92 toyota 4x4 automatic v6 truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i have just bouht a 92 toyota 4x4 automatic v6 long bed truck and was wondering just how good of a truck this is for off roading and if anyone eles has one is there anything i should know about them problem wise, do's and don'ts etc
thanks guys : :cheers:

I have a 93 toy pu with the v6 and it does okay in the light offroad. I have 31x10.50s on it so it is still comforatable to drive down the highway at high speeds but still it gives me clearance when i take it through a mud hole. I was told by a guy at toyota that almost every 3.0 leaks a little oil. he said it was a quark and that most of them start leaking at a very low mileage, so don't worry about the oil leak unless it is significant, just remember to check and keep oil in it.

If your doesn't have larger tires on it i would think of upgrading. Mine( and im guessing yours) has a very light rear-end and the larger tires reduced the torque allowing me to accelerate harder while pulling out on a street without sqwalling the tires to bad. The larger tires also make it look better than the small stock tires.

Mine pulls a boat just fine and it also can pull two large lawnmowers on a large trailer though i don't plan on doing that again. If you are going to haul heavier loads on a trailer i would suggest buying and installing a haul right hitch,. When i bought mine the bumper was bent and after i hauled a bunch of furniture 100 miles in a big trailer my bumper was bent ever more.

lunyou

I have an 89 extended cab with the 3.0 and a 5 speed. I use 31 inch tires. I feel it is a pretty capable off-road truck. The 3.0 is one of Toyota's least respected engines but mine has always run fine, with minimal maintenance, although it does have an oil leak. I bought the truck in March 1994 with 56,000 miles on it. It now has 163,000 miles on it and they have been mostly city miles or miles hauling 3/4s of a ton of gravel up a mountain to my dog kennels. It is a tough truck.

yeah i forgot to answer the off road capabilities part of the question. Mine is capable of hitting the mud holes for some fun, driving through the woods(old logging trails) and other things like that. i wouldn't try to go place that some of these LC owners take their vehicles, unless you upgrade you suspension.

lunyou

The answer to your off-roading question depends on what kind of off-roading you plan to do.

I built my 95 4R for rock crawling on the Rubicon. It does very well, but I wouldn't have built it the same way if I was only doing mild FS roads or mud.

Phil

Where is this oil leak you all speak of?? My 94 4runner had over 250k and never had the front, or rear main seal changed. Infact when I changed the clutch, the rear main seal looked absolutly fine. I know that mine leaked oil from the valve covers but that was quickly fixed as I cannot stand leaks. That was one job that I didn't like along with changing the t-belt. Also I had the little o-ring around the oil cooler seep and that was a quick fix. When I first got it, the power steering also had a leak. A toyota rebuild kit took care of that. There isn't places for oil to leak out of these.

well mine leaks a little bit from the valve cover, and a little bit from the rear seal(i think). A mechanic for a toyota dealer said dont worry about the leak, athat all of the 3.0 will leak a little bit. he wasn't meaning a whole lot. But he was meaning a little.

I need to change the valve cover gasket probably. But the rear seal was replaced about 25000 miles ago. I think the leak out of the back is just seepage.

lunyou

I have a 88 with a 3.0 in it. I have 202,000 miles on mine and the only thing that I have replaced is head gaskets which I hear is a common problem when the engine is getting high on mileage. Other then that, I drive it to work everyday and it's never missed a beat.
I would also change to 31's if you haven't already, it's well worth it when you want to do some offroading.

Bear80 said:
Where is this oil leak you all speak of?? My 94 4runner had over 250k and never had the front, or rear main seal changed. Infact when I changed the clutch, the rear main seal looked absolutly fine. I know that mine leaked oil from the valve covers but that was quickly fixed as I cannot stand leaks. That was one job that I didn't like along with changing the t-belt. Also I had the little o-ring around the oil cooler seep and that was a quick fix. When I first got it, the power steering also had a leak. A toyota rebuild kit took care of that. There isn't places for oil to leak out of these.

I am having presently the timing belt changed at a shop I trust; the mechanic who is working on it called and recommended changing the seals to stop the oil leak.

The truck still runs very well and mechanically is in good shape. It is a rusty but trusty second vehicle and I use it every weekend . So the question I am wrestling with, is whether or not to get the body work done when my 04 Xterra is paid off....(2 vehicles are my limit and the new Tacos look pretty nice....)

92 Toy with 3.0 engine

I bought my 92 Toy new, 3.0 engine, 31' tires. It now has 170,000 miles on it and not an oil leak. I installed lockers front/rear, and have done the Rubicon Trail twice and the Dusy Ershim Trail once. Totally stock suspension.

Toyota reliability just cn't be beat.

Don
Pleasanton, Ca

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom