93 Master Cylinder work on 74 fj40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

H2o

Threads
I have a 74 FJ40. I have disks in front, and drums in rear. I just ordered a new booster to replace the OEM that I rebuilt, but was missing one seal that I could not find, so decided to upgrade to the later dual diaphragm booster.

I have a 93 toyota pickup Master cylinder and was wondering if it would work with my front disk, rear drum setup. I may eventually do the disks in rear but for now, want to get my truck back on the road. My question is where are the residual valves located on this MC?

I’m using an early ’90s booster and MC with discs all around. Only issue I have is I think i need a residual valve to keep the rear from singing(dragging lightly). It’s not enough of an issue that I’ve moved it to the front burner. Overall, i really like the mini truck setup.

I have a 74 FJ40. I have disks in front, and drums in rear. I just ordered a new booster to replace the OEM that I rebuilt, but was missing one seal that I could not find, so decided to upgrade to the later dual diaphragm booster.

I have a 93 toyota pickup Master cylinder and was wondering if it would work with my front disk, rear drum setup. I may eventually do the disks in rear but for now, want to get my truck back on the road. My question is where are the residual valves located on this MC?

If the '93 truck had rear drums, you'll be fine - but as @archie73 mentioned, discs and drums have different residual pressure requirements and hence different residual pressure one-way valves.

Does anyone know where residual valves are located? @archie73, if your brakes are singing, I would imagine your 10lb residual drum valve is still installed? Wouldn't you need to remove it? I was originally running my 74 MC with the front residual valve removed completely, it stopped great.

Does anyone know where residual valves are located? @archie73, if your brakes are singing, I would imagine your 10lb residual drum valve is still installed? Wouldn't you need to remove it? I was originally running my 74 MC with the front residual valve removed completely, it stopped great.
Upon further research, you are likely correct. I guess I got the concept wrong- not the first time. Like I said, this has not moved up to a front burner, but this discussion could move it up some…

It seems the resididual valves are behind a brass cone installed in the exit fitting, where you screw in your brake line. They say to pull it out with a screw extractor, remove it, and reinstall the cone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom