'93 HZJ77 - Transmission Identification (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I've confused myself. Searches keep making my confusion worse. Maybe conflicting info on US market vs JDM. 80 vs 70. Dunno. Halp!

Is the shift pattern for all JDM A440F's P-R-N-D-3-2-L and the A442F is P-R-N-D-2-L?

Have a 03/93 HZJ77 and thought it had the A440F. That's what the engine bay data plate shows but the shifter pattern is PRND2L. Has OD and ECT if that matters. Every '90-'93 77 series I've found interior pictures of has a 3rd. All the '94+ I've found have don't have 3rd. Something to do with having OD or not on the 440? Transition year and have a different trans than the data plate indicates? It's an A440F and stop doing Google Image searches?

The wiki shows mostly 80 series info. Not sure if it's the same for 7X. Confused more. (Toyota A transmission - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_A_transmission#A4xx)

It says:

A440F​

Type: Full automatic 4-speed transmission with converter lock-up. Fully mechanical / hydraulically control, no electrics or electronics. Mechanical throttle control input for kick-down function. Connects to external oil cooler. Uses ATF-II. Application:

• 1985–1992 Land Cruiser

A442F​

Applications (calendar years):

Thank you!

electronic control tranny, has got to be the a442 surely?
Sounds legit... And I want that. So my data plate is wrong? That a thing? ha. It's also a repaint... so that color code is now wrong.

IMG_5351.jpg

Here is my LHS. Serial plate is hammered. Electrical thingy for sure.
IMG_5353.jpg

92's had the 442 too?

Example... this '92 shows an ECT light on the dash. For Sale - 1992 HZJ 77 ZX Toyota Land Cruiser - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1992-hzj-77-zx-toyota-land-cruiser.1124997/

Or this late 92 with ECT light https://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/TOYOTA/LAND_CRUISER_70/700080348430201001005/index.htm

Thanks,
B

Parts diagram show an A440f with a part number of 35000-60460 for that year. Could that harness be for the reverse light?

Thank you both. Still confused. But I'm a total idiot. Reverse light is a good call. My NSS is on the other side. Did read there is a hydraulic version of the JDM A442 too.

What about the shifter pattern being PRND2L vs PRD32L? The US Market FJ62's have the PRD32L pattern and I thought those were A440F. 95+ 80s have no 3.

Did find this rebuild of an A440 from an HJ60 and that first picture doesn't show a reverse switch on the LHS>

Also odd that when I plug my frame number into Amayama it comes back as the 1/1995 - 7/1999 not the 3/93 >

B

lso odd that when I plug my frame number into Amayama it comes back as the 1/1995 - 7/1999 not the 3/93 >
It did cross my mind that someone changed the plate to make it appear to be an older version.

Even disregarding the wires, that first pic looks completely different to the a440 in my shed.
Totally off topic, apparently they made a non electric control version of the a442. Oh shoot I see you mentioned that already.
I really don't know what to make of that plate . It makes no sense.

Last edited:
Even disregarding the wires, that first pic looks completely different to the a440 in my shed.
Totally off topic, apparently they made a non electric control version of the a442. Oh shoot I see you mentioned that already.
I really don't know what to make of that plate . It makes no sense.
Thought I had ran across a thread that someone had a trans different than the ID plate but can't find it now. Was a ways back and searching for something totally unrelated. I'd love it to be the 442. Just want to add a temp gauge... that's what started this current state of my confusion.

Can you see any of the old paint to confirm its 26P?
I can. Definitely see that blue/grey color peaking out in a few spots. Engine bay is unpainted. Also pulled out paperwork. It was imported from Japan to Canada by an importer for the buyer. Lot's of inspection papers from Japan and Canada all listing the chassis #. Then I imported from Canada to US and it was inspected at the border. Granted at the time... the US border duder seemed more worried about bringing veggies across the border than Cruisers. But inspections all good. And I've ordered plenty of parts from Stedman using my chassis # and while a lot of that is probably transferable... telling him it was a 93 and using my chassis # never brought up questions... and Dave is pretty on with that stuff.

Ran the chassis number on ToyoDIY and it comes back as expected - 3/93. No idea why Amayama comes back 95-99. Haven't ordered anything there just use it for diagrams. Land of confusion.

Not the thread I had in mind... but found another thread where someone has/had an early '93 HZJ73, said the tag showed an A440 but it has the A442 installed. It was @Radd Cruisers. Can you confirm? Post 7 here >

So maybe it's a thing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom