96 FZJ 80 No reverse when cold (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

desmocruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
My 96’ 80 has an issue going into reverse when the transmission is cold.

After being driven it seems to have no issue shifting into Reverse, however if it is cold and you need to back up, It does not engage for a very long time.

Truck has 112k miles.
All other gears work perfectly, when the the truck is cold or hot.

Is there a fix other than a new transmission?

Last edited:
Just following up with this issue.

I adjusted the drop down cable and it seemed to help the issue, in fact early on I don’t recall an occurrence of not going into reverse when cold, however I typically back into the garage so I haven’t created many chances for it to occur.

Here are few other facts of recent “odd” transmission performance:

• I tried the process of changing the trans fluid by pumping the fluid out, engine running and lines disconnected as indicated in several threads and I could not get any fluid to pump out.

• Recently while pulling a trailer ~1000 lbs, the transmission became very hot, no performance issue, just the console became hot to touch, think subwoofer area on LX 450 or square cubby on LC.

• The transmission seems to do it more frequently (when cold) and now the quick fixes, such as shifting to low range or going through the gears from low back to park doesn’t seem to make reverse engage as it had previously.

It still seems odd that the transmission has failed due to perfect warm performance and all issues are just in reverse after cold start up.

Any ideas to pursue prior to attempting to locate a low mileage used unit (no new unit at available)?

Just following up with this issue.

I adjusted the drop down cable and it seemed to help the issue, in fact early on I don’t recall an occurrence of not going into reverse when cold, however I typically back into the garage so I haven’t created many chances for it to occur.

Here are few other facts of recent “odd” transmission performance:

• I tried the process of changing the trans fluid by pumping the fluid out, engine running and lines disconnected as indicated in several threads and I could not get any fluid to pump out.

• Recently while pulling a trailer ~1000 lbs, the transmission became very hot, no performance issue, just the console became hot to touch, think subwoofer area on LX 450 or square cubby on LC.

• The transmission seems to do it more frequently (when cold) and now the quick fixes, such as shifting to low range or going through the gears from low back to park doesn’t seem to make reverse engage as it had previously.

It still seems odd that the transmission has failed due to perfect warm performance and all issues are just in reverse after cold start up.

Any ideas to pursue prior to attempting to locate a low mileage used unit (no new unit at available)?
Can you take a picture of the lines you disconnected to flush he transmission fluid?

A far as the console getting hot while driving, that happens all the time, whether or not you are pulling a trailer. That's more related to the catalytic converters and their location cooking the floor and console. It always keep my coffee warm, but my ice cold drinks don;t last long.

Seems to me your fluid level may be low. Are you checking your transmission fluid level AFTER driving it for 10+ miles (more is better), and while the engine is running with it in Park?

Does this truck sit a LOT? Dis-use is really hard on vehicles.

I followed this thread and disconnected this line:

020BED86-ACA5-438D-8A3C-A0F0ED40B3B5.jpeg
020BED86-ACA5-438D-8A3C-A0F0ED40B3B5.jpeg

Fluid level is correct and I drive the truck every week or so, it gets fairly regular usage.

You should be getting full flow from that line, a solid "pencil stream" coming out until you hear the pump gurgle and grind.

There was another guy on here that had a similar problem and it ended up he had a pinched line between the trans and the cooler.

I don;t recall if his was a soft line or a hard line.

I'm not sure how long you've owned this truck, but maybe someone bypassed the cooler? That would make sense why no oil came out. It may have been bypassed further under the hood.

Trace your lines from the cooler all the way to the connection on the trans, the best you can. Maybe someone smashed a steel line with a jack or a hammer or kinked a soft line. That would make it not work so well.

Thanks!

I will check for a compromise in the line.

I started to think about that with the trans hump temps the other day, I am pretty familiar with this truck have owned it for 10+ years and have driven 80’s for the past 15+ and this one was unusual, I often put my phone in that area and it became so hot, it shut down.

This made me think, along with the recent trans fluid exchange attempt that there was an issue with fluid flowing properly.

Can’t help but wonder if lack of flow/pressure could also create the reverse issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom