94 Headlight Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While driving last night my headlights just went out, neither the low nor high beam worked (also no high beam indicator on dash). Once I could limp it to a pull off, I checked some obvious things: bulbs, wiring at lights and fuses but found no issues.

I checked today after work and still cannot find the issue; I have a Chilton manual but it is worthless for this kind of thing. I gauge for power at the two fuses under hood but do not show power.

I am leaning toward the possibility the stalk on the column may have gone bad but wanted to ask here if anyone has experienced this and what people did to resolve OR if someone has knowledge of something like a fusible link that may be in line and went out.

Any help or direction would be appreciated.

There is a relay between those fuses and the AM2 fusible link connects directly to the battery (check the EWD available on this site). I’d check the fusible link first then the relay. That will help you narrow down the issue. If the fusible link has power, there is a splice point between the fuse box in the engine compartment that you can check. Need to remove the battery to find it, but that’s where I would check.

I have a Chilton manual but it is worthless for this kind of thing.
Throw that in the recycling bin.

Unsure if your model has the same setup as the HDJ 80 UK spec? There are two relays, one brown and one black sitting next to each other, they are both responsible for headlamp operation. As these vehicles age the wiring resistance increases putting extra load on the relays. If you are lucky then replacing the relays will sort the problem, if unlucky you will find the sockets where the relays plug into have melted, this is again related to the higher relay contacts getting hot.

As an aside, if you open up the relays you can run a small file between the contacts and then plug them back in and see if the lights work, if they do then take them out and fit new ones, the ones you have just 'repaired' will make great spares to throw in the box with the fuses.

You can actually make up a simple loom to fit between the relays and headlamps, you will never burn out another relay. Unless you do a lot of night driving it is not worth the work, but worth keeping in mind.

Regards

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom