'94 no start... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bah.... sealed my dizzy with RTV at least 7k miles ago and now a no start....

Smell of gas through the exhaust, no CEL but does light up with other lights when the ignition is on, EFI relay is good if it's mounted inside the underhood fuse box, and the EFI fuse is good... Pulled the dizzy cap to see the center coil button ground down and some major gooey corrosion on the internals due to moisture getting in?

Swapped to a known good cap and still no start... going to check O2 wires, fusible links, coil spark in the morning... Have not jumped the CEL pins but not sure I will get the proper code due to the engine not starting? Battery is fully juiced and has no problem turning the engine....positives are good, negative cables are good, battery clamps are good...

Did you seal up the 2 or 3 holes in the distributor too? I think if you do that, depending on your environment (humid, hot/cold), the internal parts may still get gooey. I think they need to be ventilated. Check the air gap of the distributor pickup - if any junk's gotten in there, it may cause no-start condition.

Other than that...?

02 wires are good, fusible links ohm out good... yanked a distributor out of a '95 and it fired right up! The gooey corrosion made the pickup coil housings into playdough, resembles black bugars with fiberous content, the plastic caps on top of the coils have popped off resembling the copper strands and more corrosion, in Military terms it is SEVERELY corroded! The metal brackets and screws have a layer of caked corrosion of some type of white scaly stuff instead of ferrous oxide brown stuff.

I am guessing that the internal sensors are not replaceable separately? A call to American Toyota will give me an answer shortly... In the mean time I am looking at $125 for a used component from cruiserparts and S&H delays.

Goes to show that you should NOT completely seal your distributor as moisture will still get in and ruin things... (On my previous V8 engines guess enough clearance was inside for the moisture to get out, not so with Toyota's.) Luckily this happened at home even though it gave me a hint of it 50 miles away earlier in the day because it took 3 cranks to fire up instead of one...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom