Builds ‘93 HZJ75 Troopy build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
W’sup Mudders!

Long time toyota guy and Mud lurker here. After quite a bit of searching and waiting, I bought a ‘93 HZJ75 troop carrier from a fellow Mud member about a year ago and now finally getting around to starting a thread about the truck.

It’s RHD and was imported from Oz by the PO. Mileage shows ~350km, but I’m told the motor was replaced ~100km ago. Based on how well it runs this seems believable but at the same time, don’t really care how many KMs it has so long as it runs solid.

Overall condition is pretty solid. A few small spots of rust on the body in the normal places, otherwise the body is relatively straight and free of Bondo. Chassis is virtually 100% rust free, not even much/any surface rust to speak of aside from on the stock exhaust, which will be replaced soon. Paint’s been resprayed once and I’ll be giving it a fresh spray once I get the rust spots taken care of. Will also sound deaden, etc.

Interior is brown/tan and to be honest I can’t really tell if it *was* sable or oak, or some combo of the two perhaps. Appears too dark for oak but then again definitely not the right shade of light tan for sable, either. I can only assume UV damage has affected the color dramatically, and what color it once was I may never know. Thankfully, @coldtaco came through with most of what I need to refresh the interior to the proper dark/light sable (plus my buddy @Bogan is hooking up some fresh OEM cloth seats!). I will swap the interior out at the same time as I dig into the rust spots and body work.

Truck came to me pretty much bone stock and while it was running and driving fairly well, it was definitely in need of some overdue maintenance. took it to Georg at Cruiser Bros for a full health check up. Transfer case outputs were SMOKED, went ahead and rebuilt the entire case and chucked a set of terrain tamer low range gears in because crawling. Injection pump is leaking pretty bad, have a fresh rebuilt unit waiting for a boost compensator to arrive so I can take care of that … and slap a turbo and FMIC in there while we’re at it because go fast.

Ran the stock split 16s and 235s for a good long while just to see how they were (totally fine), but went ahead and threw on a set of FJ Cruiser steelies (w/ 1” wheels spacers) with some 255 BFG MTs mounted that I had laying around from a different truck. Not my “forever” wheels/tires but they look good and are working for now.

Have been chipping away at a bunch of other little things in regard to restoring and repairing but nothing really worthy of calling out specifically. Did install a set of United Pacific LED headlights and man what a wiring nightmare that was! After much trickery we got them working perfectly, including the multi-function halos. I’ll post some more pics and info on that soon.

That’s all for now but I’ve got a bunch of other stuff planned so stay tuned! And thanks in advance for all the help I’m sure I’ll be getting from y’all as I dig deeper into this thing, and of course to those who’ve already helped.

✌️

0886C265-B237-4BE5-B7AF-2C34829F73C8.jpeg

4A532A8F-48A6-4E08-A28D-637534E4EA08.jpeg

619F3572-F404-45F6-9E94-73CFF0494B08.jpeg

172E65FD-8D50-425C-B86B-BECCEBCAD28A.jpeg

0D16FC3E-E4F8-4CE9-94E1-96FFE21E76B2.jpeg

Very noice. Welcome!

Nothing too exciting but just got the truck back from Georg and the crew at Valley Hybrids/Crusier Bros. They rebuilt the transmission, injection pump & injectors, new t belt & water pump, rebuilt both knuckles, installed a catch can, and a slew of other little things. Truck runs SO smooth now. They also cleaned up the engine bay real nice and gave her a good bath.

Just wanted to share and say that Georg and team do great work and are lovely people to work with. Georg stayed around after hours and picked me up at the train station. The truck has been serviced by them a few times now and they also go above and beyond. Glad to have such a niche, knowledgeable shop relatively close to home.

Taking the truck down to Tucson in a few weeks for some fun in the desert and to race 24 hours of old Pueblo with some buddies. can’t wait! Gonna install @Bogan’s stock front cloth seats before the trip, which will be a huge upgrade over my thrashed stock vinyl seats. Between that and the frosty AC maybe my 🍑 won’t stick to the seats 😂

941688E6-DD23-43F0-8FA7-EE9617C283F7.jpeg

W’sup Mudders!

Long time toyota guy and Mud lurker here. After quite a bit of searching and waiting, I bought a ‘93 HZJ75 troop carrier from a fellow Mud member about a year ago and now finally getting around to starting a thread about the truck.

It’s RHD and was imported from Oz by the PO. Mileage shows ~350km, but I’m told the motor was replaced ~100km ago. Based on how well it runs this seems believable but at the same time, don’t really care how many KMs it has so long as it runs solid.

Overall condition is pretty solid. A few small spots of rust on the body in the normal places, otherwise the body is relatively straight and free of Bondo. Chassis is virtually 100% rust free, not even much/any surface rust to speak of aside from on the stock exhaust, which will be replaced soon. Paint’s been resprayed once and I’ll be giving it a fresh spray once I get the rust spots taken care of. Will also sound deaden, etc.

Interior is brown/tan and to be honest I can’t really tell if it *was* sable or oak, or some combo of the two perhaps. Appears too dark for oak but then again definitely not the right shade of light tan for sable, either. I can only assume UV damage has affected the color dramatically, and what color it once was I may never know. Thankfully, @coldtaco came through with most of what I need to refresh the interior to the proper dark/light sable (plus my buddy @Bogan is hooking up some fresh OEM cloth seats!). I will swap the interior out at the same time as I dig into the rust spots and body work.

Truck came to me pretty much bone stock and while it was running and driving fairly well, it was definitely in need of some overdue maintenance. took it to Georg at Cruiser Bros for a full health check up. Transfer case outputs were SMOKED, went ahead and rebuilt the entire case and chucked a set of terrain tamer low range gears in because crawling. Injection pump is leaking pretty bad, have a fresh rebuilt unit waiting for a boost compensator to arrive so I can take care of that … and slap a turbo and FMIC in there while we’re at it because go fast.

Ran the stock split 16s and 235s for a good long while just to see how they were (totally fine), but went ahead and threw on a set of FJ Cruiser steelies (w/ 1” wheels spacers) with some 255 BFG MTs mounted that I had laying around from a different truck. Not my “forever” wheels/tires but they look good and are working for now.

Have been chipping away at a bunch of other little things in regard to restoring and repairing but nothing really worthy of calling out specifically. Did install a set of United Pacific LED headlights and man what a wiring nightmare that was! After much trickery we got them working perfectly, including the multi-function halos. I’ll post some more pics and info on that soon.

That’s all for now but I’ve got a bunch of other stuff planned so stay tuned! And thanks in advance for all the help I’m sure I’ll be getting from y’all as I dig deeper into this thing, and of course to those who’ve already helped.

✌️

View attachment 2742721

View attachment 2742722

View attachment 2742723

View attachment 2742726

View attachment 2742727
The engine replacement paperwork was in the stack of maintenance docs. You should have it somewhere. It was done professionally down in Oz. Nice to see the truck looking happy!

A/C question! I've searched (on this forum and on google) to no avail ... I'm sure there is good info somewhere but I can't seem to find it. On the drive to Tucson, the AC just stopped working. The compressor itself doesn't seem to be engaging. When I toggle the AC dial on the dash off and on nothing happens at the electromagnetic clutch on the compressor. I checked the AC fuse in the kick panel and it's good. I looked for a relay as well but could not find one. The only two fuse/relay locations on the vehicle (HZJ75RV-MRQ 02.1993) I am aware of are the main fuse box behind the kick panel and the little secondary box under the hood. For background, the AC compressor is OEM and was replaced about a year ago. Prior to this happening the only issue I've had with AC was a leaky Schrader valve that was letting all the refrigerant escape, but in that case the compressor would still kick on. That is not the case this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom