96 Land Cruiser 325,000 Miles - Worth fixing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's nutty money. You should get a 2nd opinion for sure, and some of those parts may not need replacing at all - just the shop spending your money. I did our 285k all original front axle in a single day with parts from Cruiser Outfitters a few weeks ago. Nothing worn out, just worn in and not clicking. Sure you could make that entire axle new save the hollow housing and that's what the shop is salivating to want you to do. That's crazy just for clicking birfs. I see you're new, but swap the birfs side to side so they're wearing on the opposite surfaces and clicking goes away, then new seals and grease and drive off. Your mechanic clearly has a boat payment to make or something.

I have done labor for a front axle rebuild on another mudders rig for beer and lunch. There’s people willing to help.
and i have been on the receiving end of said help with my old club, it is just nuts and bolts nothing fancy so put a word out in you local area and you would be surprised who will help and or who you will meet. lots of times there are others in your same boat want to use it as a time to learn.

cheers

Recently took my 96 LC in for front end work and got a quote for almost $6000 for OEM parts and labor from a reputable LC shop. It needs new birfields, inner R/L shafts, spindles, Hub flange, and wheel bearings. Biggest cost is the birfields ($1050 each).

I have seen on these forums that aftermarket birfields (longfields, etc) are great for off roading but not recommended for daily driving. The LC is my daily driver and I had hoped to get her up to 500k. I typically drive 25k miles a year.

I get a vehicle needs TLC when they reach a certain mileage but my primary concern is putting another $6k in a vehicle with 325k miles. We have had the vehicle since it has 110k so it has been well taken care of but this last quote has me scratching my head. Am I crazy? Thoughts?

It sounds you don't wheel hard the truck. I can see the need to replace some parts, but don't see the need for r/l shafts, and hub flange. Birfield clicking sound can be easily taken care of by swaping sides. I did this 12years / 150k miles ago and it is still good. I would definitely take it to another shop for a second opinion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom