94 FZJ80 6.2 conversion begins! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

co4x4

The 6.2 often gets a bad rap from people that:
a- think the engine is the gas converted to diesel 5.7
b- had one and pushed it past what it was meant to do
c- or read something on the web

Like every other engine on this planet, yes they have issues, but they've been around long enough the people have found fixes for eveything.

I've researched a lot over the last 5 years and I think they're good engines. As for WVO, I haven't done much research on this but take a look at the following two sites:
Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums - Duramax Diesel Discussion Forums
TheDieselPage.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

X2 on what kcustom said.

I personally have no experience or knowledge of WVO in the 6.2, but there are those who have done it. You can't use the newer 6.5 with the electronic IP as the optical sensor in it is not compatible with much of anything other than diesel.

Another forum to add to the list to check is: thetruckstop(dot)us

Don

I had good luck with the 6.2 engine, but spotty luck running WVO through the Stanadyne pump. I never got 12K miles out of a pump running WVO. But not a big deal since good used pumps are under a $100.

My experience:
LC

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate the direction to the other Diesel forums!

I had good luck with the 6.2 engine, but spotty luck running WVO through the Stanadyne pump. I never got 12K miles out of a pump running WVO. But not a big deal since good used pumps are under a $100.

My experience:
LC

Started looking up the durability/ longevity of the 6.2L with a Banks Turbo on the other diesel forums. It looks like it is ok, if the boost is not that much. Also, from your experiences running WVO, is their a better way than the Stanadyne pump? Or is their really not a reliable to way to run veggie?

Started looking up the durability/ longevity of the 6.2L with a Banks Turbo on the other diesel forums. It looks like it is ok, if the boost is not that much. Also, from your experiences running WVO, is their a better way than the Stanadyne pump? Or is their really not a reliable to way to run veggie?

search out the guy on diesel place that has the 6.2 in the range rover. I think he runs everything form bio, WVO, to waste motor oil in his rig.... he also adapted a 6speed from a camaro to the 6.2

co4x4

The 6.2 often gets a bad rap from people that:
a- think the engine is the gas converted to diesel 5.7
b- had one and pushed it past what it was meant to do
c- or read something on the web

Like every other engine on this planet, yes they have issues, but they've been around long enough the people have found fixes for eveything.

I've researched a lot over the last 5 years and I think they're good engines. As for WVO, I haven't done much research on this but take a look at the following two sites:
Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums - Duramax Diesel Discussion Forums
TheDieselPage.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

X2 on what kcustom said.

I personally have no experience or knowledge of WVO in the 6.2, but there are those who have done it. You can't use the newer 6.5 with the electronic IP as the optical sensor in it is not compatible with much of anything other than diesel.

Another forum to add to the list to check is: thetruckstop(dot)us

Don

I'm going to have to agree here. As much as it pains me to say, the 6.2 is a good motor. It's stupid reliable and alot cheaper to deal with than a Duramax.
In an LC, a 6.2 is alot of guts in a compact package; most of the grumbling associated with it seems to come from the folks who bought one thinking it was some kind of rocket motor. You'll never win a race running one of these, but it'll go far, and it'll always deliver on torque.

iis their a better way than the Stanadyne pump? Or is their really not a reliable to way to run veggie?

Not that I know of. Everyone's experience differs. Don't let me discourage you.
Worse case scenario you just change pumps out when they go bad. They are CHEAP. If you're doing an engine swap and wrench on your vehicle, changing pumps won't be that big of a deal.

Best case scenario is I've heard of people getting 75K miles on a Stanadyne pump running WVO.

You'll know a month in advance when the injection pump is going bad when it won't idle or stalls at traffic lights. It usually restarts OK until one day it gets worse and doesn't.

Or brew biodiesel and the pumps should live a long life.

Didn't realize my thread was still active! Good to see!
I have spoken to the guy that bought it, trying to sell it to me, have also spoken to another guy interested in it, he went to look at it, says it appears to have been a bit abused and the turbo is not working? Said it would cost $1,000 to repair which doesn't seem possible.
Saddens me to hear it wasn't taken care of, from the few talks I had with the guy who bought it I thought he was really getting it fixed up, although it really didn't need anything.
As far as the 6.2 on WVO, I ran a blend of WVO and diesel and a bit of gas to thin it. It always ran great but the pump did fail after about 6,000 miles. I am not sure it was from the WVO because I had symptoms of failure the entire time I owned it just didn't know it, when I installed the new pump it was amazing the difference in driveability!
Like FL Cruiser stated, it is not a catastrophic failure, it will give you plenty of warning and they are about a 3 hour job to install, probably less the second time around.
I would highly recommend this engine over most anything else available, I haven't driven the Toyota diesels but as far as power, torque and economy they couldn't be much better and for the price difference and ease of finding parts it is no contest!
Rusty

Nice build, I really like/liked your ride (sadness that it has gone to a owner whom doesn’t take care of it )
After reading your thread I have few questions, I want to do a similar setup ( like everyone else lol) but my approach is little different . I want a 6.5L non turbo ( L57 high out put or a L49) I already seen Marks adaptors for bell housing and transfer case and engine mounts . so here are questions?
Can I take out the Toyota’s fuel pump and use the mechanical fuel pump from the engine? is that enough flow?
How would I fix the shift points from Toyota’s A440F?
These engines are still mechanical fuel injection how would I fool Toyota’s ECU?
Any input is much appreciated , thank you guys

How would I fix the shift points from Toyota’s A440F?
These engines are still mechanical fuel injection how would I fool Toyota’s ECU?
Any input is much appreciated , thank you guys

I believe you would need to provide an aftermarket trans controller to get the shift points correct. The torque converter would have to be modified by a shop as well from what I understand.

Keep the boost turned down, don't abuse the loud pedal and the trans will likely be fine.

I believe you would need to provide an aftermarket trans controller to get the shift points correct. The torque converter would have to be modified by a shop as well from what I understand.

Keep the boost turned down, don't abuse the loud pedal and the trans will likely be fine.

The A440F as found in the 91-92 FJ80 behind the 3Fe is a fully Hydrolic transmission. No need for computers of any sort to operate it. They do have one solenoid and its to dump pressure out of the OD circuit when the cruise control send a signal to it on hills. Having said that there is also no way to re program the shifting beyond a custom VB. A lower stall beefed up converter would also be a good idea.

Getting my trannies mixed up again lol. Thanks for the correction!

Thank you guys for inputs, it’s a very slow process for me , im at the researching phase right now .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom