93 FZJ80 with a bad ECU? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

adventr

SILVER Star
Threads
About to take the cruiser on a 2000 mile trip (leaving Friday!) and while going over the rig, I remember that my CEL flashed on for about 30 seconds while I was wheeling a couple weeks ago.

I had forgotten all about it, but managed to remember today. :beer:

Anyway, I jump the pins on the datalink connector, and I get:

Code 83
Code 84
Code 85

After looking it up on here, it appears that the general consensus is that I need a new ECU.... My cruiser seems to fit the bill, since it's a 93.

However, it runs/shifts/drives perfectly, and the light only came on for about 30 seconds.
I'm just curious why this means I need a new ECU? Is it going to be ok on my trip, or do I need to jump through hoops to get one here before Friday?

It's been about 3 weeks since it flickered on, and then went back off. During that time, I've not noticed ANYTHING out of the ordinary with it.

Here's some more relevant info:

1993 Model
07/93 Build Date
043885 Production Number (last of VIN)

What do you guys think?

Here is a pic of my ECU:

ForumRunner_20120312_201646.jpg

Sent from my C771 using IH8MUD
ForumRunner_20120312_201646.jpg

if you're getting the codes, start looking for a later 93, or better a 94.
i ran one of mine for a summer with the codes popping up every few weeks, till i tracked a 94 ecu down.

That is strange, the one you want is 89661-60221 and you already have it.

89660-60220 is the early California spec ECU. Both it and the 89661-60170 (early 49 state) are replaced by the 89661-60221.

I have not of the later ECU throwing those codes.

So you read them as stored codes?

I would pull the negative and let the ECU reset for a few minutes. Drive and see what happens.

That is strange, the one you want is 89661-60221 and you already have it.

89660-60220 is the early California spec ECU. Both it and the 89661-60170 (early 49 state) are replaced by the 89661-60221.

I have not of the later ECU throwing those codes.

Yeah, that's what I thought I read as well... My 80 was built after May/93 so it looks like that 60221 is a factory item.

Maybe that code was just a random hiccup? Here are the circumstances when it appeared (I remember quite well as I closely monitor all gauges):

Been trail riding (slowly) for about 2hrs. Popped out on a dirt road that lead to the next trailhead. Was coasting downhill on said dirtroad at around 20mph. CEL was lit.
Turned onto trailhead, dropped back into low range and made it about 50' before the CEL wen't off.

Engine ran fine the whole time!

So you read them as stored codes?

I would pull the negative and let the ECU reset for a few minutes. Drive and see what happens.

Correct. The CEL was lit about 3wks ago, and lasted less than a minute before going back off. I had forgotten about it until tonight, and I read them as stored codes in the ECU.

If it were me, I would reset the ECU and go on with life.

I have an early model 93 and have updated my ecu after getting those same codes. I also experienced no effects other than the codes. From what I know, those codes are representative of a loss of comm with the ecu. That being said, my fsm specifies this code as being a loss of comm between 3 circuits all responsible for electronic spark advance. How long have you had your truck? Is it possible that your ecu was previously replaced and the code was not cleared? Maybe you have a loose harness connection at your ecu or tcm. I would agree with Mogas that you should reset and see if it pops up again. You can also reset your ecu by pulling the Efi fuse which will keep you from having to set your clock and stereo.

Thanks for the input. I'll just clear the code and hopefully I won't see it again.

I had the codes, got the right ECU, and still had the codes, it turned out to be the throttle position sensor was bad.

I had the codes, got the right ECU, and still had the codes, it turned out to be the throttle position sensor was bad.

Good to know! I'll test the sensor tonight with my ohm-meter and see if it has a dead spot or anything.

Thanks!

My 93 pops the CEL about twice a year, usually on a road trip. I've never checked the codes, I just keep driving it. 254,xxx miles currently. Mine is an early 93 with the "less desirable" ECU. I don't fret it, probably should look into it more and at least find the codes, just haven't made it a priority.

My older '93 (now sold) had the codes, and alo used to sometimes stumble when coasting to a halt, and also wouldn't always pick up cleanly from standstill/low revs. Changed it to the latter 60221 ECU (from the US incidentally, couldn't find one over here in the UK) and everything sorted, including the codes.

If you are not getting the stumbling, I'd ignore it and drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom