94 LC, right choice? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, new to forum and need some help...

I've always loved the 94-97 style lc's and am in a situation now where I need to find a auto for myself thats under $8k

What I'd be using it for mostly is to travel to and from work daily, the occassional family weekend camping trip, family bike/ski outings which would equal approx 300 miles a week.

Then this would probably end up being our vacation ride for the 1-2 beach trips a year, 1200 mile week outings.

I've found a few lc's in my area 94-97, 150-180k miles, $6-9k, one of most interest is a 94, with 150k miles for $6k.

While I know these are dependable machines, is this the right choice for what I need it for? I've read some sale listings talking about recent head work, etc but with 250k+ miles, what should I be on the lookout for and what should I be prepared to spend to keep one in top running condition, obvious concerns of mine would be motor, trans, diff's problems, I can live with minor elet/interior problems, what I don't want is something in need of constant repair, I can see keeping this for a long time as a snow/play auto after it's not being used daily.

I've read the info on steeloffroad which did answer some questions but am still looking for info from others who have been in the same situation, thanks.

x2 on '94 - 193K and rolling.

Daily driver will eat gas $$ but you probably know that! Price seems a little high, but it's good mileage for a '94. How good has the PM been? Head gasket replaced? Lockers, if you want them? Leather or cloth. Lot's of determining factors. Paint condition? Birf's redone yet?

of course 94
buck44 on mine and still going strong
just took her from sea level to 14,000 feet in less than 2 hrs.
no issues at all!

How big is your family?

I think I would look at getting something like a pickup or 4runner or even a 100 series LC. Sounds like it will meet your needs better.

Don't get me wrong, I have a 94, daily drive it and love it. But I also use it aggressively. If all you have planned is mild camping trips, it may not be worth getting a high mileage 80 series. Unless it has had all of the PMs done and is basically turnkey.

Just keep in mind where you are. Ask this question on another forum and you'll get different answers.

The head gasket on the 93-97 FZJ's would be the only thing that would deter me if I was you. If it blows, can you do the work? If not, stick with the 91-92. See my sig below, outside the '03, the FJ62 (270K) and one of the '91s (240K) are kings. The 94 (248K) and 95 (234k) are destined for the ranch at 300k, they won't be road worthy much longer, the 3fe's will.

You're looking at trucks that are going on 11-18 years in age, they will require maintenance. However, once baselined, and caught up on all PM ,the 80 series will run for a good long time.
I wouldn't get too hung up on what year to buy. Sounds like you already know what the major differences are. 91-92 have the 3FE engine, 93-97 have the 1FZFE engine.

I would look for a clean, well-maintained, meaning a large stack of records from previous owners, truck. No guarantee that nothing will ever break, but well maintained trucks will give you fewer "suprises"

Don't let the "headgasket issue" deter you from buying a clean 93-97. Yes, some have failed. Toyota now has an upgraded one.
Can't quote the failure rate but i'm sure it's under 10%. Reading this website all day gives you the impression that headgaskets are going left and right. Just remember, we tend to get everybody that has a headgasket failure post a thread. The thousands of people that have not had a failure never post.

Finally, these are expensive trucks to own. Quality parts "OEM" don't come cheap. If you can do your own work you can save a bundle. If you end up with a land cruiser your next purchase should be the factory service manual for your year of truck

Good luck

P

I have a 94; my first 80 . . .love it . . .I've had no 2nd thoughts or regrets of buying it (2 months ago)

Still have my 'machine' . . .86 (built Nov 85) FJ60 . . .love it too

I still have my '94 I bought five years ago. It's taken the family and me everywhere. Everything from epic vacation trips to weekend camping trips. It's also my daily driver. Key thing, is to buy a relatively mechanically clean vehicle to start with and be on top of everything. It'll take some patience to find the right 80, but it can be done.

Wow, thanks for all the info guys!

Got a family of 5 so it would be nice to have the 3rd row, wife has a Denalli now with the 6.0 so gas milage isn't far off, but she's trading that in on something smaller, sure there are more pratical suv's for me, but I've always wanted a LC and now is my chance. While I know some things to ask (all 5 I've called about the current owners know nothing about the head gasket being replaced or when anything has ever been done to any axle) I'm just making sure I understand what I'm getting into.

The plan is if/when I find my rig that it'll be my daily driver for 2 or so years then I can put it aside for just trail/play duty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom