93 fj80 Ac makes loud squealing sound

Why does Ac make squealing noise on 93 fj80

• Repairs

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • All

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
why does may Ac run fine then start squealing? Then I shut it off and the sound goes away but comes back when I turn back on

A couple things to check. First check the belt tension, then the condition of the idler pulley.

I will look at those first. If it is the idler pulley would this noise happen even with the ac off

There is the pulley itself, which the belt runs over. There is all the clutch mechanism which engages the pulley and turns the compressor. I imagine both have bearings.

I will look at those first. If it is the idler pulley would this noise happen even with the ac off

Yes. I have an AC idler pulley laying here on the bench that froze up the bearing. It made lots of noise because the belt turns constantly when the motor runs. Bearing can be replaced cheaply. Bearing # 6301RSR

Mine just started doing that today. A/C clutch disengaged and there's no squeal, but when the clutch engages the banshee inside my engine bay gets pissed. I'm guessing it's the actual compressor. It makes sense that it would squeal on a bad bearing when the belt starts turning the clutch.

Or it could be as simple as a slack belt. Have you checked your belt condition and tension?

Thanks for the info I am going to try and check the belts and lower ac idler pulley this weekend if that doesn't do it the tension pulley and bearing will be my next check

Yes! The old one should pop out pretty easy. Available on Amazon or any bearing supply house. Very common bearing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom