93 TLC just quit running and will not start. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I rarely drive my 93 TLC. We call it "ole dependable." It has about 170K miles. I have to replace the window actuators and the drag link. But that is beside the point. I have to get Ole Dependable to run first. The truck wouldn't start because of a a super dead battery. Tried jumper cables to no avail. Removed the battery and low amperage charged it overnight. After reinstalling the battery, the truck started just fine. I let it idle to more charge the battery. After 2 hours the truck just stopped running. It will not start. Battery is fine. All dash lights work. No starter click. Gas gauge indicates over 1/2 full. Truck is on street, not driven, just parked and running in idle, when it just quit running. ???? :worms:Has anyone experienced this problem. I turn the ignition key and get no response. Not a click or any noise from the starter. The good news is that it happened in front of the house and not out on the highway. I much appreciate and thanks for any suggestions.

To confirm, the truck was sitting idling for two hours and quit on it's own?

I had something similar once - I think it had to do with position of distributor? I shook my rig, shifted up and down thru all gears, put it in neutral, and it started right up...YMMV, worth a shot I guess!

Yep! That is correct. She was idling when I left for a couple of hours, when I returned the truck was not running at all. The dash lights were on, the CEL oil temp etc. When I turned the ignition key, there was no response at all from under the hood. ?? I have not tried shorting the starter.

I put the ignition key to on and cycled through the transmission gears. JIggled the keys. No joy. I'll go right now and try the knocking on the distributor cap. Certainly worth a try. Thank you

... I'll go right now and try the knocking on the distributor cap. Certainly worth a try. Thank you

Not going to help if the starter doesn't work. That would be starter, interlock, battery, connection type problem.

Hmmm...how can you be sure how long it was running if you left? I'd switch out the battery with a known good battery. Chances are it has the voltage but no amperage capability any more. Had that happen on my
93, I started it after charging the dead battery and it started and idled for about 25 minutes and then died. Wouldn't restart, had all my lights etc... no starter, tried to jump it to no avail. Grabbed the battery out of my
Truck and swapped it...started right up, took
The battery out while it was running and put the old one back in, died minutes later. Swapped them again and it ran fine again, drove around for a week on the trucks battery until I bought a replacement. My alternator was also on its way out, that should be mentioned.

I had a situation where I stopped for gas, went to restart the truck and nothing. All dash lights on, everything would work as normal, but the starter would not make a sound. I ended up disconnecting the battery for a minute or so on the hunch there was something goofed with the factory alarm. Hooked the battery back up and the truck started up like nothing happened.

Has not happened since, which was nearly a year ago. And I cannot say for certain it was the factory alarm, but there isn't much that I can think of that will interrupt the starter circuit in such a fashion.

Yep! That is correct. She was idling when I left for a couple of hours, when I returned the truck was not running at all. The dash lights were on, the CEL oil temp etc. When I turned the ignition key, there was no response at all from under the hood. ?? I have not tried shorting the starter.

Without getting into walking away from a running vehicle it is possible that it quit shortly after you left and sat idle with the key on. Powered-up ignition on a non-running engine can sometimes damage the igniter or distributor. Not too likely but should be considered. It is also possible that the battery reserve has been depleted and it needs a jump again.

If the battery was completely dead, it's probably no good and you were lucky it took enough charge to start the engine the next day.

I agree with trying out a different battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom