93 4runner -engine help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jim S.

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello, new to this forum, usually on the fjcruiser or fj 40 section. #1 son's 93 4runner siezed up on the highway. Don't have a damage assesment yet. Don't know whether to repair/rebuild this engine, if possable. or should we purchase a rebuild. Do we have a choice of what year engine to install or are we stuck with another 93. Vehicle is in Dallas, tx. Please advise, thanks.

Engine size? What do you mean by "seized"? Stopped? Seized because of lack of lubricant? There are many options I think-just need to know the damage specifics.

Jukelmon, Engine will not turn over. Went into shop this morning. I'm thinking the worst but will know more later. If the engine needs replacement can we use a later model? Truck is auto 4x4. Thought I read that the early v6 had problems. Truck has 150k on it but is in nice shape. I'll post again when I know more. Unfortunately I'm not in Dallas, or I would know more by now, Thanks, Jim

jim s,the 4unner guys likely will tell ya to change over to a 3.4 liter,not for me however,quite a few places offer reman 3.0s,if it needs engine thats how i would go,i've bought a couple from orient engines in kentucky,1-877-686-7930 ask for Heather.only thing is some places will not install an engine if you didn't by it thru them,good luck

If it's a 3.0, check the other boards as well, like Yotatech, Marlin and pirate in the classifieds section. I do see 3.0's going for under $1000. Probably would want to do headgaskets on them before the install unless you're sure it's been done. If mine gives up the ghost, I'm going 3.4...

cube dwellar,dig your signature,Red Dawn is a cool movie.I watch it any time i'm home sick & no one else here to bother me.Wolverines!!!!!!!

What are the advantages/disadvantages between the 3.0 vs the 3.4. Is it a direct swap?

its not a direct swap,need different computer & wiring harness,check out yotatech.com,put 3.4 swap in search-those guys are all about swapping to 3.4s
not worth the trouble to me,i have a 91 4runner with 302000 miles on the original 3.0,when it lays down i'm putting in a reman 3.0

oh forgot original question-the 3.4 for considerabley more powerful & some would say more reliable also

Guys thanks for the info. I'll post up tomorrow when I have more on what happened to the exhisting engine. Jim

Update

The rod exited the block next to the starter. Going to be looking for a rebuilt. The shop is figuring on $4k by the time they pull this one and put new belts & hoses on the other one. replace the waterpump starter, etc. OUCH'. Thanks again for the help guys. Jim

The 3.0s are junk.. they don't seem to hold up well with young drivers.. there are piles of dead carcasses in my area...

$4K seems a little high. Another option is to call the junkyards for a used 3.0 with relatively low miles. Back in 99, when I used to own a 92 4Runner, I got a quote of about $1500 to swap in another used 3.0 from a junkyard - and that was in Dallas. The 3.0 is notorious for blowing headgaskets, though. Hence, the reason for Toyota's 3.0 headgasket campaign of the late 90's and early 00's. Mine blew its 1st headgasket at just shy of 100K and the 2nd one (with the new and improved headgasket) at around 145K. A few have had good luck with theirs and have never blown a headgasket. Never heard of one blowing a rod through the block, though.

A mechanic will do it for $1,500, ONCE.
Ask around, look at the motor, NIGHTMARE. The first engine swap I ever did and now I won't complane about any thing any more!

I did lay/flip my upper intake over on its top and rested it on top of the fender w/protection of course and thus had to dissconect maby two vac. lines. Job is not immpossable just hard.

I installed a 298k runing 3.0 from a 89/90 2x4 for $400(into 4r).

I drive like Mario Andretti every day, I can, do, and will drift with it every day, ETC switch is stuck in the on position. I red line it every shift, and no sighn of it giving up. 70mph at 3,200 rpm! 4:57's

I'm sure it's a 14mm head bolt.
FFT (food for thought)
IH8W8

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom