1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'93 FJ80 - Just bought it and it runs ROUGH!

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by CrackerBob, Aug 24, 2006.

1. CrackerBob

CrackerBob

93 FJ80 all stock with 133k I just bought yesterday from out of town (100+ miles). Drove it a few days ago and it ran rough. Guy said he'd (dealer that sells on ebay) have it cleaned up and tuned up for me before I picked it up.
    So yesterday he said the 'hose' on the top of the motor (foot long, size of your arm around) was leaking and that a new one was ordered and he'd ship it too me.....
    Ran really rough down the Interstate most of the way going home, not always, but usually when I gave it some gas.
    Checked under the hood today and looks like he put a new distributor cap, spark plug wires, and I would assume plugs (tho I didn't check).
    I wrote to him last night and told him the situation and he wrote back it sounded like it might be an electrical problem, and I would tend to agree. He told me to take it to the local Toyota dealer and have it fixed and he would pay me back. I'm wondering if I should wait for the part he ordered or take it in tomorrow. I wrote to the guy this morning but haven't heard back.
    Any problems particular to the FJ80 that this sounds like? I'd appreciate any advice on what this might be making my new truck run rough.

...and yeah, I'm def a noob! :D

2. ace10

ace10

Media:
    Albums:
    first off it's an FJZ80.

second off. return that rig immediately!!! why on earth would you want to be in the middle of this potential headache? could be electrical, could be a blown HG, could be anything...

$0.02

3. archie

archie

Here's a few things to check.
    In the 80's section there are FAQ sticky's, Look through that and see if you can find a similar thread with your similar problem.
    Do an advance search using words like "vacuum leak" and "rough engine idle".
    Post your location just in case somebody on the board will volunteer to look at your engine.
    Check all plugs/ignition wires if they are connected properly
    Check all hoses for cracks.
    Update us with what you see.

Oh yeah, here's your welcome salute :flipoff2: :)

4. -Spike-

-Spike-

That's a pretty extreme reply. Also, it happens to be an FZJ 80, not an FJZ, as if it makes any difference. If the intake hose is cracked (sounds like the part you described) it would have those symptoms. I'd wait, replace the part, and most likely you'll have the truck you thought you bought. If not, sounds like the guy is willing to fix the problem.

-Spike

5. tarbe

tarbe

Houston, Texas for now - Romance, MO soon!
    Very well sounds like it could be the intake tube. These hoses do harden and crack after about 10 years or so, and cause the rough running you describe.

Hopefully he really will send you one. Put it on and see what happens.

6. ace10

ace10

Media:
    Albums:
    sorry neglected to put a :flipoff2: after the traditional ugly ih8mud welcome:rolleyes:

second. if the buyer has the chance of returning the vehicle, why wouldn't they? it sounds like a classis case of buying someone else's headache. is it worth chasing down a rough engine, which may or may not be a simple issue (ie HG) or just drop it in the seller's lap and find a more pristine example. that's exactly the advice the board would have given bob, if the situation had been posed PRE-PURCHASE.

like i said $0.02

7. -Spike-

-Spike-

And this is my opinion- if replacing an $80 part fixes the truck, and he then has the truck he wanted, why not do it? Especially if the $80 part is free? Then, if it needs a head gasket, and the seller offers to do that as well, he now has a truck with a new head gasket. Free. And if it becomes too much of a headache, take it back. Rough running vehicles don't scare me- there's way too many minor things that can cause a problem, at any time. No reason to turn down a good deal, if it can be fixed.

-Spike

8. -Spike-

-Spike-

Just for clarification- I am not 'the board'. Pre-purchase, I would have suggested he try to figure out what the problem with the truck was and get that figured into the negotiation. Or asked him where the truck was so I could go buy it cheap.

-Spike

9. cruiserman

cruiserman

Put some saran wrap around the intake hose until the new one arrives. It will fix the problem temporarily.

10. SUMMIT CRUISERS

SUMMIT CRUISERS SILVER Star

I'm laughing, I thought I was the only one who had done the saran wrap trick. If you got duct tape it also works.

11. tucker74

tucker74 Moderator

A cracked intake hose on a 1FZE will do exactly what you describe - take it off and wrap it with duct tape. I know from experience ;)

Then enjoy your new truck!

:cheers:

Tucker

BTW: If it got a flat on the way home would you take it back? This is actually more common than you think with FZJ80s as dealers change the air filter on the trucks before selling them ... and crack the brittle intake hose in the process.

12. Critter

Critter

A miss mixture of air/fuel could definetely cause it run rough, so it could very well be the intake hose.

Mass air flow sensor could also be the cause of this too, especially if the PO put in an oil filter like K&N and over oiled it.

I would be tempted to park it if the intake hose is cracked because it seems as though to me drawing in unfiltered air would be a reason for concern if exposure is prolonged.

13. RAYJON

RAYJON Get a bigger hammer..

along with what everyone else has said let me add this, if it has aftermarket plug wires, cap, rotor, loose them.. the factory stuff from Cdan is 10 times better and this goes for all other parts too and they are usually cheeper from Cdan than the aftermarket stuff...

also being that it is a 93 they rarely blow a head gasket unless overheated real bad, if it is doing what you say sounds like a miss could be the air tube or ignition related, best thing to do if you haven't take it to a "good" shop that knows cruisers and have them basline the truck for you. and give you a list of everything it needs.. may cost you 200$ or so but you will know what you are into...

Now remember many of the people on this board are anal about their cruisers, me included. So just to give you an idea here are a few things I had to do to my 93 when I got it.. and the previous owner was very good about maintence...

belts-- had aftermarket belts they make noise due to the ribbed part hitting the idler
    ldler pulleys, both of them were making noise
    plug wires, cap, rotor, plugs,--- just because
    valve cover gasket
    flush power steering fluid
    fuel pump(220k it was week)
    EGR valve replaced
    cleaned throttle body and egr passages,
    checked all the vacume hoses..
    PHH, pesky heater hose you will find out about this one..
    upper and lower radiator hoses,
    brakes all the way arround with toyota pads... aftermarkets squeek,
    lube drivelines.

things I need to do and haven't

oil leak next to oil pump
    O2 sensors---

things that were done before I bought it 6 months that I would have done otherwise..

Birnfields repacked
    trans flushed
    Differential fluids changed,

Overall on each of the cruisers I have spent about 500+$ in parts right after I got them to clean them up, which isn't bad considering what I have now and how reliable they are if you maintain them. I have no problem taking my 93 with 220k on the clock anywhere it runs great and is 100% reliable...

good luck

Last edited: Aug 25, 2006
  14. CrackerBob

CrackerBob

Many thanks for the great advice! One of the reasons I decided to buy a TLC was the IH8MUD forums. Figured great support and it looks like i was right.
    After some Saran wrap AND duct tape the truck runs much mo' better! :D Still idles rough, but nothing like before. I should have the new intake hose in a few days and I'm hoping that will do it. Drove around town a little and I can see why you guys like these vehicles! Can't wait for the next time I'm using the boat ramp at low tide with all that green slime. Now I can just lock and go! ;)
    Thanks again!
    Bob

(and thanks to rayjon for the list of things I should do)

15. cruiserman

cruiserman

Not on a '93. It's a vane style "meter".

16. RAYJON

RAYJON Get a bigger hammer..

try cleaning the throtle body and IAC this usually clears up a rough idle...

ohh and welcome...

17. Skillet

Skillet Skillet

Media:
    Albums:
    Worthless without pictures.

:flipoff2:

18. CrackerBob

CrackerBob

I thought you'd never ask! ;)

[​IMG]

19. tarbe

tarbe

Houston, Texas for now - Romance, MO soon!
    Nice score. Be sure to read up on the FAQ for maintenance/baselining ideas.

Oh, and we aren't supposed to have to ask for pics ;)

20. Ivan80

Ivan80

Media:
    Albums:
    I love the red, but I've never seen that color combo with the grey bottom, beautiful. And with an ARB even...very cool.

Have fun.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">