93-94 antenna fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

semlin

curmudgeon
Threads
It's said that for the want of a nail, a kingdom was lost. In my case it's an annoying little nut on my power antenna cable. Has anyone figured out a way to replace/reattach the nut that attaches from the nylon cable to the antenna mast on a 93-94 fzj80 without replacing the whole motor assembly? If you have no idea what I am talking about, read on.

If you own a 93-94 with a broken antenna you may find the fix can be a lot pricier that on the 95-97. On the 93-94 there is a little stud on the bottom of the antenna mast that attaches to a 'nut' on the end of the nylon cable that feeds into the drum in the motor assembly. I put the word 'nut' it in quotes because mine was missing, and I've never actually seen what it looks like.

Here's the problem. You can't buy the nylon cable with the little nut on it as a replacement. All you can buy is the mast or the entire power antenna motor assembly. If your cable is broken and/or your nut gets lost then you have nothing to attach your cable to the antenna unless you buy the entire motor assembly.

There is a compromise solution. Robbie Antonson at Slee Offroad kindly pointed out that the power antennae assembly for an 85 4runner uses the same cable drum as the 93-94 fzj80, although the nylon cable is permanently attached to the antenna mast. You can buy the '85 replacement kit for $30, thread the new cable into the fzj80 drum after shortening it a couple of inches, and jam the slightly larger mast from the 4runner into the fzj80 mast sleeve. It works but, unfortunately, it never fully extends, and I have found that 9 months later you may find your antenna sticks a lot and that you would really like a better fix.

So I'd like to find this nut mechanism and graft it onto a cable and attach a proper 93 replacement mast. Does anyone have any suggestions that don't involve a joke about Junk's momma and 'nuts'.

Does anyone have any suggestions that don't involve a joke about Junk's momma and 'nuts'.

Not too likely...

I put the word 'nut' it in quotes because mine was missing, and I've never actually seen what it looks like.

That is quite the problem you got there...

Actually I replaced mine with a manual mast and removed the button from the dash. Power antennae are pansy anyways. :D

Simon,

There is a repair cable and drum that was used for middle 80's Camrys and Celicas. It is an 86327-22211. It lists for $16.32 US. It consists of a cable with the mast attaching nut swedged on the end and a drum. The cable is just under 46 inches long. I have not tried to use one in an 80 series antenna. I don't know if the drum would work but I bet the cable would. The 80 series mast will fit on the end.
I do stock it.

Dan.

thanks Dan, is "swedged" a toyota term?? I will try this out and report.

Hell, I dunno Simon :p .

I probably spelled it wrong. :slap: It's "smashed" on there, OK? :banana:

[quote author=Rogue link=board=2;threadid=5782;start=msg45930#msg45930 date=1064866693]

Actually I replaced mine with a manual mast and removed the button from the dash. Power antennae are pansy anyways. :D
[/quote]

That's my Franco-Mexican buddy - Manuel Antennea. I still have my power button on the dash for use on the dash mounted winch control as seen on Christo's site. All I need is a winch. :D

:D

In case you have a 93/94

I just did this fix with Dan's Camry cable. Worked like a charm.

I believe we have a new record for resurrecting an old thread, gents.

DougM

camry fix is still working for me :D

NorCalDoug said:

In case you have a 93/94

Hey this isn't chat!!! :D

My '94 antenna works like a charm..... ;) data point.

Knock on wood...to scare off Dan's heebbie geebbies...

Damit!!! I always fall for these threads. Gotta look at the year more often.

I wasn't trying to fool anyone. Just trying to help myself and a fellow forum member by bumping a few of these back up to the top for easier access.

I'm on my third antenna. It seems that kids find it a convenient handle when slipping in the snow.

I'm going to resurrect this thread one more time.

I just discovered what Simon already knew; there was nothing to screw the antenna mast into toe cable.

And, in the process, I managed to suck the cable, which was previously easy to access, right into the drum and can't get it out.

How's that Camry fix working? Still good?

Also, it looks like the antenna assembly is a PITA to remove from the fender. I looked in the FSM but couldn't find the re/re on the motor assembly (my FSM only has the mast replacement for some reason)...

For those who have done it, what's the best way? I'm thinking the wheel-well, but I haven't changed out of my church clothes to get under there yet.

I replaced mine through the engine bay. There is a large enough access hole in the fender wall that you can reach through. My hands are medium to small sized though (size 8 gloves) so it may or may not work for you.

Success! Took about two hours, including replacing the drum and cable.

As for getting the motor assembly out, that was the easierst part. Getting the bolts back in was a little trickier without being able to "spot" the holes. I ended up attaching the assembly at the fender surface (using the chrome nut), and just gently wiggling the assembly at the bottom until the lower bolt "found" the hole.

I also spent about ten minutes trying to coil the cabe inside the new drum before realising, duh, that I could just thread it through the assembly and wind it using the electric motor. :rolleyes:

Man, I just replace my mast a week ago and treated that little nut kinda roughly with some needle nose pliers while tightening it. I'll remember that next time.

DougM

What I don't like, though, is that there's no cut-off for the motor when the mast reaches either end of its range of movement.

What I mean is the screw that drives the reel keeps turning (clunk, clunk, clunk, clunk) even when the reel can't rotate anymore.

Is that normal? Seems kind of weird.

I have to say, though, that It's nice having more than one FM station to choose from now. I bought my truck with a broken mast, so I've only had the local soft-rock station to "enjoy".

Now I get two different CBC towers, two different NPR signals, and a whole schwack of commercial stations. It's good to finally be in the 20th Century! Pluse I can listen to "Car Talk" tomorrow while I'm working on the road :D

Last edited:
the clunk clunk no shut down seems to be a camry mod feature. not sure why it does it but I do know it will break your cable eventually. i have to replace mine and figure out why.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom