94 FZJ80 deal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That looks like a good deal. Blue book prices it around 11 grand, private sale. I don't follow cruiser markets close, but I'd say its a deal if there aren't any big problems that you'd need to pay alot to fix.

-Matt

I'm a little jealous, got my 93 w/175k no lockers, excellent condition for $9500. It was an average to good price around here from my searching for a couple of months. I still am happy with the price and definitely think it was well worth it. Sounds like you could have a great deal on your hands if it is in good shape.

I bought my '94 (135K miles) in Jan for $9,000 here in Dallas. No lockers but in great shape. The local cruiser mechanic who looked at it for me said I was stealing it. Made me feel good at least!

They are all loaded but that's a good deal if it checks out and has no accidents, especially if it has lockers. Things to check on 80's with that mileage are head gasket issues (check for crusties around the head or white smoke), and whether the front axle seals have been replaced and bearings repacked (if not, they are due, trust me) . The head gasket issue stems partly from blockages in the radiator so have a look at that too. I would also check if the front floor pan carpets are damp. Many many people on this site have had problems with front sunroof drain leaking problems that result in wet carpets (and worse). Hard to fix and should be good for a discount if you can catch it. Good luck. Wish I had seen one at that price in the local paper.

Brian,

Define loaded.

If your heart is set on leather and it has cloth (ask Eric) then you'll spend another $1,000 for the upgrade.

If your heart is set on F&R lockers, and it doesn't have the option then you'll spend another $3,000 for ARBs or $4,000 for OEM.

If you are carrying around the scout troop and it doesn't have the 3rd seats....  and on, and on.

Make sure the one you buy has the options you want. Then try to get the one with the best documentation on the accident & maintenance history (or a clean bill of health from a trusted mechanic). Next would be one that is within your price range. Then go for lowest mileage. Then lowest price.

My 2c.
-B-

I just bought my '94 with 72K miles on it for $14K -- I knew the original owner and had all Toyota service records from birth --

-- I love this truck -- :D

eric

Bought my 94, 115K miles, with lockers and all the trimmings (plus OME 2.5" lift, though older) in January for $11,800. Thought that was a good deal at the time, though since have had to replace radiator and water pump, replace all disc brakes, rebuild front and rear axles (that's actually a 120K service), replace all fluids and belts (again, part of 120K mile service), replace pesky heater hose (preventative). I don't include the last three, because they would have to be done around 120K, anyway. The previous owner rebuilt the front axle himself, but many leaks later I had that redone.

I looked around for a while too and at least down here in Arizona didn't see anything close for under $13,500.

The biggest thing, however, was that I found out after purchasing it had been in an accident. I did multiple VIN searches before purchasing, but nothing showed up, and the previous owner says he didn't know (probably true, since he only had it 18 months, and his wife drove it). We couldn't really tell until installing the new ARB bullbar.

Them's the brakes---especially when buying a vehicle long-distance, which I did. She now drives great, and other than a bit of a lopsided bullbar (no doubt enhanced by my rock-eating trip to Sedona last weekend!), I can't otherwise tell it's been in an accident.

So like everyone else says, check her out carefully, but really does sound like a very good deal to me.

Tucson,

Had my belts replaced at 105K, and am aware of the birfield repacking recommended at 120K. What am I going to have to bend over for on that? Know it isn't going to be cheap.

Brent,
Most shops will charge around $1,200 for a full front axle service. It is a labor intensive job but not technically difficult. Jim posted an excellent write-up on the complete procedure with links to images. Parts should cost less than $300 and that's with new knuckle bearings.

If you have some mechanical knowledge and a decent set of metric hand tools (+ jack stands & torque wrench) then you can do the job yourself. If you have a friend with a Cruiser then they would be glad to provide guidance along with those of us on this list. There are a few tools you may not have but they should be available in your area (e.g. brass drift, hub socket, spring scale.)

Use the money you save toward that S/C or any one of the goodies on the Slee Offroad web site. Or buy your wife a new watch. :G

-B-

Hmmm, wife hates watches and all I'm good for is about 1 banana - that's an oil change and not much more. Wouldn't mind learning from someone firsthand (as opposed to trying to follow instructions) how to do my own brakes. God knows we all eat brakes for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snackes with our beasts. Golf game would suffer if I learned how to do too much Beo! &nbsp:Don't think this is one I'd tackle myself. By shop are you referring to an independent or a Yota dealer? Never could get that engine running in junior high school shop class either! Thanks for the info tho.

Brent,

Chicken............. ::)

Thou hast not lived until You've become one with the knuckles............. 8)

You rang! Give me wings and I shall fly! :ugh: Just never have had the monkey wrench in me

To add even more - there are not enough cuss words in the human language necessary for me to complete this type of task. :D :D :D

Brent,
Next time you're in the land of enchantment, swing by the house with a properly provisioned cooler and we'll take care of it togther. :banana: :banana:

Brent, I'd spend the dough. Call a shop that specializes in axle/alignment work and they will probably have a flat rate per side that may work to your favour. &nbsp:DYI, it's an 8 hour job assuming no hiccups and the parts will still run you $300. My life no longer has space in it for an 8+ hour mechanical job unless it can be done with one hand while wrangling a kid with the other.

I have not yet been to see the vehicle... still tossing it around. The tight trails I push the 4-Runner through would grind up the body on an 80.

As for loaded? That is what the ad says.... if the owner knows what he is talking about, it is locked and has leatha'. Lockers would definetly be a must. Leather wipes clean easy.... but I have a nice set of grey cloth Recaro seats that would be mighty nice in an 80 series.

The used car market had dropped a lot in the last year. I got the 94 fzj80 with all options 210k mi for $8900. It was a good price then but not now. I saw a newer Suburban on a lot for $4995.
kurt

Front rebuild was roughly $1,100 down here, at a more expensive shop but one with a great reputation. However, I'm doing a little business trading, so it's working out to be far less. By business trading, I mean: I'm not a mechanic, and won't pretend to be one (though will try things like adjusting the throttle cable, installing lights, etc.). I am however a Web designer, so will trade Web design/maintenance for Cruiser repairs/maintenance.

On the side note, I'd still consider a Cruiser loaded without lockers, but like you (and most of us) didn't want one without lockers. That will require a call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom