure on stock (road) tires to 20psi. The Land Cruiser feels so much more at home on the trail, and outperformed the 4-runner, as it was able to go up some steep sections that the 4-runner could not (without use of the rear diff lock engaged).

I'm not sure how much more capable the 4Runner will be with the mods I have mentioned above. I feel that the land cruiser is a superior vehicle (due to the solid axle), however it does have a couple of drawbacks for what I'm going to be using it for. I do like technical trails, and the Land Cruiser is much wider than a 4-runner. That being said... for you experienced wheelers out there, my question is, with the mods I have listed above, will the 4Runner be nearly as capable as the Land Cruiser, or will I regret it if I end up keeping the 4-runner?? Thank you in advance for all your advice!!

Here's a few pictures of the two. I'm sure many of you have wheeled with 4-Runners out there right? How do they compare? The way I see it...

- 4Runner is better on... Gas, technical tight trails, cheaper mods, rear sliding window, can drift it in 2wd! ;)

- Land Cruiser is better on having... more space (can seat 7 if needed), solid axle (this is what I would miss most I think if I choose the 4Runner), Less to modify, safer in an accident, fold-down tailgate... and it's becoming a collectors item!

TLC1.jpg

TLC2.jpg

4Rnr1.jpg

4Rnr2.jpg

I own both and keeping both. I personally don't like wheeling the 4r even though I know it can. I used it for my kid hauler, work, ski trips, DD. The cruiser is for anything I want to wheel or camping, etc.

I know it doesn't help much.

Yeah, wish I could keep both, but I already have a couple of other cars, and need to choose one of these. Neither of these vehicles will be my daily driver. I will be using it MOST of the time to run trails out here in CA, and someday (in the next year or two) want to run the Rubicon Trail as well. It will be used once in while for family trips and towing/hauling stuff.

If that is the case I would keep the 80.

I own both as well...

I don't like wheeling the 4runner as the 80 is far superior for the bush. The 4R endlessly gets stuck while my buddy's 80 (with ARB lockers) just trots along. Other things I have run into on the 4R is the weak steering rack, LBJs, tie rods (can't get the thing 100% comfortable on the highway), IFS (compared to solid front), and less robust design.

If it is your trail rig and not DD then keep the 80.

I own both as well...

I don't like wheeling the 4runner as the 80 is far superior for the bush. The 4R endlessly gets stuck while my buddy's 80 (with ARB lockers) just trots along. Other things I have run into on the 4R is the weak steering rack, LBJs, tie rods (can't get the thing 100% comfortable on the highway), IFS (compared to solid front), and less robust design.

If it is your trail rig and not DD then keep the 80.

:bang: Yep, dealing with that right now after what I would consider a very light wheeling trip to a local camp spot over a dried up creek bed.

The 4runners are everywhere, if you decide you want another one, they are a dime a dozen. If you know your 80 is a good one, keep it, they are getting harder and harder to find not beat into the ground. Plus having more space is always a good thing, there are very few areas I think that the external size difference is going to make that big of a deal on the trail. Scratches down the side look cool anyway! :beer:

:bang: Yep, dealing with that right now after what I would consider a very light wheeling trip to a local camp spot over a dried up creek bed.

I hear ya, it's a pain in the ass. I've had to change all my TRs, welded the slip joint, new bushings and still need to replace my rack guide.

The 4runners are everywhere, if you decide you want another one, they are a dime a dozen. If you know your 80 is a good one, keep it, they are getting harder and harder to find not beat into the ground. Plus having more space is always a good thing, there are very few areas I think that the external size difference is going to make that big of a deal on the trail. Scratches down the side look cool anyway! :beer:

x2. 4Runners are everywhere, which is no fun anyways :flipoff2:

I had a 98 4runner, 4x4, manual with Sonoran Steel 2.1, manual hub conversion, Tundra 231mm brakes, 16x8 pro-comps, 33" tires and sliders. No locker but that thing could go most places. It also was only getting 18-19 mpg. :( I miss that truck and would like to buy it back but I told my wife that it now has 240k miles. She freaks out at anything past 80k miles and 5 years old. I told her about the 97 LC I am going to look at Saturday and she said it is so old. My best friend said if 97 is old what does that make her.

I guess I would say the 80 in stock form wheels awesome. The 4r I feel like everyone I know that wheels them has a ton into it them to get where the 80 is stock. IMHO.

Haha, I posted in your thread over on t4r.org.

My vote goes to the cruiser as well. I have owned 2 modified and locked 3rd gen 4runners, but I always half expect to break something on the trail. Stronger axles, easier to fit 35 or bigger rubber. Gas is more, maintenance has it's plusses and minuses. Since it's not a DD, the 80 is an easy choice.

We have owned both.

I would choose the 4R for daily driving, and the Land Cruiser for offroad/camping duties.

That is not to say they 80 can't do both, just the Runner is more suited to DD'ing, and the 3.4 is really really hard to break.

Thanks for all the replies guys! Doing a SAS on the 4Runner is out of the question, as I'm not that keen on all the work & money involved. I initially was, and now even more biased towards keeping the Cruiser after reading all your replies!

You won't regret going with the Land Cruiser.

I've sunk a chunk of money on my 4runner and it's still less capable than my stock locked HDJ81.

I guess the only other decision I need to make is do I add ARB's to mine, or sell my cruiser and be patient for a 97 with factory lockers! Mine is a 96.

ARB's in your non-factory locked axles will be stronger than e-lockers. I would stick with what you've got and get ARB's. Plus it makes OBA super easy.

I have ARB's front and rear in my 62 and they are less finicky to operate than the e lockers, which often take some wiggling and squirming to engage/disengage.

I'm impartial to e-lock vs arb debate here. But will say unless you snatch up some complete e-locked axles for relatively cheap I would save for ARB's. The swap isn't that hard, but does take some time and room to do it. Main reason I went e-locks is I ended up with 80 parts truck for the cost of 2 locked axels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom