Land Rover 94 RRC Tick? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last month or so I decided to pick up a 94 RRC County LWB. I’ve always wanted one and I basically just bought without much thought.

So there is a tick. I’m not very mechanically inclined so forgive my words if they lack sense....

First thought was because it threw a lambda sensor code when idling in cold weather (it was cold as in snowing when I bought it), ok fine exhaust manifold tick. That was based on nothing but me having an 01 LX with a cracked manifold and similar tick.

Then I get to talking to a Land Rover guy and he says maybe headgasket . Or lifters, or this or that. He hasn’t seen the truck, i guess just basing on the various things happen to these things.

My question: to the layman, how to distinguish between say exhaust tick and headgasket sound? Does one occur under load only? Mine increases with revs and decreases when I let off the gas. Does that narrow anything one way or another?

It’s a nice looking truck but I’m not even sure I want to keep it as i would rather just spend the money on upgrades to my 99LC. Though it is growing on me. The styling is just something I always liked. I just have no business owning 2 100 series and a RRC.

Any ideas on how I narrow what the tick is?

AB57F30D-9E8F-4B2C-B816-D8CB86C79888.jpeg

2C2E0413-8671-4866-9A6A-55D1117A0A0C.jpeg

A269291F-62C5-4967-8ACB-E1B253E30B44.jpeg

7019BDF0-9E8E-4659-99C7-A697D5FDBC33.jpeg

03AE0456-21AC-471E-AE6E-B3BF8E32CC01.jpeg

Try getting under it while someone accelerates, if you hear it coming from the rear, it is likely exhaust. Trace the exhaust pipes up to the headers and look for holes and severe corrosion. If you rule-out exhaust leak, you can focus on the engine.

Lifter, head gasket you will probably hear it right at the engine. If not already a member try RangeRovers.net as well. You can also look for leaks around the engine with a mirror and flashlight.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom