93 FZJ80 no start! quite confused noob (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.stopdownstills.com
So have left the Cruiser in a heated parking garage thanks to work to keep it out of the 200 in. of snow we have had in Crested Butte, CO this season. Have had a couple times where the cruiser won't start on initial try, but after waiting, would eventually turn over. Recently, started just fine (in the heated parking garage) drove less then 5 miles, turned off and when tried to start again, would not turn over. Heard the clicking of the starter, but no response. AAA saved the day, (no thanks to my buddy losing my burly jumper cables :eek:) got it started, drove around for 1/2 hr +, and brought back to parking garage. Tried turning off and back on, but no such luck. Jumped it last night to see what would happen, and noticed once started (with all accessories off) when turning on headlights, battery meter needle jumps quickly, as with the power locks. Was going to get alternator tested tommorrow, but wanted your guys opinion. Fusibles seems okay (from what I can tell), and everything else seems to be in check (terminal tester showed battery had juice; plenty of fluid inside still). Anyone know what the main problem could be? Alternator going back, starter solenoid, battery dying?? Quite confused, any help is appreciated. The searches so far have helped a TON! THANKS!

Looks like starter contacts. How old is your battery?

Not quite sure. Could be quite old for all I know. Bought the Crusier in June in Florida, and drove it all the way to Colorado. Assuming the battery was bought in FL, it may not have too many CCA. How do you clean/refurbish starter contacts? Easy to do, would most mechanics would know what I am talking about?

Sounds like a textbook starter issue to me. I had the same problem, as have many others on this board. Assuming your battery is ok, when it doesn't start you can whack the starter with a hammer a few times and it will likely start, which might get you by for a while. Call CDan and get a new set of starter contacts and a plunger and rebuild the starter in that nice heated garage of yours. This is seriously a :banana: job, as I did it in about two hours while taking my time. Good luck.

Awesome! Thanks for all your help. Was wondering how much a rebuild kit would cost, and if it would be cost effective due to the fact that the cruiser very well may have the factory starter still w/ 174,XXX miles. If anyone could give me CDan number, that would be greatly appreciated. Would do rebuild myself, but not exactly mechanically talented. Would love to be shown how to by someone who knows how to do this. Will put this offer out there, if anyone is willing to help rebuild starter, will put you up for the night, and offer you 2 1/2 price lift kits or one full day pass FREE at Crested Butte. BTW, the extreme terrain just got opened w/ 41 in. of fresh this past week! Thanks guys!

1-800-432-6668 ext:7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom