'93 FZJ80 Exhaust Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

I'm about to pick up a pretty well built '93 FZJ 80, but it looks like it could really use a new exhaust system. I'm interested in replacing everything from the front cats, back. I've seen many a thread on here from almost 10 years ago about what systems are available out there, but I can't seem to find any up to date info on who is still producing what.

For further info, I'm in CA, so I'd need something that would ideally not throw any CELs. Does anybody know what shops are still making/selling full exhaust systems?

Thanks in advance

Edit: Also if someone could explain to me why '95-'97 exhaust components are not also spec'd for '93 and '94 FZJ's that would be awesome.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I'm about to pick up a pretty well built '93 FZJ 80, but it looks like it could really use a new exhaust system. I'm interested in replacing everything from the front cats, back. I've seen many a thread on here from almost 10 years ago about what systems are available out there, but I can't seem to find any up to date info on who is still producing what.

For further info, I'm in CA, so I'd need something that would ideally not throw any CELs. Does anybody know what shops are still making/selling full exhaust systems?

Thanks in advance

Edit: Also if someone could explain to me why '95-'97 exhaust components are not also spec'd for '93 and '94 FZJ's that would be awesome.
The 93-94 exhaust has side by side cats and route over the frame.
95-97 have inline cats and route under the frame.

Explain again where you want to start the new section? "from the front cats back" is confusing. Anyhow, I ordered the bosal cat back parts for my 97 and it fit beautifully. I'd get better seals however, as the ones that come with them were fiddly and I had to have an exhaust shop fine tune out some leaks. Rock Auto for the win.

Explain again where you want to start the new section? "from the front cats back" is confusing. Anyhow, I ordered the bosal cat back parts for my 97 and it fit beautifully. I'd get better seals however, as the ones that come with them were fiddly and I had to have an exhaust shop fine tune out some leaks. Rock Auto for the win.
His is a 93 with a different configuration.

I think CA requires a visual check as well as operational check, so it must be close.

Probably better off to buy the Magnaflow individual cats and have a local exhaust shop rebuild it all.

Yes, I know - I have a 93. But I'm unclear where he wants to replace from. OP?

your best bet if your not sure on what the state requirements are then you should go to a local shop that can make one. they'll know what you need to pass smog and if you wanted to make any changes they can advise what can be done and what cant be done.

bosal and walker are pretty good aftermarket parts that should last for a while

All the vendors I contacted about cats ask you if your vehicle is registered in various states as it's a state regulation that drives the emissions in general. However, I think we've lost the OP who has only 2 posts and never came back. It was important that he clarify where he wants to start with new parts but he may not have purchased the vehicle, eh?

So, in my head I wanted to do the whole system, headers, cats, muffler, tail pipe, the works. But yea, can't really get CARB rated headers for the 1FZ. So alternatively, I'd like to at least be able to get a high flow downpipe system and matching pipe diameter muffler and tail pipes.

I called around and it seems as though the only option would be to buy cats and just have a shop fab up some downpipe solution with the CARB rated cats and just join it with a muffler.

Kinda sucks I can't just get something off the shelf. :confused:

Over my years of reading here, it appears that headers and higher flow/larger diameter systems don't net any gains for the 1FZ. Perhaps if you're thinking about forced induction there would be some difference, but then a turbo system is going to have its own down pipe anyway.

My exhaust is original with 237k and a few years spent living in a rust state. My O2 sensor studs and nuts have been a complete mess to work with and I recently took it to an exhaust shop expecting to need to replace most of the system. The mechanic said that it really wasn't in that bad of shape, but that he did find a pin hole leak in the valley of the Y-pipe, which he welded up (for free too!). Your exhaust may not be as bad as you think, which may save you thousands!

Yea, the lack of kit systems to get this done has kinda turned me away from it anyways. Also really sucks the TRD supercharger doesn't work for the '93. OF COURSE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom