Builds '94 KZJ78 Build... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I've had the cruiser for a few weeks now and I figured it's time to start throwing some pics up. Found this one up in mainland Japan and had it shipped down to me in Okinawa. It was bone stock but super clean. Only 93,000km, no rust aside from a bit on the front wiper arms and the rear bumper near the tow hook, and came with a full maintenance record. She's in great shape and someone took great care of her. Had the usual tune-up performed when it was getting it's inspection...fluids, filters, timing belt, lube, brakes, etc. Love this thing!

So far, here's what I've done to it:
- Tinted rear windows
- Painted front and rear bumper plastic to match body
- Replaced light housings (blinkers, corners, side markers, tail lights)
- Smoked the corner lights, blinkers, and side markers
- Painted chrome surround and grille satin black
- New tires, 32x11.50R15, Dunlop AT1s
- New head unit and speakers

Planned projects: Full 3" exhaust, paint sideview mirrors satin black, remove chrome on front and rear bumpers and power coat black, Line-X side steps and rear bumper step, Paint wheels satin black, oil catch can, full re-upholster for the interior (1990's cloth design isn't so hot anymore), and a 2" lift when I get it back to the states.

Here are the before pics:

View media item 67652View media item 67653
And the after pics:

View media item 67654View media item 67658View media item 67655View media item 67656View media item 67657
Night and day from when it first arrived here...anxious for the next project! Thanks to everyone for helping answer my questions here and there. It's been really helpful!

Last edited:
well, I was going to keep posting stuff in this thread but seeing that it has generated zero interest, I won't bother.

haha. thanks. I figured someone would have something to say about it, I was planning on a few projects this weekend but rain moved in and since I don't have a garage at the house...gonna have to put those projects on hold until clearer weather.

Question for the masses...anyone have an idea what my cruiser will be worth after I get it back to the states in a year? I figure it will have less than 120,000km on it by then and I would like to have an idea of its value so I can start planning insurance, etc. Thanks in advance!

Being they will just be coming into the states, that’s tough to say. I’d look at what they are selling for in Canada as a starting point. But in my opinion, I would look at the cost to replace it as you have modded it and get insurance to cover that. The market is too small to get a market value at this point.

Very clean truck; definitely keep the pictures and mods coming!

KZJ78's seems to really keep their value here in Canada. Much higher than LJ78's usually.

Jimmy and GTS, Thanks for the input. I assumed there wouldn't be much data as the 93's are just getting to the 25yr mark and the 94's like mine aren't in the states yet. Thanks for the kudos on the truck, it really is super clean and I am still amazed at the fact that I bought it only through pictures, so basically sight unseen, and that I got it for only 10.5k USD. Lucked out for sure.

I’m super interested in your build! Mine is also a 94 KZJ78W. Mine isn’t nearly as nice as yours though!

Mine has similar mileage, peeling clear coat, and some rust but it’s a cool rig! They are super popular here in Uganda and a ton less money than a HZJ76.

I’m having new suspension installed next weekend so I’ll post some pics when it’s finished. Thanks for the build thread!

Last edited:
Very clean truck; definitely keep the pictures and mods coming!

KZJ78's seems to really keep their value here in Canada. Much higher than LJ78's usually.

Great to hear, but what’s the difference? Sorry I’m new to the Land Cruiser world.

Great to hear, but what’s the difference? Sorry I’m new to the Land Cruiser world.

The 1KZTE engine (in KZJ78) is more powerful and generally better than the 2LTE engine (in LJ78).

I’m super interested in your build! Mine is also a 94 KZJ78W. Mine isn’t nearly as nice as yours though!

Mine has similar mileage, peeling clear coat, and some rust but it’s a cool rig! They are super popular here in Uganda and a ton less money than a HZJ76.

I’m having new suspension installed next weekend so I’ll post some pics when it’s finished. Thanks for the build thread!

Buckaroo, your cruiser looks like a blast! It's got to be nice to live somewhere you can use it like it was meant to be used!

Well, latest project completed. Had the wheels coated satin black and I painted the sideview mirrors to match the body, turned out pretty good! The wheels are coated with HALO, its a super-durable spray on vinyl. It'll last 2-3 years and I can remove it whenever I'd like. I wanted to prevent any further corrosion from the salt spray we get here on island and I like the option of removing the coating to return the wheels to stock...something you can't do with powder or paint. The product is really impressive, the guy who did the work has a Corvette Z06 coated in HALO, you can't even tell it's a coating...looks just like paint.

Next is painting the side steps and rear step black and having the chrome on the front and rear bumpers painted or powder coated black...anxious to get it done!!

I am also going to re-do the tint on the corner and blinker lenses and also adding a light coat to the tail lights. The corners and blinkers have a weird purplish hue to them...not sure why. I am going to have a HALO product applied to them to add the tint, should be a truer color.

View media item 68303
View media item 68305
View media item 68306
View media item 68304

Looks great so far! I spent 6 months in Oki back in 2001-2002. Good times, I loved the island so much I always said I wanted to come back as a civilian. I hope to return some day...get some good sushi and yakisoba!

I think Im going the same route as you with my wheels. I like this factory wheel, but Im thinking about a dark grey or gunmetal.
I have dreams of taking this thing on an African adventure, but mostly I just run errands and drive my family around. It is a good truck though, and now that its rainy season, Im glad I have four wheel drive.
Looking forward to more from your build!

3B2D2983-76F2-412A-A685-18B4B1392E06-22312-0000107F9CFF0BF8.jpeg

Curious if there are any updates to this build? Particularly if you went ahead with the side and rear step painting. I've been seeing a few fully blacked out designs that look good but curious how it worked in actuality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom