93 FJ80 Steering Knuckle Issue (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do you know which parts you received, exactly? Sometimes it’s as simple as an aftermarket axle seal leaking from the start, and as he said, different bearings can affect preload, but I don’t recall which kit they sell.

Don’t want to worry you, but they don’t have a great rep here, though some have had no issues.

CruiserParts.net Scam Scam Scammers - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/cruiserparts-net-scam-scam-scammers.846232/

I believe some folks put a little moly grease behind the seal to better keep the spring in place

Did you inspect the axle shafts where the old seals had been riding? Sometimes there can be enough wear that a new seal won’t do its job well enough

Last edited:
Do you know which parts you received, exactly? Sometimes it’s as simple as an aftermarket axle seal leaking from the start, and as he said, different bearings can affect preload, but I don’t recall which kit they sell.

Don’t want to worry you, but they don’t have a great rep here, though some have had no issues.

CruiserParts.net Scam Scam Scammers - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/cruiserparts-net-scam-scam-scammers.846232/

I believe some folks put a little moly grease behind the seal to better keep the spring in place

Did you inspect the axle shafts where the old seals had been riding? Sometimes there can be enough wear that a new seal won’t do its job well enough
Yeah, not the easiest folks I’ve ever dealt with. Parts all fit and seemed fine. I think I’ll try again with Toyota stealership seals. At this point I’m guessing I must have inadvertently damaged them during installation. I should be able to tell if I have the spring come off with the end of the axle. I’ll repost once I get it sorted out.

Toyota's have trunnion bearings. Some vehicles have king pins. When I asked what kind of trunnions you have, I'm asking what brand bearings and part number you installed. That can affect preload. Anyway hope you get it figured out.
They are still 'kingpins' on 80's. Here in Oz we call them kingpins and kingpin bearings. There are two for each swivel hub. Koyo or Timken or SKF are the normally recommended brands. Koyo brand has been merged into Jtekt now btw.

The top kingpin has shims (or can be fitted with none if the gives the right pre-load range). Most swivel hub rebuilds kits (like the Terrain Tamer ones we get here) have some extra shims supplied. I'm about to build up a new front housing with swivel hubs not originally fitted to it so the shims will probably need adjustment.

Also we don't use the term Birfield - to us they are 'cv joints'. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom