95-97 FZJ80 Horn Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been looking for a thread about this, but maybe I'm just blind. I wanted to know if anybody has replaced a FZJ80's horns to something a little tougher sounding? What kind did you use?

I use a pair of PIAA sports horns. Sound more like a train over the stock Tercel-sounding OEM ones. The price (roughly 50 bucks) is well worth it and they have saved my cruiser from some cell phone idiots "merging." Here's what they look like: http://www.autobarn.net/piaasportshorn.html

Search on FIAMM as there are several of us running their "Freeway Blaster" horns. You'll want both the high & the low. One of the recent ROTW's (Doug?) has pics of the FIAMM's mounted.
-B-

I've got the Fiamm Hi and Lo Tone Freeway Blasters. I like'm. Easy Install too. They do have a domestic sound to them though. Wife's says it sounds like I'm driving a Crown Vic. or some other large domestic sedan.

:beer:
Rookie2

Yep. Got the FIAMMs installed. Pics in ROTW. Easy install -- they provide instructions for 1 wire or 2 wire install -- use the 1 wire instructions. Pretty much plug-n-play.

Good, deep, low, loud.

:)

I picked up a pair of the FIAMM's at HF and was not impressed. Although they have a better tone compared to the stock "tercel" horn, they don't sound any louder. Could I have fouled up the install?

Grizzley, are the PIAA's significantly louder than stock? I'd like something loud, I don't really care how they sound, just that they are LOUD.

Jerry - see post #4...with link! :D I also got mine from Harbor Freight and really like the improved sound. I also think they are louder than the stock.

emr88 - make sure the terminals are clean and you have a good connection and a good ground (the bolt holding them on). If the areas are dirty clean them up and see if that helps. As for louder...I don't know what to tell you other than look at some air horns. :D

I just picked up some FIAMMs tonight at HF... will install tomorrow and tell you what I think!

emr88, the PIAA horns are significantly louder than stock. Safety was my biggest concern and I was not trying to find the coolest horn, but rather one with a strong tone that could be heard when needed. I was able to test a display at a local auto parts place and liked the quality and sound of the PIAA horns versus Hella, etc. Good luck.

JerryLX450 said:
NorCalDoug, Can you tell us where did you get yours FIAMMs? Website links maybe... ;) Thanks

As already stated -- Harbor Freight.
I got a high and a low.
This one

and this one

I had considered getting the good Hella horns (there are 2 Hellas to choose from -- one's louder than the other), but learned the sound of the Hellas are more Bimmer-euro-esque than Detroit-like. Not that there's anything wrong with a euro-horn...it's just not what I wanted.

Just a side note -- regarding horns. I like the sound of the Lexus RX 300. It has a good tone to it. Maybe a junker RX horn might be plug and play? Could work...

TX how did you mount yours?

Got any pics. I still havn't modded my :censor: horn but really need to, and since I don't have the room or energy for air horns for that price those might just have to do.

Why both the high and low, wouldn't the low by itself be adequate, or two lows if you want a "tougher" sound?

Installed the FIAMMs in about 25 minutes. No cutting, no splicing, just added the supplied ground wires and mounted to existing bracket and that was it... they sound great! Recommended! Especially for 9.98 each!

FIAMMS are great.

But when I put in the Stebel Nautilus, I had no plans of going back to my FIAMMS. hehehe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom