'93 FZJ80 Installed New Battery now Clock doesn't work/turn on??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys - searched the forums and haven't been able to find something close with my exact issues (if you find a thread plz send!)

I have a '93 FZJ80 with 240K miles and just installed a brand new battery. The only odd thing was the alarm went off when i connected the battery, but i've checked all the fuses inside the rig no issues. My dome light and radio work....and my radio presets are saved once i turn my rig off and on (in case its a constant power wire thing). All my interior lights and buttons work outside the clock - weird? The clock was 100% operational before the battery install...any suggestions on next steps/ideas?

thanks, nate

I had this happen to me on my 93, reconnected power and had no numbers and a loud buzzing at the clock, I disconnected all battery power again and reconnected and the clock lit up back to normal 12:00.

I had this happen to me on my 93, reconnected power and had no numbers and a loud buzzing at the clock, I disconnected all battery power again and reconnected and the clock lit up back to normal 12:00.

Thanks for the data point Shoredreamer! I just disconnected the battery...cleaned all the terminals and reconnected. The alarm went off like usual, the clock didn't turn on but 4hrs later i randomly started the 80 to run errands and sure enough the clock came back to life!! I wonder if its the connection at the clock or ground wire?

Its the little things that i like to keep going on the 80 as well as the major systems :)

Sounds like the clock may just have a finicky Power-on Reset circuit.

From the internet:

A power-on reset (PoR) is a circuit that provides a predictable, regulated voltage to a microprocessor or microcontroller with the initial application of power. The PoR system ensures that the microprocessor or microcontroller will start in the same condition every time that it is powered up.

A well-designed PoR circuit can ensure that when power is applied to a computer, it will start up properly every time (or almost every time), and will never (or rarely) freeze up right away. This feature not only saves the user a great deal of frustration, but it offers a last resort in case of a stubborn system crash: the so-called cold boot, where the computer is completely powered-down for a minute or two, and then powered-up all over again.

Check your voltage from the battery when running, should be 13.0 or higher. The clock seems to be the first thing to go out with low voltage. Besides cleaning your battery connections, check your alternator's voltage too. Another thing is check/replace the fusible link.

Everything above but also worthy to just check the fuse. I replaced my battery and the fuse decided to go, kind of a fluke and never had any problems since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom