94 cranks, wont start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys where would I begin to look on my 94- it cranks nicely no start, no spark either. I dont want to throw money at it to repair I do have a spare coil and a spare computer but didnt want to try anything until I had a direction to begin to look in. FWIW it has 259000 miles on it.
THX,

Cruiser Dan you and I will get real close here in the next few months as I revive this behemoth to working like new

Last edited:
If you're a 5 banana kinda guy then anything I would suggest would be something you have already tried... probably like the igniter.

-B-

Is the battery cranking strong? I thought my old one was fine until I got the new one. It is amazing how over time we forget how fast a new battery turns. Just my $.02

Okay so i tried a new coil.... Nothing- so if i change the computer will i risk damaging the new one?! i will try to see if the wire harness can be moved around and change anything (even though this seems spark related for now) any other advice? the dealer who i bought it from (in chicago off ebay for 1600!) may have pulled something out so it wouldnt run (alot of stop leak in the radiater and no water) and tried to pass it off as not starting maybe, all in all i got a good deal it has the factory lockers and is all highway miles as well as super clean ....... yes i know it doesnt run but i have another drivetrain for it.

So where do i look now?

checked all fuses and swapped them too

Toyminater said:
checked all fuses and swapped them too

Do you have a wire diagram and a voltmeter? Need to figure out where you have power and where you do not.

Have you pulled a plug to see if its getting power?

My $$ is on a burnt or disconnected....or even grounded wire someplace

i am located in St.louis.......... this reader says it is good for 96 and up-- mine is a 94. but thanks for the reply i will start tracing wires tonight

landtank said:
fuel pump relat maybe. Put your foot to the floor and then try cranking it. On the 96, the relay is mounted inside the DS fender just in front of the firewall, a tough one to find.[/quote

I believe it is getting fuel- I need FIRE for the fuel first!!

Do you have the wiring manual. I would think that would be invaluable for this. I would start checking wires from the distributor back looking for the where the juice ends, but you probabaly have already started that.

Toyminater said:
Hey guys where would I begin to look on my 94- it cranks nicely no start, no spark either. I dont want to throw money at it to repair I do have a spare coil and a spare computer but didnt want to try anything until I had a direction to begin to look in. FWIW it has 259000 miles on it.
THX,

Cruiser Dan you and I will get real close here in the next few months as I revive this behemoth to working like new

Did you run the diagnostic codes?

Ignition to on position
Jump TE1 and E1 of the data link connector (under hood with black plastic cover - connector is labelled with locations)
Get blink code

First digit/s, then 1.5 seconds, second digit/s, then 4.5 seconds, next code...

This should get you closer to the problem. I ran into this on a 93 and it ended up being the ignition switch.

Scott Justusson

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom