93 heater core (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, anyone know what the differences between a 93 and 96-97 front heater core are, since the 93 is nla, what replacements are available? Can the heater box be modified for the 96 core?

Your handle foreshadows your quest.
Are you certain replacing the core is your only option?

Pretty sure the core is leaking, floor is not wet yet, but can smell antifreeze inside when warm, coming through the vents and getting the hazy film on the inside of windshield. No engine bay coolant leaks found.

Wuhl, I get that sweet smell in the coldest temps.
But not a single leak can be found. Never a wet floor anywhere. And after some cleaning, also get heat from the dash.
Do you get the smell in warm climes? (I don't, fwiw)

Started getting the smell inside about October, only when turning the heat on. I've had this 80 since 1994, never had this smell before. On its second radiator also, and first replacement heater control valve this past spring.

Last edited:
Started getting the smell inside about October, only when turning the heat on. I've had this 80 since 1994, never had this smell before. On its second radiator also, and first replacement heater control valve this past spring.
Does your radiator res bottle tell a tale?

No the newer heater core does not drop in the older heater box. You can make it work with some modifications to the plastic heater box.

You could pressure test the heater core without pulling in. Don’t put over 15 psi on it. You can get yours rebuilt if it is leaking.

It is a massive job in these Cruisers to pull a heater core. Entire dash and HVAC system has to come out. Be warned!

Cheers

So, anyone know what the differences between a 93 and 96-97 front heater core are, since the 93 is nla, what replacements are available? Can the heater box be modified for the 96 core?
Another possibility is to buy a used 93 core from someone like @slow95z or @arcteryx

Then have it pressure tested and refurbished. Refurbished will be about $300 plus the cost of the core.

This way you can still drive until it's time to tear it all apart. Then sell your old leaky core to someone else looking to do the same.

I do have used ones but I sell them as is. No warranty on them.

The best solution, but most expensive, is to upgrade to the newer core and box but that's over 600 bucks last I checked.

I'm not afraid of modification to my existing heater box to make the newer core fit, but I thought I read somewhere that 2 additional pipes are required, and they are nla? Anyone have the part numbers?
I would prefer an original, pm's sent also.

Just pull the dash, pull your old core, take it to a rad shop and have them rebuild it. Maybe $150 at the rad shop max. Put it back in, fill with coolant, and drive. There's a write-up on here somewhere. Did this job about 6 or 8 months ago. One day to pull, however long in the rad shop, a day to button up. Problem solved.

The best solution, but most expensive, is to upgrade to the newer core and box but that's over 600 bucks last I checked.
Last I checked, the heater core for my '97 is NLA. I bought one of the last remaining units a couple of years ago iirc. It's collecting dust somewhere in my storage unit including the one of two pipes that wasn't NLA at the time of purchase. I hope I myself never have to replace it. I actually minimize use of the HVAC system unless absolutely necessary (doable in my neck of woods).

From here, there are four PNs for the heater core.

*96-97
*93-94
*91-92

Last I checked, the heater core for my '97 is NLA. I bought one of the last remaining units a couple of years ago iirc. It's collecting dust somewhere in my storage unit including the one of two pipes that wasn't NLA at the time of purchase.
man that sucks if true. last time i checked was a year or so ago.

Just pull the dash, pull your old core, take it to a rad shop and have them rebuild it. Maybe $150 at the rad shop max. Put it back in, fill with coolant, and drive. There's a write-up on here somewhere. Did this job about 6 or 8 months ago. One day to pull, however long in the rad shop, a day to button up. Problem solved.

I need to move... Traditional shops that will do a recore seem to be getting few and far between at least around here. I paid $300 to do mine a few months ago.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom