93 Extra Cab Refresh Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All, I am trying to bring back my grandpas old 93 extracab 4x4. I got it about a year and a half ago and put on just under 20K so far. When I first got it, it had about 340,000 on it, ticky tacky, but had consistent mileage of about 21 MPG going about 45 miles and 4000 feet each way every day. When we moved back to the city, it started puking white smoke and running really rough, so I parked it till I could do the head gasket. The poor thing sat for a year while I got my stuff together- found it wasn't the gasket but the head was electrolysed. Finally got my hands on a rebuilt aftermarket head, and a cam and gasket kit from Ted, and got it all back together. I mean, sure< I should have just done the bottom end too >...Poor cylinder walls were pretty shiney, but I figure I'd run it till it didn't...just wanted the thing back on the road. It fired up and didn't puke white smoke or leak, so I let it run in. Shut it off and adjusted the valves and checked for leaks. Fired it back up and found the exhaust manifold leaking at the down pipe. Replaced the gaskets like 3 times and decided to get an aftermarket manifold and downpipe after messing with a used set that also leaked. After some cussing and caressing of the cheap AM pipe, I welded it's Y and flange to my old OEM pipe and got it to fit and seal. It actually passed smog with flying colors and I got it a sticker from the DMV for Thanks Givings. I have been daily driving it about 30 miles to and from work, and have adjusted the valves again and got it a bit quieter. ...
Now this thing never had POWER, but it could go on its own. After about 3 full tanks, I am realizing it isn't getting very good mileage- about 15.73 as of last night; down from 17.8 on the last fill up. It does have a bit of a roughness to the idle- about 750, but sometimes after a warm start, it goes to below 500) I cannot find any vacuum leaks or exhaust leaks. There are NO stored coded and the CEL is functional. The TPS checks out and timing is 5*. new plugs and wires are only a few thousand miles old- they are vatozone crap, tho...The temp is consistent and right below half. The oil pressure is a bit low but there. I run 87 octane on brand new Kenda 235 75 15 street tires. I want to say pressure is good, but need to verify that. I am leaning toward replacing the injectors at this point. My buddy Cruiserfj45 is bringing me a leakdown tool, so I can verify the rings need to be done, but if anyone else has any other suggestions, I'd like to get this resolved before continuing to get it back up to snuf. TIA

What cam are you running?

Supposedly the stock replacement...I was really enjoying the way it ran before it smoked the head...I haven't measured the old cam or the new cam, but must assume that Gpa didn't do anything to the motor outside of just fix it, and by fix it, I mean change the timing chain.

tire pressure is 34 rear and 38 front cold. The hubs aren't locked, and the wheels never feel hot, like there's something dragging...Well, I guess I'll torque check the head and warm it up, adjust the valves again and do a leakdown test.

well, I guess I spun a rod bearing last night at 360440 miles. truck gets towed home today. off to find a lower 22re...

yeah, just put new tires on it too. looks like I'm committed, now. Got a line on a running complete for $500. Just weighing out whether I should just spend a bit more now and get a fully rebuilt, or go with another handmedown

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom