'95 Manual Cloth Seat - Excessive Recline (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just purchased my second 80, a white '95 with cloth seats. The driver's seat is not comfortable for me. I like to sit relatively upright, yet the most upright position leaves me leaning too far back. It might just be my wacky back, but the back also seems to be twisted ever so slightly towards the passenger side.

Is this normal? Am I crazy? My previous truck had the power leather seats and I don't have much time behind the wheel of trucks with the manual seats.

The passenger's seat seems to be more upright.

I pulled the drivers seat for a quick inspection and could find nothing obviously wrong with the hinges.

Perhaps it is the seat foam?

I'll come up with a way to measure the angle tomorrow to verify there actually is a difference between the two seats.
Thanks!

95 is a weird year. My 95 has manual leather seats. I am also looking for sale replacements.

I found that the manual cloth seats in a 1996 don't incline as far as the power leather seats in a 1997. The cloth seats in a 1992 do seem to incline as far upright as the leather 95-97 seats. I've never driven a 93-94, so no idea if those are different.

I test drove another '95 with cloth and didn't notice anything, but that is hardly scientific. I'll pull the seats apart and see if I can find a difference between driver's and passenger's.

Thanks

warpdriv said:
95 is a weird year. My 95 has manual leather seats. I am also looking for sale replacements.

Jeff,
Maybe we can trade front seats. I have electric but prefer manual.

Hijack over.
Ed

AustinCruiser said:
Jeff,
Maybe we can trade front seats. I have electric but prefer manual.

Hijack over.
Ed

Sorry Ed. I like my manual seats. When I find replacements I'll contact you.

I had a major problem with my foam falling apart. Each time I was finished driving it I had to clean the foam off the carpet. Never really bothered me because it is not my DD, just the weekend get away until I drove to MOAB and off roaded for 9 days straight. MY back was hurting from sitting at an angle. I replaced the foam and problem solved.

I have heard some build their own foam using the old seat as a guide and it has worked for them. My time is at a premium so I bought the foam from Toyota. The seat foam is available but the seat back foam is no longer available. Go figure that one :meh:

Is it possible to swap the seat backs driver's side to passenger's side? I can't come up with any reason why it wouldn't work. The seat backs should be symetrical.

I guess i'll give it a whirl tomorrow afternoon.

So I swapped the seat backs today. The bolstering is much improved, and I don't feel twisted in the seat any longer. However it did not do much to improve the reclined feeling.

The swap was pretty easy, and is a super cheap way to buy some more time from the 16 year old seat foam.

I may swap the seat bottoms next.

Mine's cloth too, and the drivers seat bottom cushion is getting bad. Is yours a corduroy type cloth or something else? Mine is a funny crazed looking brown type. I wonder if new covers are still available from Toyota as mine is getting worn kind of thin too.

I've considered locating a manual drivers seat and having it covered in something close to whats in my LX. From what I understand the manual provides a bit more leg room and sits a little lower. I had a '91 way back when but can't remember. Any input on this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom