'93 FZJ80, worth it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, guys!

This is my first post. I've been lurking on mud for a long time and have appreciated all I've learned. Wanted to get your guys' input on this LC.

The pics aren't the greatest, but it has 111k original miles and looks like great condition. I asked for interior pics and it looks very clean, no cracks in the leather. I've been talking with the owner's son in law (who now has possession of the car because his father in law passed), and he showed me a picture of lots of documents, so it looks like it was taken well care of.

$17.5k is a lot, though. I live in Chicago and I'm scheduled to see the car next weekend, but thought I'd want to see what your guys' initial thoughts were?

Thanks for any input in advanced!

Hey, guys!

This is my first post. I've been lurking on mud for a long time and have appreciated all I've learned. Wanted to get your guys' input on this LC.

The pics aren't the greatest, but it has 111k original miles and looks like great condition. I asked for interior pics and it looks very clean, no cracks in the leather. I've been talking with the owner's son in law (who now has possession of the car because his father in law passed), and he showed me a picture of lots of documents, so it looks like it was taken well care of.

$17.5k is a lot, though. I live in Chicago and I'm scheduled to see the car next weekend, but thought I'd want to see what your guys' initial thoughts were?

Hey, guys!

Commenting as a newbie who tooled around the 80 market for the past year or so until recent purchase...

Assuming the truck looks as good as the crummy pics and the inside is also near pristine, I’d say this is “competitively” priced for a truck with no apparent mods or bolt-on’s, and no lockers. Very few of these with this low a mileage and single owner come to public market in a given year; and that is hard to valuate. However, I’d be careful of a Chicago vehicle and verify their rust assessment cautiously...also look into the reported accident.

If as advertised, $15-16K would be a nice buy

For the price, I would be very wary of "very little rust". If he sent you pictures of the engine bay and undercarriage, post those. If it has the magic dial and the correct door code, don't post any pictures, just buy it.

It is nice. The price is about $2500 high, in my opinion.

kevinkevinkevin, you happen to live in a major part of the American rust belt, so I'd be very skeptical of the sellers claim of "very little rust" that is until i got the truck up on a lift, and inspected it myself.

no!

There's a reason why that truck has been on sale for 185 days. Priced way too high, even if it came with lockers.

That being said, $2500 like zapatius mentioned is low. I don't know what the 80 market is like in Chicago, but in the Vegas area and without lockers, it'll fetch $8500 tops, mainly due to its low mileage. Don't pay $17500 and look elsewhere.

As others have said...rust. 27 years in Chicago is a lot of salty hard winters. And as a buyer of a rusty low-mileage pig 100 that I am still struggling to know what to do with, I add make sure to look very closely to see if they have undercoated the underside to hide rust.

Commenting as a newbie who tooled around the 80 market for the past year or so until recent purchase...

Assuming the truck looks as good as the crummy pics and the inside is also near pristine, I’d say this is “competitively” priced for a truck with no apparent mods or bolt-on’s, and no lockers. Very few of these with this low a mileage and single owner come to public market in a given year; and that is hard to valuate. However, I’d be careful of a Chicago vehicle and verify their rust assessment cautiously...also look into the reported accident.

If as advertised, $15-16K would be a nice buy

Upon entering my journey in finding an 80, I first thought that this was way too expensive, but I'm just seeing so many go for higher prices that look crummier. It's insane what 80's are going for right now. It's priced really high, but *knock on wood* it comes not too rust, as advertised.

I contacted the owner and he says the reported accident seems to come up because there was a trailer hitch recall way back when.

Hopefully I can bring him down to $15.5k. How insane is it that we're saying a 30 year old vehicle is worth $15.5k :rofl:

For the price, I would be very wary of "very little rust". If he sent you pictures of the engine bay and undercarriage, post those. If it has the magic dial and the correct door code, don't post any pictures, just buy it.

It is nice. The price is about $2500 high, in my opinion.

Will go check the car (hopefully) this weekend and post thorough pics! And could you elaborate on the correct door code? Sorry if this is an ignorant question.

Last edited:
kevinkevinkevin, you happen to live in a major part of the American rust belt, so I'd be very skeptical of the sellers claim of "very little rust" that is until i got the truck up on a lift, and inspected it myself.

Yeah, my plan is to crawl under the truck and inspect meticulously for rust. I'm sure there's some surface rust just due to the age of the car, but anything biting through I'll have to say no.

*IF* this were to be very little rust, would you think this price is fair???

As an owner of a 93, I think it's a lot of money. The low mileage sounds appealing but it can be as bad as high mileage since it has sat a lot over the pass 27, near 28 years. The obd1 wouldn't turn me off, but rust is a no go. If the price doesn't dissuade you, then pull the carpet up at the rear window corners as they can leak there. Look for rusty suspension and bolts around the brake lines and heater hoses, especially for the rear heat. If they're rusty, you wont be getting them off. They'll crumble amd you'll have to work out a means of replacing the brackets and hoses.

Hell, I love my 80 but if someone wanted to give me that much I wont even cry! Mine has trail rash and bumps, but is at least 99% rust free and modded.

As an owner of a 93, I think it's a lot of money. The low mileage sounds appealing but it can be as bad as high mileage since it has sat a lot over the pass 27, near 28 years. The obd1 wouldn't turn me off, but rust is a no go. If the price doesn't dissuade you, then pull the carpet up at the rear window corners as they can leak there. Look for rusty suspension and bolts around the brake lines and heater hoses, especially for the rear heat. If they're rusty, you wont be getting them off. They'll crumble amd you'll have to work out a means of replacing the brackets and hoses.

Hell, I love my 80 but if someone wanted to give me that much I wont even cry! Mine has trail rash and bumps, but is at least 99% rust free and modded.

Pulling the carpet near the rear window corners is a great idea -- are you referring to the location near the tailgate?

Any other tips I should look out for other than rust and OTRAMM's video?

Yes, both corners by the tailgate. Easy to pull it up and put it back.

I haven't seen otramms video, but the bottoms of all of the doors will hold water if the window seals are shot, so they're suspect. The tailgate hatch under the rear wiper comes to mind. I'd look close around every window rubber.

My thought is if you're going to mod the one you buy with new suspension and such, if thebolts you have to remove are rusty, it's not worth the aggravation and I'd pass and find one elsewhere without rusty nuts.

Yeah, my plan is to crawl under the truck and inspect meticulously for rust. I'm sure there's some surface rust just due to the age of the car, but anything biting through I'll have to say no.

*IF* this were to be very little rust, would you think this price is fair???

I think the important question you really need to be asking yourself, what's the maximum amount you feel comfortable spending, and if the truck your looking at today is over that max, then you keep looking.

I can tell you one thing for sure, clean examples of these trucks are going up in price everyday.

I bought my rust free southern California truck that's 3X locked, with 101 thousand miles on it for $8500 dollars 5 1/2 years ago. Do i think I'd be able to buy that same truck today for that same price, in a word, no.

Did i pay to much for my truck when i bought it, maybe, but as time goes by, if i keep it in good shape i know i can get more for it today, then i paid for it 5 1/2 years ago.

I think the important question you really need to be asking yourself, what's the maximum amount you feel comfortable spending, and if the truck your looking at today is over that max, then you keep looking.

I can tell you one thing for sure, clean examples of these trucks are going up in price everyday.

I bought my rust free southern California truck that's 3X locked, with 101 thousand miles on it for $8500 dollars 5 1/2 years ago. Do i think I'd be able to buy that same truck today for that same price, in a word, no.

Did i pay to much for my truck when i bought it, maybe, but as time goes by, if i keep it in good shape i know i can get more for it today, then i paid for it 5 1/2 years ago.

Yeah, I agree with you. It's getting super difficult to find really clean ones for cheap. I've been searching all over the US for about a little over a year. I find myself thinking "Should I wait for one that's banged up and put in a lot of effort and work, knowing that it'll spend significant time in the garage? Or should I get one that has great bones, but pay a premium?" I find myself going back and forth a lot. The problem with the former is that, although I have confidence in my wrenching skills, I don't have a garage, so I'll have to lift the truck in my parking space. Doable, but not ideal, that's why I wonder if I'll bang my head against the wall not paying extra for something with good bones.

That is to say this one even has good bones! Will have to check it out some time this weekend and inspect is meticulously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom