95fzj80 with ARB VS Dodge Intrepid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Glad to see everyone was OK. A little more speed and the outcome could have been much worse for the lady in the Dodge. We have an '06 Corolla for a parts chaser/errand runner, and it scares me to think how that would hold up to a head-on or offset hit from a truck/SUV.

Just out of curiosity, how did a head on collision happen on that side of the road. Good to hear know one was hurt.

Just out of curiosity, how did a head on collision happen on that side of the road. Good to hear know one was hurt.

I was in the right lane (lane 2) heading North, she was in the center heading south and turning East across traffic. A car had stopped in the Northbound lane 1 to allow her to cross. I didnt see her until she was in my lane.
The collision caused her car to rest facing North in the Northbound lane 1 with my car next to hers in lane 2.

Bumper damage, its tweaked up and it did bend back a bit but you almost cant tell.
IMG_1827.jpg

IMG_1828.jpg

IMG_1852.jpg
IMG_1827.jpg
IMG_1828.jpg
IMG_1852.jpg

This is where the bumper bent back and touched the body panels
IMG_1829.jpg

IMG_1830.jpg

IMG_1831.jpg
IMG_1829.jpg
IMG_1830.jpg
IMG_1831.jpg

Passenger Side Steer Stop, Driver Side steer Arm and DS tire showing paint on tire up to rim.
IMG_1848.jpg

IMG_1849.jpg

IMG_1851.jpg
IMG_1848.jpg
IMG_1849.jpg
IMG_1851.jpg

I was in the right lane (lane 2) heading North, she was in the center heading south and turning East across traffic. A car had stopped in the Northbound lane 1 to allow her to cross. I didnt see her until she was in my lane.
The collision caused her car to rest facing North in the Northbound lane 1 with my car next to hers in lane 2.

OK now I see the skid mark from her spining around. Did not notice that at first.

Insurance declares the Landcruiser is a TOTAL LOSS! ( I guess it has not yet become a classic )

Question, is a totaled title bad or hard to insure?

Last edited:
Not a big surprise. They'll probably say that the body panels got tweaked by the bumper and need to be fixed (big $$$), and of course all the steering parts aren't cheap.

Buy it back from them and take the money, use it to fix up the damage and fund your next mod.

IIRC you can upgrade the sector rod to the 100 version, which is beefier (it isn't super cheap, but good time to do it). I'd just bend the rods back in place and either sleeve them or weld on half tubing (or angle iron). Cheap fix and you'll be better protected for playing in the rocks (or your next head on collision :lol: ).

don't forget to paint a little Chysler emblem on your front fender to show your kill, like the fighter planes do...

don't forget to paint a little Chysler emblem on your front fender to show your kill, like the fighter planes do...

:D Glad to hear everyone is ok. This is the main reason I bought ARB bumpers for all my Yota's, to minimize damage in accidents.

Ok, Just got off the phone with the insurance company. They are giving me the cruiser plus 7k cash for the damage. Bad part is the title will be salvaged :(. The main reason for this is the quote for a new steering box is $2800 for a new part. Total mechanical parts quote is $4975 and $2500 for new bumper and repairs to the fender. If repairs are 75% of the value they must salvage the title or total the car. Looks like this one goes straight to the crusher for a $250 used part ;) But hey its the American way!

Ok, Just got off the phone with the insurance company. They are giving me the cruiser plus 7k cash for the damage. Bad part is the title will be salvaged :(. The main reason for this is the quote for a new steering box is $2800 for a new part. Total mechanical parts quote is $4975 and $2500 for new bumper and repairs to the fender. If repairs are 75% of the value they must salvage the title or total the car. Looks like this one goes straight to the crusher for a $250 used part ;) But hey its the American way!

$7k is more than plenty, especially if you don't fix the body damage (as minor as it is I'd just leave it myself :meh: ).

Sounds like you got some cash for some upgrades. :hmm:

When I read the title of this thread I thought you were contemplating which vehicle to get, and ofcouse the choice is clear...
Looks like your cruiser took it like a champ, I assume you drove home after that wreck? That ARB bumper saved lots of potential body damage it looks like.

just reading the last post here, your not going to give up on your cruiser are you. I bet those car crushers have to work extra hard to crush an LC. 7K should get you some really nice parts, maby a used steering box from a fellow mudder?

Good luck with it!

Wow...one of "my people" that you nailed. If they were on road trip vacation and smushed the car, that would really be a crappy end, or beginning, or middle to the trip.

Sorry the truck got totaled but it looks like all's ending well. I'd be pretty happy with that outcome myself!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom