95 fjz80 brake soft pedal problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hward1

87 fj60 / 95 fjz80
Threads
1995 - fjz80

new oem master and oem brake booster / abs delete

just replaced so I thought would solve a soft pedal feel -- bleeding brakes the pedal is hard as a rock -- when the trucks engine is on the pedal is or feels to soft -- when the truck was newer it felt hard and as time went on the pedal got softer and softer -- 40,000 miles ago all new oem pads and rotors replaced and the brakes felt hard so now Im just not sure front pads are great rear have started to scar the rear rotors up some it looks like but have pad left -- ill take pics today - not sure what to do next if anything

How do your soft lines look that hook up your calipers to the hard lines?

FWIW...and not saying it should be that way, but...
...my '93 FZJ has had a super light/soft brake pedal since I bought it ~3yrs ago.
Not that I had any issues, but basic baselining has replaced the lines with stainless, pads are newish (<4kmi), rotors look vintage (prob not but idk) but they aren't warped, scarred, or otherwise and measure within spec. Calipers remain in good working order and are untouched. I did replace that booster hose that connects to the intake manifold, and just had a bleed/flush job done.
There is no indication anything is wrong, per my own limited knowledge and the shop that did the bleed/flush.

And in all that, the soft/light feel remains. No issues stopping. It just is what it is. In fact I'd hate to see what would happen to all that stuff on the overhead shelf in the back were I to stomp on them once. There is no hesitation to arrest its motion. lol

Brake booster/check valve
Master is in good working order?
LSPV adjustment?

as of now rear brake pads need replacing going to measure brake booster pin, replace rear pads and rotors - rotors are at 18.5 mm and seemed warped - 40,000 miles ago replaced with all new oem on the front and rear -- pad, rotors, calipers -- ? could both rear brakes drag and not the fronts or would there just be one side that drags if its a caliper sticking -- also note after all was replaced 40,000 miles ago all was tight normal braking pedal everything -- it does have 35 tires with a lift not sure if that would cause the rear to wear faster and possibly warp the rotors from heat -

Are you just judging hardness of pedal while static and parked in the shop? This is a common thing Ive found after bleeding brakes sometimes. After a few hundred jobs you learn to start the truck and get it rolling, more often than not you realize how quick into that "soft pedal" that the brakes are actually starting to grab.

had rotors turned today says the inside was worn more -- the drivers side rear pads were worn morn then the passenger rear

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom