96 FZJ80 Seller Scam? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Price is way to high for the miles and condition...sounds sketchy with locker dial with possibly no lockers...

IME some people "assume" these have a timing belt like many other vehicles, so if someone says it was changed it could be an honest mistake if they're the type who just drops their vehicle off at the garage and picks it up the next day. A lot of people just don't pay attention to details.

Last edited:
of course! seller is asking $14,500 so well above what I would expect for an unlocked, even for a locked this would need a bit of work and the exterior is not great. However I think on principle I will avoid this one because this whole locker thing smells fishy to me. No service records either even though the seller claims it was religiously serviced every 3k miles and timing belt just replaced...

Holy crapballs Batman! I got mine with 1/2 the miles for 1/10th of the price!

Or, he added the switch to lock the CDL, not actually triple locked.

On the VIN sticker on the door, it should show K294 if Factory triple locked. (K292 for open diffs)

There is always the possibility it has aftermarket lockers.

Need more detail and receipts to prove it to you one way or the other.

This is all you need to know! If I run across an 80 that the ad says has lockers, I ask for a pic of the door tag.

and the timing chain is a lifetime item, you adjust valve clearance not replace the timing belt or chain.

are you talking about a locker dial down by the steering wheel as per the picture earlier in this thread or are you referring to a push button above the radio on the centre part of the dash?

and the timing chain is a lifetime item, you adjust valve clearance not replace the timing belt or chain.

are you talking about a locker dial down by the steering wheel as per the picture earlier in this thread or are you referring to a push button above the radio on the centre part of the dash?

The locker dial near the steering wheel

This is all you need to know! If I run across an 80 that the ad says has lockers, I ask for a pic of the door tag.
:meh: I did an axle swap, tag don't match the OEM setup I had.

Just referring to OEM from factory options. If mud has taught me anything its that you can retrofit just about anything on these rigs.
Sure but door tag don’t mean much. Putting on my “ask me” button

Well since it doesn’t have a timing belt...

Hey, C'mon, let's give the seller the benefit of the doubt - it might have been the T-Belt in the Gturboed 1HD-FT his elderly mother also has just swapped in...lol!

Seriously tho, definitely walk, or make an offer to the seller of what you'd be willing to pay for the truck and state the reasons for your offer, ie no lockers, hesitancy regarding the maintenance etc. If he whinges, walk.

Post up the add. It’s probably one of the know scammers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom