93 Camry 4 cylinder Over heating!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had just about had it with this car. Back in November i bought this car from a friend to help them out with $$. A week later the water pumps goes out. I do the work on y cars myself so i looked it up and replaced it and the thermostat. *eye roll* my dumb ass turned the motor so it took me a few months to learn and understand how to fix the timing my self. well i did, then all my coolant kept being pushed into my reservoir -_- . So was told there is probably a clog so i did a flush. Started to over heat after about 15 min so i was then told the thermostat was probably clogged from the crap that was clogging. so i replaced it again when i flushed the cleaning crap out ( yes i followed the directions on how to use the cleaner/ flush) Well when i was filling it up again a massive about of foam was coming out of the radiator cap. now this damn car over heats in mins and bad. there isn't any leak just oil from the seal which i should have replaced when i did my water pump so i know where that is coming from. So any suggestions on what i should do next or should i just give up on this car i bought it for $500 and it has cost me well over that.

If there's oil coming out of your water pump seal, yeah you got some HG issues.

Luckily they're not horrible to replace, just pop the valve cover off, take the bolts off on the head, lift it up and slap it in. No sense in decking the head or anything like that on a $500 car. Just do what you need to to get it going.

And how does being a dick help them? Not everyone knows Toyota Land Cruisers. 90's series referring to a Land Cruiser series. If I were you I'd post the same question to this forum which will be more helpful.

If there's oil coming out of your water pump seal, yeah you got some HG issues.

Luckily they're not horrible to replace, just pop the valve cover off, take the bolts off on the head, lift it up and slap it in. No sense in decking the head or anything like that on a $500 car. Just do what you need to to get it going.

No oil coming from the water pump seal

No oil coming from the water pump seal

Do a leak down test before you go any further if you have access to one. Also did you make sure that you burped the system and there are no air bubbles in there.

Not sure why but I thought you said oil was leaking from the water pump seal? What did you mean?

Do a leak down test before you go any further if you have access to one. Also did you make sure that you burped the system and there are no air bubbles in there.

Not sure why but I thought you said oil was leaking from the water pump seal? What did you mean?

when i was replacing the water pump i didn't replace the oil seal down there it was recommended, but i didn't have time.
is that the chemical test?

when i was replacing the water pump i didn't replace the oil seal down there it was recommended, but i didn't have time.

Oh you're talking about the front main oil seal. That makes sense.

And here's a great video on how to do a leak down test. A coolant pressure test could be a good idea too if the leak down test shows that everything is A-Ok.

Really if hg is that bad, fill coolant system, leave rad cap off, start car. If it's spitting out the radiator your hg is gone.

I've never seen a forum that was so hell bent on sticking to the thread. Had a similar situation in the 200 series thread where a member asked me about my supercharged 5th gen. Moderator was d*ckish told me to only talk 200 series vehicles...apparently owning a Land Cruiser requires certain personality traits. No one on the 4Runner forum (3rd, 4th, and 5th gen) threads were concerned about discussing other vehicles.

I've never seen a forum that was so hell bent on sticking to the thread. Had a similar situation in the 200 series thread where a member asked me about my supercharged 5th gen. Moderator was d*ckish told me to only talk 200 series vehicles...apparently owning a Land Cruiser requires certain personality traits. No one on the 4Runner forum (3rd, 4th, and 5th gen) threads were concerned about discussing other vehicles.
No, it keeps it clean and organized so the newbs can find stuff!

No, it keeps it clean and organized so the newbs can find stuff!

I guess...never seen a problem with other forums. Every now and then it's ok to discuss topics other than a 200 series, 100 series, etc. It's the same conversation at the coffee shop...

giphy.gif

I guess...never seen a problem with other forums. Every now and then it's ok to discuss topics other than a 200 series, 100 series, etc. It's the same conversation at the coffee shop...

View attachment 1973056
It's part of what makes this site so much better than those others!

No, leakdown isn’t the chem test.
The chem test:

At the chain auto parts stores (I know last time I got one was at NAPA) - you get a kit of purple-ish liquid & a housing that holds it, you place it over the open radiator cap port on the radiator.

If the purple liquid turns a “gatorade lemon/lime”-color, you have hydrocarbons reacting & that means you’re pushing gas & exhaust fumes past the HG into the antifreeze.

Pushing past = HG is toast & maybe even worse, like warped head, etc.

If you fail the chem test, you at least know at a minimum you’re buying/doing a HG job - if you want to keep the car.

5sfe is not known for HG issues. A few common overheating issues are caused by an incorrectly installed timing belt, the use of an aftermarket coolant temp sensor which doesn’t have the proper circuit to kick the fan(s) on, and radiator/fan/relay issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom