95-97 FZJ80 Horn Replacement

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by zmacman, Nov 2, 2005.

1. zmacman

zmacman

I've been looking for a thread about this, but maybe I'm just blind. I wanted to know if anybody has replaced a FZJ80's horns to something a little tougher sounding? What kind did you use?

2. Grizzley

Grizzley

I use a pair of PIAA sports horns. Sound more like a train over the stock Tercel-sounding OEM ones. The price (roughly 50 bucks) is well worth it and they have saved my cruiser from some cell phone idiots "merging." Here's what they look like: http://www.autobarn.net/piaasportshorn.html

3. Beowulf

Beowulf

Search on FIAMM as there are several of us running their "Freeway Blaster" horns. You'll want both the high & the low. One of the recent ROTW's (Doug?) has pics of the FIAMM's mounted.
    -B-

4. zmacman

zmacman

Last edited: Nov 2, 2005
  5. Rookie2

Rookie2

I've got the Fiamm Hi and Lo Tone Freeway Blasters. I like'm. Easy Install too. They do have a domestic sound to them though. Wife's says it sounds like I'm driving a Crown Vic. or some other large domestic sedan.

:beer:
    Rookie2

6. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

Yep. Got the FIAMMs installed. Pics in ROTW. Easy install -- they provide instructions for 1 wire or 2 wire install -- use the 1 wire instructions. Pretty much plug-n-play.

Good, deep, low, loud.

:)

7. emr88

emr88

I picked up a pair of the FIAMM's at HF and was not impressed. Although they have a better tone compared to the stock "tercel" horn, they don't sound any louder. Could I have fouled up the install?

Grizzley, are the PIAA's significantly louder than stock? I'd like something loud, I don't really care how they sound, just that they are LOUD.

8. JerryLX450

JerryLX450

NorCalDoug, Can you tell us where did you get yours FIAMMs? Website links maybe... ;) Thanks

9. TX_TLC

TX_TLC

Jerry - see post #4...with link! :D I also got mine from Harbor Freight and really like the improved sound. I also think they are louder than the stock.

emr88 - make sure the terminals are clean and you have a good connection and a good ground (the bolt holding them on). If the areas are dirty clean them up and see if that helps. As for louder...I don't know what to tell you other than look at some air horns. :D

10. zmacman

zmacman

I just picked up some FIAMMs tonight at HF... will install tomorrow and tell you what I think!

11. Grizzley

Grizzley

emr88, the PIAA horns are significantly louder than stock. Safety was my biggest concern and I was not trying to find the coolest horn, but rather one with a strong tone that could be heard when needed. I was able to test a display at a local auto parts place and liked the quality and sound of the PIAA horns versus Hella, etc. Good luck.

12. NorCalDoug

As already stated -- Harbor Freight.
    I got a high and a low.
    This one

and this one

I had considered getting the good Hella horns (there are 2 Hellas to choose from -- one's louder than the other), but learned the sound of the Hellas are more Bimmer-euro-esque than Detroit-like. Not that there's anything wrong with a euro-horn...it's just not what I wanted.

Just a side note -- regarding horns. I like the sound of the Lexus RX 300. It has a good tone to it. Maybe a junker RX horn might be plug and play? Could work...

13. reffug

reffug

TX how did you mount yours?

Got any pics. I still havn't modded my :censor: horn but really need to, and since I don't have the room or energy for air horns for that price those might just have to do.

14. TX_TLC

TX_TLC

15. DRTDuck

DRTDuck

Why both the high and low, wouldn't the low by itself be adequate, or two lows if you want a "tougher" sound?

16. NorCalDoug

Discussed
    in this thread

and this thread

:)

17. zmacman

zmacman

Installed the FIAMMs in about 25 minutes. No cutting, no splicing, just added the supplied ground wires and mounted to existing bracket and that was it... they sound great! Recommended! Especially for 9.98 each!

18. reffug

reffug

19. OTEP

OTEP

FIAMMS are great.

But when I put in the Stebel Nautilus, I had no plans of going back to my FIAMMS. hehehe.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.