93 LAND CRUISER FJ80 1FZ-FE BOGGING JERKING (1 Viewer)

My 93 LC80 1FZ_FE is bogging and jerking. Sudden drop in RPM then picking up again

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All

My 93 LC80 1FZ-FE is bogging and jerking unpredictably. Sudden drop in RPM then picking again. Sometimes it doesnt go above 2500 RPM on full throttle. It picks up again and would drive normally up to 4200RPM. then it would do it gain. This started when I passed by a very small poodle after a rainy day 6 month ago.
Recently, I've changed:
-Fuel pump. filter and fuel regulator
- Head gasket, timing chain brackets
- Spark plugs, Coil, Igniter, Distributor to spark plugs cables, and Distributor rotor.
- Engine timing is set to 10
- Checked both earth wires (engine to body and harness to body)

The problem is still there. even when doing 150 KM/H. engine still feels like its not pushing right and slight loss of power every now and then

Any help will be appreciated as I'm running out of money trying to figure this thing out!

First things first, why is there a poll question on this thread?

Secondly, did the poodle survive?
poodle.jpg

I would check the air flow sensor. I'm guessing poodle = puddle.

Hi All

My 93 LC80 1FZ-FE is bogging and jerking unpredictably. Sudden drop in RPM then picking again. Sometimes it doesnt go above 2500 RPM on full throttle. It picks up again and would drive normally up to 4200RPM. then it would do it gain. This started when I passed by a very small poodle after a rainy day 6 month ago.
Recently, I've changed:
-Fuel pump. filter and fuel regulator
- Head gasket, timing chain brackets
- Spark plugs, Coil, Igniter, Distributor to spark plugs cables, and Distributor rotor.
- Engine timing is set to 10
- Checked both earth wires (engine to body and harness to body)

The problem is still there. even when doing 150 KM/H. engine still feels like its not pushing right and slight loss of power every now and then

Any help will be appreciated as I'm running out of money trying to figure this thing out!

Question: did you check/clean your MAF sensor and connection? Also make sure your intake hose doesn't have a big leak. Hope the poodle is ok.

Fuel delivery - did you change the pre-filter / in-tank fuel sock?

Have you checked the fuel injectors themselves?

Did the problem start prior to all these parts being changed, or can you pinpoint a time when it & started & what may have been altered just prior to that?

How about simple things like the connectors to the fuel pump, the MAF, the TPS, etc? -I've never been to the UAE, so I'm not familiar if corrosion of any sort is common to the local environment or if extreme heat creates issues like how vapor lock happens/is common in certain vehicles (old Jeep Grand Wagoneers/V8) due to vehicle design / aerodynamics.

I see you changed the headgasket - was this an issue prior to the headgasket or is this new post headgasket job? (Since a headgasket is totally unrelated to fuel issues)

I've seen a couple other guys have a similar problem & it was caused by water getting into the O2 sensor connection. Try disconnecting the connector & cleaning the connection & use dielectric grease in the connector before connecting back up.

Hi. Thank you all for your suggestions/help. Yes the poodle= puddle :).
- The issue started straight after I passed through the puddle, which was small water accumulated on the main road, and I went through it real slow, not to mention my LC has a 4" lift, and it remained ever since. on and off not so frequent.
- The issue was there before I replaced all those parts.
-Head gasket was replaced because it went/ engine suddenly started missing power while i was driving, but his happened after the jerking issue.
- In tank fuel sock was changed with the new fuel pump, and checked the fuel lines from tank to fuel filter.
- I haven't cleaned the MAF,TPS because I read mixed opinions about cleaning them, causing them to fry/ and some say if they need cleaning they probably need changing. Can I use AC delco carburetor cleaner? my mechanic said its the same thing as the MAF cleaner.
- I haven't checked the MAF hoes/ O2 sensor/ another mechanic said if there was an issue with fuel injectors, then the engine would run bad constantly. But might as well check them

The issue starts mainly after the initial drive of the day after the engine has been cooled over night (when i say cool i mean 26 degrees). I start the car for 5 minutes before I drive it, it jerks for the first 10-15 minutes then it runs fine/ish with slight missing power, the kind of missing power only noticed by someone who drives the car daily and knows the difference. But today, the engine shut off soon as I shift it in gear!. I started it gain and it jerked a lot more than the usual then the engine shut off again, then I started it and drove it doing 140/kmh for an hour with no problems.

What was the FIX??

I have a '96 Land Cruiser with extremely similar issues -
Try to accelerate and it bogs down - tops out around 50 MPH and then jerks.

Did the usual -
Plugs, cap, rotor, wires - no change
Had exhaust leak by y pipe and header - got that fixed. - no change

The head gasket went - put 2 bottles of steelseal in - no longer loosing antifreeze - white smoke greatly reduced - ran great for 90 minutes.
Let idle for 10 and then ran like crap.

Changed Fuel filter - No Change

Checked front O2 sensor - it's only 4 months old - cleaned connection and put dielectric grease on it - no difference
Checked air tube between MAF and intake - had a crack - sealed it - ran great for quick trip to store - very happy

Next morning - ran like crap all over again

383,000 miles

Thank you for your response.

I had 4 codes that I cleared yesterday
P0303 - Cylinder 3 misfire
P0171 - System too Lean BANK 1
P0130 - Generic 02 Sensor Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0133 - Gereric 02 sensor circuit slow response bank 1 sensor 1

A bit of backstory - the Bank 1 sensor 1 02 sensor was replaced about 4 times in 3 weeks - kept failing emissions - figured out that one of the wires going to the 02 sensor plug (from car side) just disintegrated inside the plug so I wired that one wire I bypassed the plug and connected to the 02 senor wire directly. Those are the connections I cleaned and greased

Thank you for your response.

I had 4 codes that I cleared yesterday
P0303 - Cylinder 3 misfire

Is the injector firing, can you hear it click with a stethoscope?

P0171 - System too Lean BANK 1

Unmetered air, most often the intake hose, or could be related to above.

P0133 - Gereric 02 sensor circuit slow response bank 1 sensor 1

A bit of backstory - the Bank 1 sensor 1 02 sensor was replaced about 4 times in 3 weeks - kept failing emissions - figured out that one of the wires going to the 02 sensor plug (from car side) just disintegrated inside the plug so I wired that one wire I bypassed the plug and connected to the 02 senor wire directly. Those are the connections I cleaned and greased

Were the codes cleared and came back or never cleared? What brand are the sensors?

definitely check your injectors. I had my # 6 plug come loose and it acted exactly like that. Use a stethoscope to listen for clicking(clicking=working). Check the plug it may just need to be shoved back on.

Is the injector firing, can you hear it click with a stethoscope?

Unmetered air, most often the intake hose, or could be related to above.

Were the codes cleared and came back or never cleared? What brand are the sensors?

Codes where cleared a while back - just passed emissions a few months ago and then I cleared them last night after cleaning 02 sensor connections and sealing air tube.

P0133 - Generic 02 sensor circuit slow response bank 1 sensor 1

came back today on way home from work today

Not sure of brand of 02 - I think NTK is what I ended up with -

Don't own a stethoscope - will pick one up tomorrow

How exactly do I test injectors?

You use a stethoscope to listen to the injectors. If you can hear them clicking they are working. You can also use a long screwdriver. Wrap your fist around the top of the handle, touch the blade end to the injectors. Put your ear to your fist and listen for the clicking. That's a redneck trick right there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom