‘95 LC value HG (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone. I’m new here, though I’ve been lurking for a few months. I’m in the market do an 80 series LC because I just love the way they look. And their reputation.
I have found one that I’m getting ready to purchase and just wanted a few opinions on what it’s worth in today’s market.
It’s a ‘95, with 245k, 3x locked with a badly blown gasket. No rust but it looks to have been a bit neglected. Straight body. Thoughts? Thank you.
A2720413-33A7-4D25-B772-56DED115B7EC.jpeg

0163B0DE-B851-4F67-998F-5F2EC93C72FD.jpeg

1E93FB4B-48A2-463D-90DA-5126ACF982BA.jpeg

164A2091-DDAF-4B2E-98B4-73E61B65CBA8.jpeg

4336EA7D-9797-4EED-A7E4-1C32BD1A9FA6.jpeg

To have a good place do it properly. Machining, injector cleaning, new hoses, new radiator, shroud, new water pump, new plugs, several flushes, the whole 9 will cost you around $5k. You can get away with it for much less if you do it yourself, or take short cuts.

Provided everything else looks great. I mean GREAT. $5k is my max knowing it has major maintenance required. I’d offer $3k and go from there.

I'd say closer to $3000.00

If it's not in the middle of nowhere take it to a shop, or a Toyota dealer and get an estimate. You should pay for the inspection.

With a bad engine you should offer scrap value. My personal feeling is you should never buy a project car unless it is an amazing deal. It will always cost you more than you thought. Also, unless you have mechanical skills, don't buy a project car. That said I like projects, and I have pretty good mechanical skills. Still , most of the time I would have been better off not buying a project.

Before you even start, price a rebuilt engine. That engine probably needs a complete rebuild. Then new tires, suspension. Paint if you want nice new paint is $10,000.

Before I go to buy a project I price the parts to bring it up to where I want it.

They clearly left the coolant in the crankcase, so unless it only happened days ago, that engine is trashed with rust. I would only consider it if I had a good replacement on hand or wanted to do an LS swap.

Regular pricing $3,000 solely due to the lockers ($900 without). Pandemic pricing $5,000 - $10,000. Facebook group pricing $15,000 because "muh triple locked".

I just bought a '97 and I'm already feeling overwhelmed by all the deferred maintenance to catch up on. I may end up having to cut my losses with it before I can even take it on any trails, and that's in a rig without a blown head-gasket and in more or less daily-drivable condition.

I would pass on it unless you have deep pockets and/or very good mechanical chops, unless you can get it for well under 5k.

Also if they drove it much in that condition it might end up needing a rebuild or replacement engine. At the very least the head will have to be machined as was already mentioned.

81c0d2b8bdacdea3b0d0667b3e599710.png

Considering it is probably in an undriveable condition.. no telling what else is in need of major work. Transmission.. differentials.. electrics.. etc.. etc. My opinion walk AWAY! Or a maximum of $1500 and that is if you can do all your own work from top to bottom. Otherwise it will be more of a money pit paying someone else to getting it back to reasonable running condition.

$500

Don’t take this the wrong way, but if your not going to do the work/not capable or don’t want to learn to do it then you need deep pockets with little worry about spending money, if not then buying a cruiser is not for you.

Most folks here do their own work or have cash to spare/don’t worry about spending.

Now if your interested in learning how to fix then throw a few thousand and buy it and learn.

You can find answers to whatever you encounter by searching and if not just ask! People here will help, it’s one of the best forums on the internet.

Once you get it straightened out the smiles per mile is most rewarding.

Best of luck🍻

It's hard to say just looking at the bottom side. More pictures of the out side would help.
it most likely need a full base line = $
If the body is clean then 3 to 5 k
I did the head gasket on mine at 270k and the rest of the motor was fine and still running strong 5 years later.
The prices of these Reg just keeps going up, if it's clean then IMHO it worth fixing up and dumping the money into it, On the plus side when your done you know what you have.
If you are shopping 80 you know the prices are crazy stupid now for any 80 that could blow the head gasket at any time.
Again IMHO in this market any thing under 3k is a steel ;)
6 years ago I payed $2500 for this 3xlocked 94 with a blow HG water had not gotten in the motor but it needed a full base line, and like most cruisers the seats were trash. I felt like I got a good deal and after fixing every thing I know the reg inside and out :p
YsyRdBMmqT1zTnszxblqYLbGsRO1WCNrFKpv6NVM7OknSnX251jqKbRldet4Ifz4t94QAt2owZF_1eP7ugrXQJsgrGcA_cbSZH8PsJczvNnNXopD5lsPuUdAGkM1R9ev8nM1Ash-YSZ_jyok4RRm58rcu8hLNJoqnxksiwwW0ZdroF-r_XRmGhM92jFBNgt17tJITyu8I_D9ts5LQyeEMsDkUlWRqFdKxDI9aXIxUwN5NiH_RlSYhgY86Whd0MV3e6z-__lYP3AZCBceL5SqsHoAktA6NybXMOnm-Hbja_G0j5CXQn2S5oTby9fF64DI7HgEwSG6lqU-lUBuc8817Brl8dleyc9ZRKBjKkgMAw_o-yRZ5UkEk7AZcmR-DzfNWXKx4PAM6ND5l-5Zc_H8K-IS9by19Hkwevb5IkTovAiA2VtCe5BJ_X6FMmaXbQNesmqssDnOBdOYpMoIfcjIE7qSQeUbSZkfz0zNwxe77whkBLPgec5e0k-gGXseJZl6dhwcHLmXzvcMELvbJ8JC59Umd6sSusC4HuCHtpzfQk3RwiIMXzfajmqw9jVA0qHQBP9b2OHfNx_ofn1ITedNYh-bInnVccdstOjB2aIW68AYLew0j-avE-UX2Qk2xPN8qJ9kZ0ssi2m1ONHrkXJrZz6A5SSnsuVZe4shZ496fgc37Rc2Bz4jQafWQ-VDR6U2uULc1wXVNSPg3w-BKF3qONCL=w1252-h940-no

It's hard to say just looking at the bottom side. More pictures of the out side would help.
it most likely need a full base line = $
If the body is clean then 3 to 5 k
I did the head gasket on mine at 270k and the rest of the motor was fine and still running strong 5 years later.
The prices of these Reg just keeps going up, if it's clean then IMHO it worth fixing up and dumping the money into it, On the plus side when your done you know what you have.
If you are shopping 80 you know the prices are crazy stupid now for any 80 that could blow the head gasket at any time.
Again IMHO in this market any thing under 3k is a steel ;)
6 years ago I payed $2500 for this 3xlocked 94 with a blow HG water had not gotten in the motor but it needed a full base line, and like most cruisers the seats were trash. I felt like I got a good deal and after fixing every thing I know the reg inside and out :p
YsyRdBMmqT1zTnszxblqYLbGsRO1WCNrFKpv6NVM7OknSnX251jqKbRldet4Ifz4t94QAt2owZF_1eP7ugrXQJsgrGcA_cbSZH8PsJczvNnNXopD5lsPuUdAGkM1R9ev8nM1Ash-YSZ_jyok4RRm58rcu8hLNJoqnxksiwwW0ZdroF-r_XRmGhM92jFBNgt17tJITyu8I_D9ts5LQyeEMsDkUlWRqFdKxDI9aXIxUwN5NiH_RlSYhgY86Whd0MV3e6z-__lYP3AZCBceL5SqsHoAktA6NybXMOnm-Hbja_G0j5CXQn2S5oTby9fF64DI7HgEwSG6lqU-lUBuc8817Brl8dleyc9ZRKBjKkgMAw_o-yRZ5UkEk7AZcmR-DzfNWXKx4PAM6ND5l-5Zc_H8K-IS9by19Hkwevb5IkTovAiA2VtCe5BJ_X6FMmaXbQNesmqssDnOBdOYpMoIfcjIE7qSQeUbSZkfz0zNwxe77whkBLPgec5e0k-gGXseJZl6dhwcHLmXzvcMELvbJ8JC59Umd6sSusC4HuCHtpzfQk3RwiIMXzfajmqw9jVA0qHQBP9b2OHfNx_ofn1ITedNYh-bInnVccdstOjB2aIW68AYLew0j-avE-UX2Qk2xPN8qJ9kZ0ssi2m1ONHrkXJrZz6A5SSnsuVZe4shZ496fgc37Rc2Bz4jQafWQ-VDR6U2uULc1wXVNSPg3w-BKF3qONCL=w1252-h940-no
Holy cow! That's what your truck used to look like?

Hello everyone. I’m new here, though I’ve been lurking for a few months. I’m in the market do an 80 series LC because I just love the way they look. And their reputation.
I have found one that I’m getting ready to purchase and just wanted a few opinions on what it’s worth in today’s market.
It’s a ‘95, with 245k, 3x locked with a badly blown gasket. No rust but it looks to have been a bit neglected. Straight body. Thoughts? Thank you.
Well, there's nothing about your situation that is bad except maybe that you're looking at one of the 2 or 3 most expensive fixes on an 80 from the start.
I was sort of there...had to rebuild the tranny after purchasing my running and driving K294 ~$4500 2017 dollars.
But here's the deal really...especially if you are committed to long-term ownership...the engine is a looming expense for everyone who hasn't already chewed the $10k+ to refresh it. Only those with the skillz, tools, room, and time to do much of it themselves can escape that number and come in at somewhat less cost.

Being a K294 LC, it may not feel worth it in the beginning, but if you can snag it for $2k or less by telling the seller you're looking at $10k off the trot for engine rebuild/replacement...imo - and the crick don't rise - it is a solid choice of the specimen.

Well, there's nothing about your situation that is bad except maybe that you're looking at one of the 2 or 3 most expensive fixes on an 80 from the start.
I was sort of there...had to rebuild the tranny after purchasing my running and driving K294 ~$4500 2017 dollars.
But here's the deal really...especially if you are committed to long-term ownership...the engine is a looming expense for everyone who hasn't already chewed the $10k+ to refresh it. Only those with the skillz, tools, room, and time to do much of it themselves can escape that number and come in at somewhat less cost.

Being a K294 LC, it may not feel worth it in the beginning, but if you can snag it for $2k or less by telling the seller you're looking at $10k off the trot for engine rebuild/replacement...imo - and the crick don't rise - it is a solid choice of the specimen.
I'm curious why it'd cost 10k to refresh it? I read somewhere that the bottom end was good for 500,000+ miles if you kept oil and coolant in it; that could be wrong though. I also read the 1fz was designed for 3 rebuilds, but who would spend 30k keeping it on the road? Might as well just buy a new truck at that point.

I'm not trying to question your expertise; I just feel like most people would just junk it if they got quoted 10k, or swap in a diesel/refurbished motor if they had plenty of money.

Holy cow! That's what your truck used to look like?
Yep, I love my reg but some times I feel bad about make it a rock crawler ;)
Ra6kIdmjyH2ahuu0-yJxrDtO50uvivqst_6PiyOvNwZiyNvle2hHmKKuJ8QDl_NTOBscxMu3t-AmCpI9An882o84om72CSC1pac2XreZ4QiP7Uh1IJbYCRTqFYR3B9gHfwRdE7z0IcThBL1KQ_5_0uVBHktubpHwpOgjsi8TS8u0sRlVekS75tOCWSvlOiJ57KEJ5VhoGkaXj99PxP4nVV5v4mcs7g3KrGOvbxGH5xaHuWdKoqLGMMjFm2v-7ieX63W9wZvb5gOnBAFgwC4ISvUl6ZGWoR-57tihZb7FWXQyJFu9sl1Ocnj5E5bAqGKv8A5p1rR7DRalzN7pM78M7ITVecqD4TkyHskLePXfiS4K8XDYQ-bAZcF1l9O-6hyGQMBsNA5BWvdaQP_f0KbXFogXCDq3OKGkAkBQE4QDTjiCluGVfnNyys2GQzCl4bQDfcHGay-rvWa8Tox7GVXSla6PrUGEEXgJJrjZipvtsQ5JOI4iXsnTMrFWSwK-kZskzRGMtC8fEmswhZSmc4xKOqDtA3Foidd-oADOhxcjdFgcExHIujquyICxGK5gNTfv2qQWsUvGrEI2grQgQVcHFZb1ZvnhAd51ub7LR8QTUgqXBPUp95nqC-jK02p3f51AlS0t5Ybugxg2uf_y-iCj3cHzMEUsZo74hed0NI4fIgKQLkTUrX9o73horAp5r3QObnKjEjcGakvVOobnw_4fyzj5=w1252-h939-no

At the time I new I want to make a trail Reg and I passed on a 97 moonglow 3xlocked Reg with only 100K miles on it for 10K that was a pristine example because I new I was going to cut it up.
I sure wish I would have got both of them :bang:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom