95 FZJ80 Front diff/axle noises (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently inherited my wife's 1995 FZJ80 after she went to a newer Sequoia and during a general fluid level check found the front diff very low on fluid (looks like the pinion seal had been slightly leaking). I topped it off, but noises started shortly thereafter so I think the damage is done.

The noises are:
-A whining noise that varies with wheel speed and is more prevalent with a slight bit of throttle.
-A clunk when starting from a stop (there was always a slight clunk when shifting from Rev to D or vice-versa, but this is different)
-Occasionally at low parking lot speeds when turning I get a clunk, but it's not easily repeatable.

I had it at my trusted LC mechanic (who is a little high on prices but generally pretty good) for a rear main seal replacement and he quoted $1500 to fix the front end, stating that the noises are a direct result of the low fluid.

From reading the forums, I gather that the noises are likely one or more of the following:
-Bad CV joint(s)
-Dry spindle bushing
-Drive flange(s)

Any suggestions on how to proceed with the repair to minimize downtime (it's my daily driver since my FJ60 has a yet-to-be-sorted-out issue when warm with the Weber carb)? Also, any feedback on my diagnosis? And, are the CV joints lubricated with the gear oil in the diff?

Thanks for any help/advice you can offer before I get started,
recneps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom