96' Headlights Randomly Coming On While Vehicle is Off and Locked

Alright Electrical Gurus -

I'm stumped.
For the last year or so i've had my headlights randomly coming on at night, day, whenever, when the vehicle is locked and in park.
This morning I got a call that my headlights were on... the switch was on, but they turn off with the vehicle.
I've also had this happen with the switch OFF.
I replaced the headlight relay a few months ago which seemed to solve the issue at the time.
Additionally i replaced the fuses as they were original and didn't look great, but were not popped.
I'm stumped. I've checked wiring, haven't found any cuts/nicks or something. I can't believe another OEM relay already failed.
I'm running the 8005/06 bulbs trimmed to fit if that makes any difference.
Searched and didn't find anything similar. Anyone have any ideas?

clx16

SILVER Star
Have you checked for a short? Grab the wires and wiggle them around up front. The short to ground right? Is it low beams or brights?

I accidently shorted mine and they came one once.

Have you checked for a short? Grab the wires and wiggle them around up front. The short to ground right? Is it low beams or brights?

I accidently shorted mine and they came one once.
Low beams. I haven't found any shorts anywhere looking through the engine bay. I'll take a deeper dive though, that would make sense. I wonder if having other items on the shared ground could cause it. The weird thing is it'll randomly happen after sitting a few days, not right after turning off the truck or something.
In this case the cruiser has been parked a week, no issues, til this AM they came on.

77mustard40

SILVER Star
Do you have one of the port installed security systems? Just a guess as my lights come on for 30 seconds when I lock or unlock with my key fob which is part of arming the 1990's era security system.

Do you have one of the port installed security systems? Just a guess as my lights come on for 30 seconds when I lock or unlock with my key fob which is part of arming the 1990's era security system.
I do. Wondering if that could be the culprit. It’s worked fine 99% of the time (besides the few times it’s been totally unresponsive for a bit of time). Id really love not losing the fob access.

I consider myself lucky, The Bean didn't come with a fob, so I never got used to it.
The security system locked my out a couple times while I was working on the truck, luckily the spare key was in the house.
I ripped The Bean's system out by the roots one day after it angered me enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom