'94 FZJ80 Budget V8 Swap - SBC vs Vortec (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a feeling they are very much so related.
Maybe I'll just try to do an EGR blockoff / delete first and see how much better things get.
After that a leakdown test. It was pretty neglected in the form of oil seals so I know it could use a lot of help holding down drinks, haha.
I'd absolutely love to pull the motor and just clean it up top to bottom, but my apartment managers tend to frown on having rebuilds go on in your living room. though I have done it before...

The main culprits for leaks are:

Valve cover
Distributor seal
Oil Pump Cover Seal
Crankshaft seal (don't when doing Oil Pump Cover Seal

As was mentioned, valve stems could very well be leaking which is causing some of the use of oil. But you are probably leaking at all of the seals (or at least most of them).

The distributor seal take 15 minutes. The others take a few hours and are detailed out extensively here on Mud. There is a good video from TexasKnowHow on YouTube for the oil pump cover seal and crankshaft seal.

Shop around. I'm picking up a 1fzfe with tranny and t case for $500. Comes with some other goodies such as boxed ome springs, steering stab and drive shafts. It has 180k and I'll part out if I do t end up rebuilding it. I cant imagine integrating obd2 can be that difficult if you source same ecm. It's 3 or 4 wires for obd2, only 1 goes to ecm, others are power and ground and maybe one other thing.

My old 62 had a 5.7 TBI. That thing was a turd. Stock 1fz-fe is better in just about every way (except weight/packaging). Similar power/torque numbers, but the toyota motor and transmission combo just feels stronger.

Based on that experience, I wouldn't consider anything less than a vortec, and I would even go beyond that and say geniii vortec (4.8, 5.3, 6.0 or the like). The older SBC's have their place---and it's called the 1980's. Upgrading to anything less is a waste of time and money in my ever-humble opinion. :hillbilly:

Or just stick with a 1fz-fe. If it does the job good enough for your needs, it is the only motor that will just plunk in without a lot of extra work and "figuring out."

My old 62 had a 5.7 TBI. That thing was a turd. Stock 1fz-fe is better in just about every way (except weight/packaging). Similar power/torque numbers, but the toyota motor and transmission combo just feels stronger.

Based on that experience, I wouldn't consider anything less than a vortec, and I would even go beyond that and say geniii vortec (4.8, 5.3, 6.0 or the like). The older SBC's have their place---and it's called the 1980's. Upgrading to anything less is a waste of time and money in my ever-humble opinion. :hillbilly:

Or just stick with a 1fz-fe. If it does the job good enough for your needs, it is the only motor that will just plunk in without a lot of extra work and "figuring out."

That's a great perspective, thank you very much for your input. I think sticking with a 1fz is the way to go here.

If youre crafty you can probably garage rig a turbo setup (no tuning for low boost) for under 2k lol

I said I was gonna upload a video at one point, but never did.
Here it is, with the noise audible.
Thoughts?

The main culprits for leaks are:

Valve cover
Distributor seal
Oil Pump Cover Seal
Crankshaft seal (don't when doing Oil Pump Cover Seal

As was mentioned, valve stems could very well be leaking which is causing some of the use of oil. But you are probably leaking at all of the seals (or at least most of them).

The distributor seal take 15 minutes. The others take a few hours and are detailed out extensively here on Mud. There is a good video from TexasKnowHow on YouTube for the oil pump cover seal and crankshaft seal.

Sounds right, oil is in the right place for the distributor leak.
Though with the above posted video, I may need to do a little more extensive work.
engines got around 275k on it, so I might need to do a full rebuild here.

At this point, I am leaning far more to purchasing a used 1FZ-FE and rebuilding it on my stand, then swapping the new one in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom