95-97 1FZ into 1994 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yes,

I've talked to a few people now about this including CDan and Lance at ironpigoffroad. But i just wanted some more opinions to see how difficult this may be. I may have a shot at a low mileage 1997 motor and will have a hard time letting it pass so can i get any and all opinions on putting a 97 motor into a 94. Has anyone done it, should i stay away?
Thanks,
Brandon

What did Dan say?????????

He said Change the upper oil pan and put it in using the 94 electronics.

I would not think you would have to change the upper oil pan. Just leave the sensor in until it leaks and then make a block off plate to seal the hole. I can not think of any reason to switch the pans other wise. Most everything is the same but the distributor (I think different numbers). Most of the temp sensors are the same, injectors are the same, egr location is different, but may still work(may have to replace this with the 94 egr. Things I would do are put in a new rear crank seal, change the head gasket, reseal the pans, before I did put in the 95 engine. goo dluck with your search. later robbie

Robbie, and other

For what its worth,

the engine is from a 1997 and has an amazing 15,000 miles on it. Thats right. Because of this i dont think i will mess with the HG and other seals. I'm waiting to figure out how much it will take to get it from FL. to me and then total cost of swapping it in. Once i have those figured out i will decide if my bank account can swing it.

For what it is worth, I still would do the Head gasket out of the truck before it get put in the truck. Mostly it is the difference in the design of the headgasket. What is a simple 4-5 hr job turns into a 15 hr job in the truck. Anyhow 15k miles is real low. I would not bother with the sensor hooking up, maybe build a block off when it starts to weep. later robbie

How long has it been sitting? 15K in 8 years = alot of time just sitting....

I would replace it to be on the safe side. Just my $.02

The distributor is the same for 93-97.

I would replace the head gasket even if it had 15 miles on it. A helluva lot easier with the engine out of the frame. It WILL need one before the rest of the engine needs attention.

We'll see what happens. I can afford the engine and still interested but its the swap that might really kill it. The total cost in the end might send it over what i can afford. Plus, my high mileage engine is what keeping me from seriously considering a turbo. As long as i have 260k miles i dont think a turbo will be going in. I'll be sure to keep this updated though.

B

Last edited:
Just do it. I regret to this day when one Saturday I didn't drive a few hours for the Weber card conversion for a BMW. The carbs were shot, the car undrivable and I wasted $1000s at a shop that didn't fix the problem. I never drove the car again.

At least get the motor to where ever you are and deal with the installation later if necessary.

Just my thoughts on this kind of thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom