'95 Driver side door key will not unlock all doors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gray Rider

SILVER Star
Threads
Sorry, but if this is available elsewhere on threads (I searched) then please advise.
Problem: When the key is inserted in 95 LC in driver's door and turned once to the right, then the driver door unlocks. When turned to the right twice, the other doors don't unlock. However, when key is inserted in passenger side door, and turned twice, all door locks unlock. Any suggestions, guys & gals? Thanks!!

Hey Snake
Well on the '98 you may have keyless access. (remote).
But on the 96 with no remote the key (as I understand it) is supposed to unlock all doors when turned twice ( and mine does on the passenger door but not on driver door). I must have loose connection on driver door??
Help, lol....

Mine (95) unlocks only drivers door with 1 turn and all doors with 2 turns to the right, on the drivers side. Passenger side all doors 1 turn. Hope this helps..
Anton

Hey Snake
Well on the '98 you may have keyless access. (remote).
But on the 96 with no remote the key (as I understand it) is supposed to unlock all doors when turned twice ( and mine does on the passenger door but not on driver door). I must have loose connection on driver door??
Help, lol....

I have a 97 (I know the name confuses), but I thought the 96's also came with keyless entry :confused:

Mine (95) unlocks only drivers door with 1 turn and all doors with 2 turns to the right, on the drivers side. Passenger side all doors 1 turn. Hope this helps..
Anton

This is normal operation for the 3 80s that I've owned...one was a 94 and the other 2 are 97s.

There is a little switch that clips onto the backside of the lock cylinder. I've seen this switch come loose, then it will no longer turn when the key is turned. It's possible that it just came unclipped, but the tabs may have broken when the plastic housing became brittle, so it might need to be replaced.

The best thing to do is get the door panel off and take a look in there. If you see a little whitish-yellow round piece hanging from some wire, that's it.

HTH

You guys are good. Will look into that. Thanks!

I researched this more and need to make a correction. Some models have the switch on the lock cylinder, but it looks like the 80-series has it built into the door latch. You would need to find the wires that go to this portion of the latch, and check the signal there.

A Factory Service Manual (FSM) and an Electrical Wiring Diagram (EWD) are essential purchases for do-it-yourselfers. There are also online versions available.

I will throw my .02 in...

My '90 HDJ has a small green box (about 2" sqaure, 1" thick) inside the door that the central locking system runs through. I think it is called the lock control module.

If the connection is loose, you will not get central locking from that door. I had to replace the box. I got it from a US spec truck, so I am pretty sure you will have a similar setup.

Hope that helps

Same boat here, a 97 40th anniv. I dont have keyless so I have to use the key to lock/unlock. Truning the key once to the right in the DS door unlock that door, twice: nothing happens.

My PS door lock work properly, once, unlock that door, twice unlock all. well, almost... It used to be all but not the DS door.

Another issue I have encoutered thou.

The lock/unlock buttons on the DS and the PS door arms work, locking and unlocking the doors, except the DS door, it dose click and even sometimes seems as its trying to move (I mean the little rocker lock switch on the door opening handle) but it never actually engage. So I have to flip it manually to lock it prior to leaving the vehicle. Anyone else has a similar problem, perhaps solution?

:cheers:

Ok here is the latest in weird science:
My cruise control would not engage on a recent trip after having worked fine a day or so before. So I hit the horn and no horn sound, however, the door locks engage (or disengage depending on present setting) and the cruise works fine.....................??????????

Ok here is the latest in weird science:
My cruise control would not engage on a recent trip after having worked fine a day or so before. So I hit the horn and no horn sound, however, the door locks engage (or disengage depending on present setting) and the cruise works fine.....................??????????

did you, by chance, happen to go over/into a bump/pothole and/or make a sharp left/right turn when your door locks engaged/disengaged?

If so, it may have just been a coincidence that it happened when you hit the hornless horn.

my guess would be that you have a slightly loose left/right door striker...which is causing your door lock engage/disengage issue.

Thanks NorCal,
I need to pull the door panel and check it out.....

Thanks NorCal,
I need to pull the door panel and check it out.....

no need to pull the door panel to check the striker...

it's that "U" shaped thing on the "B" pillar that the door latches to.

depending on the model year, there are either 2 or 4 screws attaching it to the B pillar (assuming the front doors).

check each screw. if any of them are even slightly loose, it will cause the light-flashing/door light engaging/lock/unlocking to occur.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom