95 won't start/stuck in park (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am stumped. I have a 95 cruiser that I have not had very long. While driving in the mountains one day, the charging problem light came on. It drove fine home and I parked it in the driveway, shut it off and immediately tried to start it again, nothing.

It will crank but there is no spark at the plugs, and no check engine light when the key is turned to on, and it won't come out of park so I am unable to get it towed.

I have tested the alternator, battery, ignitor, distrubutor, replaced the efi relay, checked all the fuses.

Has anyone had anything similar happen? I am thinking it may have something to do with the park/neutral switch but at $250 don't really want to try it unless I am certain.

Thanks,
JT

Have you checked the fusible links by the battery pos cable? And for the towing, you should be able to remove the little cover in front of the shift knob and by using a small screwdiver, be able to shift out of park. Sorry I'm not more help.

towing?

And for the towing, you should be able to remove the little cover in front of the shift knob and by using a small screwdiver, be able to shift out of park. Sorry I'm not more help.[/QUOTE]

Can you explain what that means? why cant you just put the key in turn to on, and shift the lever w/o starting? :confused:

acolella said:
Can you explain what that means? why cant you just put the key in turn to on, and shift the lever w/o starting?

There is a mechanism that locks the shift lever under certain conditions like low brake fluid or a burned out tail light. The manual release is what he was describing.

It's in your OM.

-B-

...and with no battery power that switch does not know you have inserted your key into the ignition and turned it...

Sounds to me like you have a power problem. I would check fuses, and fusible links at the battery. (very cheap for the entire assembly).

Beowolf,
thank you for mentioning this.
I had no idea a burned out tail light could do that.

Since we are talking starting woes again i recall skyshark stating that he had fixed his starting problem with the replacement of the short harness behind ignition switch. I did a search and he stated total cost was $153.69. Was that for the part only or the install as well? Did he post a part # or better yet a part discription.

fzj80kidpen said:
Beowolf,

I was of the impression that it had to be a "Fuse" burned out (or removed) in this circuit.

Will just a tail light do it? I am certain I have asked this before, but I may have misread the reply.

As far as the "no towing", am I missing something here?

1) 91's, at least, have a shift lock override button on the tranny console. Press that with one hand while shifting with the other; no need for a key anywhere in sight.

or

2) TC in neutral should do it???

Curtis

fzj80kidpen said:
Beowolf,

I should be more specific. Actually, if the brake lamp fuse is burned out it will lock the shifter.

A single tail lamp will not lock the shifter.
A single brake lamp will not lock the shifter.

-B-

Ok, now I'm confusing myself. I can't even remember if an FJ80 T-case has neutral! Unlike my pickup, is it just 4hi and 4lo?

Oh well, I'll be sure to peek in it and check once I get home and grab a much needed beverage.

Curtis

Yes, there is a TC neutral.
-B-

After closer inspection, the problem turned out to be a severed wire leading to the main fusible link just off the battery positive terminal. Thank you all for the advice, saved me a lot of money. Good to know about the shift lock override too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom