94' Stalling and cruising/driving issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2 main issues is occasionally it will stall out, ive had it stall cold and after its been running for a while. Also today driving at about 60mph 2200rpm, the rpms drop randomly to about 1900 rpm, press the gas a little more and it pops back up to 2k/2200, dont really know how to describe it other than it felt like it was pulling a trailer. Any ideas yall have, throw them my way. (I have a list of parts I have changed out/cleaned but the parts I will try to replace would be the Idle air control, fuel pump relay, air intake tube, and a few vacuum tubes/air tubes).

20200530_084821.jpg

I would put the air intake tube to the top of your list..

I would put the air intake tube to the top of your list..
The intake tube was a new one off a parts vehicle I visited. Looks to be about a year according to the guys paper work. I sanded the contacts down in the fuel pump relay due to heavy pitting, my idle air valve was malfunctioning so i bought a part off the donor vehicle as well which solved the surging idle then stall issue(the 2nd one could be about to crap out as well, just wanted a 2nd one to swap out to check overall functionality.) The tps is new, throttle cable is new. Without any adjustment made to the cable currently, my idle sits at about 900 to 1000rpm.

How old are your O2 sensors? Mine was doing the same thing and throwing a CEL, and new o2 sensors fixed the problem.

What is the "S" hose comming out of the air filter housing, attaches to the left of the engine? There is a crack in the end/engine side of it. Noticed that earlier

What is the "S" hose comming out of the air filter housing, attaches to the left of the engine? There is a crack in the end/engine side of it. Noticed that earlier
Part of the PAIR system, emissions related. Diverts air into exhaust under certain operating conditions. I pulled my original hose and matched it up with the choices at Autozone, relatively easy to find one. Toyota replacement is NLA.

Part of the PAIR system, emissions related. Diverts air into exhaust under certain operating conditions. I pulled my original hose and matched it up with the choices at Autozone, relatively easy to find one. Toyota replacement is NLA.
Is there a way to do away with that tube or delete it? Would there be any effects on the engine with that cracked hose? I already have the egr "redneck deleted", and havnt seen anything on deleting that portion of the emissions

Merry Christmas. A year of troubleshooting, just to make a full circle to get back to what I thought was the problem originally.

Is there a way to do away with that tube or delete it? Would there be any effects on the engine with that cracked hose? I already have the egr "redneck deleted", and havnt seen anything on deleting that portion of the emissions
Yes. Just need blank offs for the ports off the exhaust or relocate your O2s. Either way need 2 plates, a few vacuum caps and cap the nipple on the air cleaner. It frees up a lot of room, dont be like me and overthink it to death. Just pull it and cap it. Though I would ohm out your O2s, check for vac leaks and adjust your throttle cable for the 650 RPM. I haven't been able to solve the stumble on my '94... so good luck!

TPS adjusted correctly? Also check wiring to AFM.

Merry Christmas. A year of troubleshooting, just to make a full circle to get back to what I thought was the problem originally.

It could be that, I can take a closer look. Origionally when I came to a stop my idle would mess up like it was starving for fuel and found that a 93 toyota camry mass air meter fits and is a direct swap for the cruiser. I purchased a reman off rock auto, meter was exremely rich, pupped the top off and adjusted the spring for the correct fuel air mixture. The swap forum I was on also stressed to not touch, use solvents, or look sideways at the connectors or there would be issues. And I have made sure to not touch them. Were you able to see a crack in the solider or what moved/showed to give you that solution?

TPS adjusted correctly? Also check wiring to AFM.
How far back should I check the wiring? And I atrempted to look for the best positioning for the tps and i mainly saw recomendations for dead center both screws, and that was the way I installed the new one

Do you have the FSM?

There is a procedure for adjusting the TPS, it will have an effect on your idle if not adjusted properly.
As for the AFM, make sure connector is clean with no corrosion, smallest amount will have a bad effect. Check wiring back to where it enters the harness. Do not disassemble anything on the AFM.

Do you have the FSM?

There is a procedure for adjusting the TPS, it will have an effect on your idle if not adjusted properly.
As for the AFM, make sure connector is clean with no corrosion, smallest amount will have a bad effect. Check wiring back to where it enters the harness. Do not disassemble anything on the AFM.
I do not have the FSM, what type of cleaner would you suggest use on the connector? If I recall correctly there is some gunk on the metal connectors in the male plug. And like I said on the AFM, it was rich being programmed for a v6 camry, so I popped the cap off and adjusted the gear(it was so rich it would not start.

Electrical contact cleaner, isopropyl alcohol if you can’t get it.

Download the FSM, there is a link on this site if you search “fsm at a great price”

"

Convoy said:

Troubleshooting Stumbling / Hesitation issues
Hi all, I have seen a lot of posts regarding this issue and very few solutions, so here goes my story / fix on my 1993 LC... Note: This should apply to 1994 and earlier Toyota's with a VAF Meter (not a MAF Sensor). Short Story: Issue: Hesitation / Stumbling whenever (could be cold, hot, city...
forum.ih8mud.com
forum.ih8mud.com
It could be that, I can take a closer look. Origionally when I came to a stop my idle would mess up like it was starving for fuel and found that a 93 toyota camry mass air meter fits and is a direct swap for the cruiser. I purchased a reman off rock auto, meter was exremely rich, pupped the top off and adjusted the spring for the correct fuel air mixture. The swap forum I was on also stressed to not touch, use solvents, or look sideways at the connectors or there would be issues. And I have made sure to not touch them. Were you able to see a crack in the solider or what moved/showed to give you that solution? "

it's been awhile since I was in there. all I remember is cleaning the contacts with isopropyl alcohol and q-tips for a long time until they were clean, and ensuring the contacts were good where it slides. I'm feeling like there might have been some play in the connector as well. I may have tightened that up somehow. It's been a couple years, and no issues since.

That link to the downloadable FSM is no longer available.

Below are from the 94 FSM for adjustment of the TPS

1591068047539.png

1591068188225.png

1591068248944.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom