96 blown trans and possible engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need some quality advice on what’s next.

Some backstory, living in Lakeland FL and drive to Destin (320 miles) over the weekend to visit and get radius arms installed with a buddy and got an oil change. On the drive home I noticed coolant temps rising to 195-215 consistently around 208. Normally it’s just below 190. Coolant levels were normal and topped up a little, everything stayed the same. With about 159 miles remaining I lose power at 70 mph. Engines revs but no acceleration. Still able to get rolling in reverse, first and second gear. When I pull in the rest area I’m spewing trans fluid. I’d heard a grinding noise for a few months when letting off the accelerator and taken it to two dealers and two shops, nobody can hear the noise or feel the rumble in the floor. Come to find out it was a trans bearing and went out in the drive causing the gears to burn up. Shop says it’s ~$4k to rebuild. Photo shows where the fluid was leaking.

Trans guy says he cautions rebuilding because the engine looks bad. ODO says 290k but don’t know how long 35s have rolling so may be much higher. There’s a new rattle when upshifting. I’m wondering if the high coolant temp caused more issues before I could get it home. The radiator is new as of October and dealer installed. Coolant flush at the same time. I’ve needed to replace the power steering canister as it leaks getting fluid across the battery box and hoses on driver side.

I didn’t purchase the rig knowing it would be perfect, just didn’t expect many major issues. Considering and engine transmission swap but don’t know enough about the price point or who to trust. A few questions hoping to trigger some guidance:
1. Any reputable 80 series shops in the Orlando, Lakeland, Tampa area?
2. What are some pricing options for engine and trans swap?
3. Would a 1993 transmission be a direct fit on a 1996? A friend has one he’d give if I go get it.

Long post but hoping I have enough info for quality input. Thanks for all you guys and gals do for the community

12C3EA45-E3F4-4E62-B895-936850A6287A.jpeg

Not much to help you on the engine part "looks bad" doesn't meant anything. But you can buy a used transmission from a couple places, including one in ga @slow95z. He might even have an engine that looks good.

Last edited:
Is that your photo? That is a fairly common area for engine oil to accumulate via a pan gasket leak. You're 100% sure that it is transmission fluid?

Not much to help you on the engine ciar "looks bad" doesn't meant anything. But you can buy a used transmission from a couple places, including one in ga @slow95z. He might even have an engine that looks good.
I’ll reach out. I haven’t yet had the engine looked at after the trans tech made the comment. All of this is developing as of late yesterday and this morning so unable really say what the engine is doing. That’s where question 1 comes in so maybe I can get it to someone decently close for a much better assessment

Is that your photo? That is a fairly common area for engine oil to accumulate via a pan gasket leak. You're 100% sure that it is transmission fluid?
It’s the photo I took right after shutting off the engine. I feel pretty good about it being trans fluid. Swiped a finger through the puddle and it was more red than golden

Need some quality advice on what’s next.

Some backstory, living in Lakeland FL and drive to Destin (320 miles) over the weekend to visit and get radius arms installed with a buddy and got an oil change. On the drive home I noticed coolant temps rising to 195-215 consistently around 208. Normally it’s just below 190. Coolant levels were normal and topped up a little, everything stayed the same. With about 159 miles remaining I lose power at 70 mph. Engines revs but no acceleration. Still able to get rolling in reverse, first and second gear. When I pull in the rest area I’m spewing trans fluid. I’d heard a grinding noise for a few months when letting off the accelerator and taken it to two dealers and two shops, nobody can hear the noise or feel the rumble in the floor. Come to find out it was a trans bearing and went out in the drive causing the gears to burn up. Shop says it’s ~$4k to rebuild. Photo shows where the fluid was leaking.

Trans guy says he cautions rebuilding because the engine looks bad. ODO says 290k but don’t know how long 35s have rolling so may be much higher. There’s a new rattle when upshifting. I’m wondering if the high coolant temp caused more issues before I could get it home. The radiator is new as of October and dealer installed. Coolant flush at the same time. I’ve needed to replace the power steering canister as it leaks getting fluid across the battery box and hoses on driver side.

I didn’t purchase the rig knowing it would be perfect, just didn’t expect many major issues. Considering and engine transmission swap but don’t know enough about the price point or who to trust. A few questions hoping to trigger some guidance:
1. Any reputable 80 series shops in the Orlando, Lakeland, Tampa area?
2. What are some pricing options for engine and trans swap?
3. Would a 1993 transmission be a direct fit on a 1996? A friend has one he’d give if I go get it.

Long post but hoping I have enough info for quality input. Thanks for all you guys and gals do for the community

View attachment 3059651
The 93 transmission is different than the 96. A 96 will be an A343F.

An engine that "looks bad" means nothing. 290K on these is reasonable, but may be near a rebuild time.

Your higher than normal engine temps could be directly linked to an overheating transmission and the additional load the engine is trying to overcome with a bad bearing.

Focus on the transmission first, as it is the reason you're not going anywhere.

It can be dropped and replaced with the engine in place (make sure to remove shrouds and fan and such on the engine so they don't get broken with the dropping of the trans.)

@slow95z is a good guy and can get you fixed up with necessary parts. He is SE of ATL.
You MAY need to change the radiator due to the transmission failure, as there MAY be debris in the cooler lines now that will contaminate a new to you transmission. Either way, a THOROUGH flush of the radiator transmission cooler is a MUST before any transmission is installed.

Have the main seals on the T-Case replaced while things are apart. If you are not sure about noises, possibly have the T-Case rebuilt at the same time, just for being sure and doing the "While I'm In There" thing.

Just find a used low mileage tranny for the swap. I just replaced my A440F tranny recently due to overheating, but it had hard driven miles up steep grade and constant 2nd and 3rd gear @ 4k for the past 5 yrs. The grinding noise when let off could be from the drive shaft and pinion angle when lifted....good luck

The 93 transmission is different than the 96. A 96 will be an A343F.

An engine that "looks bad" means nothing. 290K on these is reasonable, but may be near a rebuild time.

Your higher than normal engine temps could be directly linked to an overheating transmission and the additional load the engine is trying to overcome with a bad bearing.

Focus on the transmission first, as it is the reason you're not going anywhere.

It can be dropped and replaced with the engine in place (make sure to remove shrouds and fan and such on the engine so they don't get broken with the dropping of the trans.)

@slow95z is a good guy and can get you fixed up with necessary parts. He is SE of ATL.
You MAY need to change the radiator due to the transmission failure, as there MAY be debris in the cooler lines now that will contaminate a new to you transmission. Either way, a THOROUGH flush of the radiator transmission cooler is a MUST before any transmission is installed.

Have the main seals on the T-Case replaced while things are apart. If you are not sure about noises, possibly have the T-Case rebuilt at the same time, just for being sure and doing the "While I'm In There" thing.
Sent @slow95z a message. Transmission is definitely the start and makes sense for high ECT. I’ll also discuss what the mech who has the truck workload looks like for the rebuild or swap.

Just find a used low mileage tranny for the swap. I just replaced my A440F tranny recently due to overheating, but it had hard driven miles up steep grade and constant 2nd and 3rd gear @ 4k for the past 5 yrs. The grinding noise when let off could be from the drive shaft and pinion angle when lifted....good luck
This is a first transmission issue I’ve had. Are there any recommendations on where to begin looking for quality used transmissions?

Rebuilding the the transmission will be significantly cheaper than swapping it for another used one. And you'll have a new transmission, too. In addition to budgeting $650 for the overhaul kit required, you need to add $250 or so for a new (or rebuilt, if you can find one) torque converter. The torque converter will be suspect because is shares fluid with the transmission, and cannot be inspected without destructively opening it. At that point, it's better to rebuild it anyway.

If there are cheaper, low mileage A343Fs lying around, I'd like to know where they are.

The diagnosis of "trans bearing went out causing the gears to burn up" doesn't make sense and doesn't sound like it came from someone who knows anything about automatic transmissions.

The likely cause of transmission failure in A343F transmissions is worn clutch plates and steels. It's possible an associated bearing failure happened, but it's not possible to know until the case is opened. It's also possible, but unlikely, that the planetary gear housing clutch(es) failed, but again, that's unknowable until the case is opened and inspected. I'd get a second opinion, from someone who can provide references for their work. I absolutely wouldn't trust the word of whoever gave you the diagnosis of the transmission failure to tell me about the condition of my engine.

IMHO, transmission repair shops are thieves and should be shut down. Most prey on people who don't know what is inside their transmissions, have to have the work done, and have no choice but to trust them. There may be a trustworthy, competent transmission repair shop left in this country, but I wouldn't begin to know where to look for it.

Rebuilding the the transmission will be significantly cheaper than swapping it for another used one. And you'll have a new transmission, too. In addition to budgeting $650 for the overhaul kit required, you need to add $250 or so for a new (or rebuilt, if you can find one) torque converter. The torque converter will be suspect because is shares fluid with the transmission, and cannot be inspected without destructively opening it. At that point, it's better to rebuild it anyway.

If there are cheaper, low mileage A343Fs lying around, I'd like to know where they are.

The diagnosis of "trans bearing went out causing the gears to burn up" doesn't make sense and doesn't sound like it came from someone who knows anything about automatic transmissions.

The likely cause of transmission failure in A343F transmissions is worn clutch plates and steels. It's possible an associated bearing failure happened, but it's not possible to know until the case is opened. It's also possible, but unlikely, that the planetary gear housing clutch(es) failed, but again, that's unknowable until the case is opened and inspected. I'd get a second opinion, from someone who can provide references for their work. I absolutely wouldn't trust the word of whoever gave you the diagnosis of the transmission failure to tell me about the condition of my engine.

IMHO, transmission repair shops are thieves and should be shut down. Most prey on people who don't know what is inside their transmissions, have to have the work done, and have no choice but to trust them. There may be a trustworthy, competent transmission repair shop left in this country, but I wouldn't begin to know where to look for it.
Absolutely hated and enjoyed reading your post for the candor. I’ve already considered getting a second opinion. TBH I was fairly tired when the guy called. What I will do is, and should have done before posting, call the guy again and record the conversation for reference.

I'm in the process of rebuilding a A343F for a 2000 LX470, which, although not identical, is similar in many respects. LMK if I can help you out.

This is a first transmission issue I’ve had. Are there any recommendations on where to begin looking for quality used transmissions?
Post on the Classifieds: WTB...I was able to locate one in short order for around $500 shipped.

"a THOROUGH flush of the radiator transmission cooler is a MUST before any transmission is installed."

Absolutely. I had an automatic transmission replaced a long time ago, they missed this step and damaged the replacement.

"transmission repair shops are thieves and should be shut down."

Sad but true, try to find a privately owned company, but even then it's difficult
to find honest people who know what they're doing. You might ask the local Toyota dealer service dept (in person) or a local Land Cruiser mechanic who they trust for a transmission rebuild.

I second @slow95z for good used parts and @cruisermatt has a Land Cruiser shop in Florida.
Thanks for mentioning @cruisermatt, he’s an hour from me.

"a THOROUGH flush of the radiator transmission cooler is a MUST before any transmission is installed."

Absolutely. I had an automatic transmission replaced a long time ago, they missed this step and damaged the replacement.

"transmission repair shops are thieves and should be shut down."

Sad but true, try to find a privately owned company, but even then it's difficult
to find honest people who know what they're doing. You might ask the local Toyota dealer service dept (in person) or a local Land Cruiser mechanic who they trust for a transmission rebuild.
For this reason I reached out to the community. I’d rather have someone passionate to keep these running and make a dollar than someone solely worrying about getting the next dollar.

How was the engine running before the transmission went out? If your opinion came from any shop that doesn't work generically on Toyota's (*and specifically on 80-series LandCruisers), they may look at the odometer at 290k miles and making a bet they can wrangle an engine rebuild charge into this repair...

Definitely get it to a shop that works on LandCruisers. Every one I've talked to agrees that anyone with the passion for them is looking out for one another, and you're more likely to get the straight scoop. Good luck,

How was the engine running before the transmission went out? If your opinion came from any shop that doesn't work generically on Toyota's (*and specifically on 80-series LandCruisers), they may look at the odometer at 290k miles and making a bet they can wrangle an engine rebuild charge into this repair...

Definitely get it to a shop that works on LandCruisers. Every one I've talked to agrees that anyone with the passion for them is looking out for one another, and you're more likely to get the straight scoop. Good luck,
Everything seemed normal except the ECT. Downshifted to pass and get up interstate hills. Had the normal acceleration and maintained speed they cruise control. Then it just quit accelerating but engine would rev up. Had a rough idle when I stopped but no issues cranking or moving around in reverse and forward to negotiate the tow truck.

I’ve figured out regular shops and dealerships see just an old vehicle on its last leg and don’t want the liability of doing something and it breaking down.

I'll bet you the engine is fine. Focus on the trans and see what options you have there,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom