93 w/114K, value... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJBen

SILVER Star
Threads
Looking at a 93 WITHOUT lockers :( with 114K on it. One owner, all records and really nice interior. The truck has new BFG's and is completely stock. Runs good, feels very solid.

the bad:

It has rust on the hood from driving in the mountains here all the time and getting stone chips and not repairing them. Also a bit on the rear hatch under the window, and small chips above the windshield. Other than that solid.

The rust isn't horrible or rotted, mostly just surface. The largest spot on the hood is like a silver dollar size.

What do you think a good price would be for this rig? They are asking $8,100.

thoughts?

Got my '93 with 183K, no rust and just had $4600 worth of documented work done for $7K.
At that mileage, you need to consider the front end, birf stuff.

I might look around a little more if I were in your shoes.

Oh, and mine is locked...big difference for me.

Funny you ask about that scenario

I bought my 93 with 114k on it with a slight front end bump for $6000 and yes i think it was worth every penny!

I saved a bunch of $ not searching for the perfect rig with lockers and the color i wanted and such and put that $ into more useful mods!

I added the rear locker for like $350 and i am very happy with my rig!

Oh, this would be for my wife. I would be getting the other 93 we have that is locked. This rig with 114K is VERY solid feeling....it basically rusted on the hood because of the rocks/sand on the road from the interstate here in Colorado. My friend quoted 500 for painting the front/hood rear upper and the small chips on the A-pillars.

I also have an ARB i could throw in the rear from my wrecked FJ55.

Walk away Ben. Hold out for one with no rust and lockers. Can be had for that price. You will be really happy you have the lockers here in the snow. And think about it, it might be your wifes car now, but in the future it could be your car.

Romer said:
Walk away Ben. Hold out for one with no rust and lockers. Can be had for that price. You will be really happy you have the lockers here in the snow. And think about it, it might be your wifes car now, but in the future it could be your car.

Well, I'm getting her locked 80 if we buy this one. So I'll have the lockers. She is NEVER going to wheel this new one...gauranteed.

In the four years we have owned our current 80, she has never touched the lockers, nor taken it on anything more than a dirt road.

I guess the things that are drawing us to this, is the fact that is has way lower mileage than any of the other 80's we have found, 1 owner, all records...the rust is not horrific by anymeans. My bodyshop friend said prolly $500 to fix, it is just surface on those very few spots.

The "average" mileage on a 93 *should* be around 193K....which is where our current one is at. I guess I was expecting different answers for solid low mileage wife mall crawler....hmmmm

***What would be a good price for this rig???***

Ahhhh, I understand

Your question is always a tough one without seeing it and inspecting it. When was the last time the front axle was serviced, HG, Do you know what the compression is, any rust on the underside, condition of the interior.

If everything was perfect and it was well maintained and the HG and front axle were done recently, I would say thats probably a good price. Otherwise, I would go closer to $7K and downgrade from there any other deficiencies.

Again, it's hard to tell wiythout more info. It usually comes down to what its worth to you.

I thought most of the cruisers that were showing just slight surface rust under the rear window were fairly severly rusted under the window gasket.

Thats actually not a bad price for the snow country in the winter, anything 4x4 goes up about 1500 bucks. One thing to watch out for is that rear hatch rust can be pretty sneaky. Make sure to lift up the rubber seal for several inches around the visible spot to check for cancer. It also would be a good idea if you do buy it to have that rear window removed and have the frame rust treated prior to reinstallation. That being said, the miles are what that rig has going for it. You could probly find one for less money in a different state or with higher miles, but for a one owner rig with that few miles, I'd offer 7500 citiing the rear rust.
Good luck,
Dan

Edit: Damn, Josh beat me to it

FJBen said:
***What would be a good price for this rig???***

Well, as a reference, i paid $6000 for a 93 with 114k with a minor fender bender in the front

Truck = $6000
Hood = $360
Headlight = $180
Turn Signal = $35
Rear Electric Locker and Associated Parts for Install = $500

Total = $7075 and aside from the hood still being primer, i think i have one of the cleaner 80's i have seen! Not a speck of rust on the entire thing, paint is flawless (except for hood) and the undercarriage is still black with not a speck of rust. The leather is fawked but other then that the interior is flawless, 3rd seats never sat in, etc......

Offer him $6500, if he doesnt accept it, there are more out there!

What helped me on the choice was the realization of trying to find one in better shape was VERY SILLY considering that 1) i was going to go through the entire thing and do PM anyway and that 2) why would i want flawless paint on something that i am going to wheel? I already have "Trail Marks" on the side of my rig. If i had paid $12k or so for one with mint paint, it would have hurt a lot more to wheeling it down tight trails!

Thats my .02

robjam said:
Did I miss something here? :confused:

yes you did

the PO have 4k+ worth of work done, before he bought it for $7k

simple

:flipoff2:

Boston Mangler said:
yes you did

the PO have 4k+ worth of work done, before he bought it for $7k

simple

:flipoff2:

You have now proven my point. Thanks. :flipoff2:

Paid 5500 for my 93 180k

Romer said:
Ahhhh, I understand

Your question is always a tough one without seeing it and inspecting it. When was the last time the front axle was serviced, HG, Do you know what the compression is, any rust on the underside, condition of the interior.

If everything was perfect and it was well maintained and the HG and front axle were done recently, I would say thats probably a good price. Otherwise, I would go closer to $7K and downgrade from there any other deficiencies.

Again, it's hard to tell wiythout more info. It usually comes down to what its worth to you.

I need to look at the service records again, I'd definitely offer less. In quickly browsing through all the documents she had, It showed the dealership for 30K service, 45K service...etc...I'm not sure which, if any of those includes the front end service. I'm not totally afraid of that, cause I'll be doing almost all of the PM on it. She ran synthetic in it and the interior is VERY VERY nice. the drivers is just starting to dry, all the rest seriously look and feel like two years old.

The rear hatch has me the most worried. Seems to be a cruiser trend...I'll search some more on here.

Lately all we can find is high mileage w/o lockers for 8K plus. There is also the fact we are down to one vehicle with the wreck, so I don't REALLY have a lot of time options. I'll keep looking today!!!

thanks!

<<<edit>>>> Searching on the rear hatch it's looking REALLY ugly for replacement...me thinks it's time to super low ball..

Last edited by a moderator:
What color hatch Ben???

Fj

Don't do it bro unless you can get it for $6000 or less. There's better deals out there.

2 years ago when I got mine I would have jumped on that hard. Prices have been dropping some lately and with rust issues you get probably talk them down some however...
How bad is the rust? cause a 13 year old rig with a real clean interior for 8k doesn't sound so bad to me but I'm not some uber-shopper willing to scour the country for the perfect rig (especially since I just beat on them anyway). And remember, if you like the rig and have a good feeling about it then it's only money and you can't take it with you, so whats a thousand here or there.
Good luck :cheers:

i'd say with those miles the price is not bad at all. probably cheapest to just replace the tailgate with one from a wreckers that is the same colour. grab the hood while you are at it :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom