Wanted 95 through 97 FJ80 (modified or unmolested is fine) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well – it came down to either an all-wheel drive Honda Element, or an FJ80, and the Land Cruiser just barely edged out the Element.

Just kidding.

Throwing my hat into the Want/Need group for a good quality 80. I’ve owned an ‘81 FJ40 29 years, and three years ago began outfitting it for Central and South America travel I am planning once the kids are out of college. It has been good fun (and expensive!) building the 40 up, but I realize a longer wheelbase platform is just more practical.

So here’s my criteria:
-- 1995 through 1997
-- Any color except black works, although I am not super excited about white, as my FJ40 is white, as are two of my other vehicles.
--Would prefer sub-200k mileage.
-- The rust issues of midwest and east coast trucks concerns me, but if no rust issues are present, and can be clearly demonstrated, then I am OK with trucks from that part of the world.
--Factory lockers are not important. If your truck has them, good. If your truck doesn’t them, fine.

My goal is to have an expedition-ready FJ80 that will carry me and my significant other pretty much anywhere we want to go, so I can start from a clean, no-stories base to build on my own, your partially modified truck, or a fully sorted and built-out expedition-style FJ80. My budget is up to $25k, but for the right truck I imagine I could be moved a bit north of that mark. And just to clarify, a few recent For Sale posts here have had sky high asking prices for what pretty much seem to be trucks with good maintenance histories and an off-road front bumper. I won’t be paying $25k for that kind of truck, but instead for a well sorted modified rig.

I am no hurry (but am ready to buy), so I am happy to begin conversations with anyone who may just be considering selling their rig, or who can refer me to the old lady across the street who just happens to have an Anniversary Edition with just 12K original miles tucked away in her garage who now wants to buy the new $88,000 Land Cruiser.

Cheers!

I have a 97 lax 450 with 171,00 locked that needs h/g. Never overheated just got warm and started mis firing on long trip. Front axel rebuilt, tough dog 3", new bfg , aftermarket stereo and speakers. Never off roadbed rust free ca rig. Just no time to repair as I have a 40 and starting a house. Could be a deal for someone with time. I would think this a 12-15$ truck if it had the h/g done! May be way off?

I have a 97 lax 450 with 171,00 locked that needs h/g. Never overheated just got warm and started mis firing on long trip. Front axel rebuilt, tough dog 3", new bfg , aftermarket stereo and speakers. Never off roadbed rust free ca rig. Just no time to repair as I have a 40 and starting a house. Could be a deal for someone with time. I would think this a 12-15$ truck if it had the h/g done! May be way off?

The head gasket attention seems to be basic requirement. Send along some photos when you get the chance. Thanks

zpilot, thanks for sending the link. Yeah - I saw this one a few days ago. Looks like a nice truck that is way overpriced, IMO. Seems like the FJ80/FZJ80 world has a fair amount of folks who buy good condition vehicles, hang some off-roading gear on them, and then hike the price substantially.

Agreed there isn’t enough info in the add to substantiate the asking price, but in my opinion it’s worth asking some questions and seeing what all has been done. If all the PM and normal maintenance has been done, then the price is fair. I’m just tired of everyone complaining about $25K trucks and then turning around and spending $15K on a $10K truck and acting like they got a killer deal.

For reference, I’m currently building an “expedition ready” rig and between the cost of bolt-on equipment plus the cost of getting a 20+ year old vehicle expedition-ready, it’s added up to way more than that.

Here is what I ran into on my “well-maintained” 97 which is probably somewhat par for the course:

Headgasket PM
Brakes (needed new calipers on front)
Birf rebuild + front wheel bearings
Full Exhaust system
Cooling system replace much of it
AC system rework
PHH + heater valve
Rear main seal

So that plus “while I’m in there” stuff easily adds to $10K
Now start adding on the cost of cosemetic upgrades/fixes, electronics/lights, bumpers, suspension, wheels, tires, armour etc. and you’ll find that a well-built $25K truck is a deal. I sure wish I could have built mine for only $25K!

Agreed there isn’t enough info in the add to substantiate the asking price, but in my opinion it’s worth asking some questions and seeing what all has been done. If all the PM and normal maintenance has been done, then the price is fair. I’m just tired of everyone complaining about $25K trucks and then turning around and spending $15K on a $10K truck and acting like they got a killer deal.

For reference, I’m currently building an “expedition ready” rig and between the cost of bolt-on equipment plus the cost of getting a 20+ year old vehicle expedition-ready, it’s added up to way more than that.

Here is what I ran into on my “well-maintained” 97 which is probably somewhat par for the course:

Headgasket PM
Brakes (needed new calipers on front)
Birf rebuild + front wheel bearings
Full Exhaust system
Cooling system replace much of it
AC system rework
PHH + heater valve
Rear main seal

So that plus “while I’m in there” stuff easily adds to $10K
Now start adding on the cost of cosemetic upgrades/fixes, electronics/lights, bumpers, suspension, wheels, tires, armour etc. and you’ll find that a well-built $25K truck is a deal. I sure wish I could have built mine for only $25K!

Climr, thanks so much for you insights.

If you are open to it I would like to talk you in more detail sometime precisely about 80 expedition builds and the PM side of things. My FJ40 build out over the past three + years has run well over $32K with lots of "while-I'm-in-there-might-as-well....." I feel very good about the roadworthiness of my truck, and have had a damn fine time creating a unique vision of an FJ40 (went way over the top on lighting - Ha!). For my next build I want to make sure the basics of the vehicle are well sussed out, no matter what level of build I am buying. And this is precisely why my preference is to purchase from a MUD owner. I trust this community, and in just one day have already had contact with owners of trucks I would deem "solid" and the owners good people.

IMG_0561.JPG
IMG_0562.JPG
IMG_0563.JPG
IMG_0564.JPG
IMG_0564.JPG
Sorry for crappy iPhone. Hood is plastidiped middle.

I have a 1996 Lexus LX450 for sale. Last post was about a month ago under the heading 1996 LX450 Boise, Idaho. Might fall in to your good maintenance, off-road bumper category but it might be worth taking a look. I have seen few cleaner or better maintained, great start for a build.

@Jason Trainor I tried to PM you but your inbox was full. PM me with your email address and I'll send you some pics of the two 80s that I have available. I'm about a 3.5 hour drive from you in Durango and have a built 97 that I'm getting ready to sell and a stock 95 that I'll be selling soon after the 97.

I' have 97 lx450 with 144,000 miles. Vehicle spent 10 years in Arizona and 10 years in Utah and I have it shipped directly to sleep for inspection, repair, and maintenance. Fully repaired and maintained at slee off-road. The engine is super strong and every single thing on the truck works great. 4 inch lift installed. Slee short bus front bumper installed. Warn 8000 winch with steel cable. Front and rear OEM lockers. 7 pin mod along with Center differential switch install. Both front seats leather replaced with Heaven leather upholstery. Everything on the truck works exactly as intended. Class 3 2 inch lift installed. I currently have a hitch mounted spare tire carrier. Can be included or I'll use it on one of my other 80 series

Hello All,

Thanks to those of you who reached out to me with your vehicle possibilities. I have found a vehicle. Locating one happened much more quickly than I anticipated (I spent two years looking for my '81 FJ40, and that was in 1989!), but I'm OK with that. I will be a boring member, as I suspect it will be years before the build-out starts, but I'll try to participate where I can.

And thank you to the MUD community overall. Good natured, BEYOND well informed and experienced, and willing to share and help others; pretty much the blue print for fellowship.

I will post a few photos of the rig once it arrives and I figure out how to park it in my bedroom. EXCITED! Hell - I just spent two hours looking over aftermarket wheels for 80s, even though I plan on keeping the stock wheels on it, and already know that if I do put different wheels on it they will be simple steelies.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom