96 blown trans and possible engine (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks like he is going to bring it to me this coming weekend. I will let you know what we find.
Another truck to part out? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

So we had a chance to look over the truck and it has a mean knock to it. Thinking either a bearing is roasted or a head gasket leak caused a bent rod. The extra heat from the engine might have caused it to boil out some transmission fluid. Still unsure why it was leaking transmission fluid.

we are going to drian the oil and look for metal and drop the pans to see what that noise is but pretty sure the bottom end is done for.

Will update more as we dig into it further.

Last edited:
So we cut open the oil filter, not looking so hot.
PXL_20220723_150039753.jpg
PXL_20220723_150155606.jpg

Was an engine now a core. That's unfortunate. I am guessing there is no way to know if the trans has any damage yet. I would imagine it is fine.

Was an engine now a core. That's unfortunate. I am guessing there is no way to know if the trans has any damage yet. I would imagine it is fine.
We are also thinking it's fine. Really considering just putting in a new engine and running the trans that's in there. Sadly there is no way to test it until the engine is fixed.

We are also thinking it's fine. Really considering just putting in a new engine and running the trans that's in there. Sadly there is no way to test it until the engine is fixed.
Do you know anyone that may have one?

So is that oil sludge with metal particles in the bottom of the oil pan? Any water contamination?

Reasons for the sludge (poor maintenance history, blocked PCV system, ---??)

Do you know anyone that may have one?
Sadly I don't know a known good OBD2. We have picked the path of complete rebuild. My local shop is going to do the rebuild for us. They give a 12 month 12k mile warranty and have done them in the past.

Several in forklifts, one for me personally, 2 heads for me and then several for our local dealer over the years. They are a fantastic old school machine shop with near anal attention to detail. The kind of people Joey and Dan would love to sit around and bs with.
So is that oil sludge with metal particles in the bottom of the oil pan? Any water contamination?

Reasons for the sludge (poor maintenance history, blocked PCV system, ---??)
It's a bunch of sludge and a bunch of metal. I did not drain any water which is odd. Sadly service history of the vehicle is unknown for the first 23 years or so but the current owner has had it a year and driven out west and back. It is high on the miles but we did take a very cheap oil filter off. I am one of those purist that only runs Toyota filters and I won't say that caused it but I hate the dry start ups cheap filters give without the check ball in them.

It's a been forever but we finally have updates. The supply chain issues made getting parts take way longer than it should. Just got the engine back from the machine shop. Some progress pics. Will get everything swapped over the next few days and should have it running again sometime next week
PXL_20230117_010509388.MP.jpg
PXL_20230117_010514088.jpg
PXL_20230117_010535659.jpg

So the engine is back in and bolted down. Over the next few days we will get all the little stuff hooked up but we have one tiny oring backordered. Should be in any day now but we won't be able to drive it without that sensor plugged up.

Once it's going we will put about 50 miles and 10 heat cycles or so to check the transmission. When it was pulled into the shop it shifted into 2nd just fine but no real way to test the trans without an engine.
PXL_20230122_200243344.jpg

Well yesterday evening @96LC80 loaded it up and drove back to Florida. Drove it around for 50+ miles and had no signs of transmission problems. He did a 10 mile or so trip around with and also noticed nothing wrong so we feel very confident it was all engine related.

In a few weeks I will tear the engine down that came from his truck to prepare it for rebuild for the next customer and will post what I find. We know for sure it got the crank but more pictures are always fun for everyone.

He came out under 10k and that included a knuckle rebuild. Half his hoses had been replaced within the last few years so we left them alone but did go with ARP studs and a couple of extra upgrades like a new engine harness that most people don't "need" but are nice to do if you can afford it while it's all torn apart.

El G.O.A.T. de Rojo would not be back on the road if not each of you recommending @slow95z and his compatriot, Steven, at Thomas Automotive. (Don’t judge me on the tow rig, I got what I could in the moment for the 700 miles round trip pickup.) After getting it back home, I’ve put another 50 or so miles and certainly have a difference in the quietness of the engine, smooth acceleration, and pleasure of driving. Original post had concern about the transmission and as of now it shifts smoothly and holds fluids. Time to change the battery and tighten the steering and she’s set for another couple of years.

Understanding Chris is a bit of a legend through this forum, let me tell the newer Cruisers. He is a down to earth dude that is doing greatness for this community. He did not hesitate to help me out and gave the best options for each of my questions. Chris kept this thread updated as soon as development occurred which gives good insight as to the timeline of a rebuilt engine in his neck of the woods. I appreciate the craftsmanship as much as I do his dealing with my anxiety driven text messages.

My only complaint about the entire situation is that damn muddy shop lot #ih8mud

7355F546-C937-481F-AF11-535EAAED5E18.jpeg

Man all that rain and then the construction next door. So much mud. So glad you are enjoying it again and if you have any questions just reach out here or by text.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom