1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

93 LC; drive plates and ECU

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by cstamm81, Feb 26, 2007.

1. cstamm81

cstamm81

So I am considering buying a certain built 93 LC. In my studies, it seems the 93's have thinner drive plates and peksy ECU's. How big of a problem are these two things. Looks like the ECU's cost about 1200. Do the thin drive plates equal a weak link?

2. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
    Drive flanges are not really much of an issue. Only April 93 and older vehicles have the possibly problematical ECM.

3. cstamm81

cstamm81

Thanks cruiserdan, I will check the mfg date.

4. Bearcat80

Bearcat80

As far as I know, the drive flanges are just different, not necessarily better. I've not seen anyone post a problem with them. The ECU can be replaced with a used one with the right part # for appx $200.00, and you only need to do this if you see the code. The same code can be caused by a slightly too tight accelerator cable.(This I learned the hard way) On the plus side, you get a tranny made for buses, and your code reader comes from your stash of office supplies. I would be much more concerned with general vehicle condition and past maintenance than what year it is.

5. cstamm81

cstamm81

crap, looks like mfg date is 1/93. bearcat, where can I get used ECU's for $200?

6. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
    That is an avearge junk yard price. You would search the import yards for a 5-93 through 12-94 donor.

There is also the possibility that the computer has already been changed. If so it will have an 89661-60221 installed.

The computer is not doomed to fail for that matter. It's a gamble.

7. Beowulf

Beowulf

And if/when they fail, it is not a disabling condition. The truck will still work and run OK. In fact, most of those that have failed have only had the MIL codes as the symptoms.

-B-